View Poll Results: How do you rate the album ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 Music for BOF's

0 0%
  • 2/10 Is this Prog? I hate Prog.

0 0%
  • 3/10 Same old thing.

0 0%
  • 4/10 Its alright I suppose.

1 3.85%
  • 5/10 Some nice sounds going on.

0 0%
  • 6/10 Quite like a couple of tracks.

1 3.85%
  • 7/10 This is a good album.

3 11.54%
  • 8/10 Great guitar and melodies.

2 7.69%
  • 9/10 Up there with the best of them.

8 30.77%
  • 10/10 A timeless classic , brilliant.

11 42.31%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club 29/05/2012 : Wishbone Ash - Argus

I'm Barry.

Default Album Club 29/05/2012 : Wishbone Ash - Argus

I bought this album when it came out in 1972 because I saw them do "Blowin' Free" a catchy number on The Whistle Test. I never gave the album a chance I was too young to appreciate it and swapped it for Deep Purple In Rock.
    About 10 years ago I picked up the remastered CD in HMV. I still get a thrill each time I play it as the acoustic guitar on the first track breaks the silence with magic. There are seven quality tracks (Please ignore any tracks after 7 they are not on the original and don't fit in.)
    A few will own this, how it will be received by our younger members I'm not sure.

Here is a review off Progarchives,
    by Tony Fisher (PROG REVIEWER)

5 stars ,This album is sensational and is Wishbone's masterpiece. Over 30 years after its release, it sounds as fresh and exciting as ever and, along with The Snow Goose, is my most played album. The guitar play throughout is breathtaking and melodic, Andy Powell and Ted Turner complementing each other and swapping solos and riffs effortlessly whilst Martin Turner contributes some sensational bass lines and Steve Upton's drums are sensitive and inventive. For the first time, they include keyboards, with Jon Tout of Renaissance guesting on organ in Throw Down The Sword. This adds an extra dimension and, subsequently, Graham Maitland (ex Glencoe) would tour with them. Are they prog? Probably, at least on this album; they have some definite prog characteristics but who cares when they're as good as this?

All seven tracks are an aural delight (ignore the CD's bonus track which has no place in such exalted company). Their previous albums were brilliant for the most part, but were somewhat flawed by rough edges and some undeveloped ideas. This is expertly constructed and produced. The tracks change between gentle acoustic passages to full blooded rock seamlessly. All seven tracks are highlights and still feature in their live repertoire to this day; it's amazing to see 17 year olds singing along to songs recorded long before they were born. I will refrain from describing each track; the best way to discover this album is to buy it and hear for yourself.

This album was voted best album of 1972 - ahead of Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick and Foxtrot. Did it deserve this accolade? Without any doubt at all; excellent though those albums are, this is on a higher plane altogether. Very few albums deserve the title perfect: this is one. Essential to any collection.

http://open.spotify.com/album/5v2VhaPqn4kydTX06Mdvse

I'm Paul.

Excellent choice. This is the only Wishbone Ash LP I have. Good excuse for a listen.

I'm ILOB.

Not listened to this for years
    So no idea what I think of it these days I report back latter in the week
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

MartinT Guest

Great choice, Barry. This is one of the finest albums from that period in my collection and features all of Wishbone Ash's greats apart from Persephone (on the There's The Rub album). No pyrotechnics, just melodic lines and twin lead guitars that hook me in every time with great singing as a bonus.

I listen to it a lot in the car and have no trouble giving it 10/10.

I'm John.

Yes, a brilliant album. I still play it regularly along with There's The Rub. Fantastic.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm ILOB.

I am afried I am going to be the odd one out here The reason why I had not listened to this for years is that I always found it a average album and my view point has not really changed.
    I want music to move me or connect with me in some wa,y this just rushes over me, its not that it bad, but just does not inspire me to want to listen the way it does for others. To be honest I wanted to give it a 5 but 4 sums it up for me so much more
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Paul.

A fine album,no question about it! 10/10
    Paul.

I'm Keith.

The only Wishbone Ash LP I own. I don't recall playing it since I got back into vinyl a year or two ago - so I haven't listened to this for at least 7 years. Will give it a clean, a spin or two and then post back.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

If anyone hasn't got a copy of this & is forced to use Spotify - DON'T! It sounds shite...

Use Grooveshark, it sounds sooo much better No commercials either if you don't happen to be a premium member
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    If anyone hasn't got a copy of this & is forced to use Spotify - DON'T! It sounds shite...

Use Grooveshark, it sounds sooo much better No commercials either if you don't happen to be a premium member
    Good shout Mark and as before stop after 7.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast