+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Directional Cables. Is it a myth?

I'm Geoff.

Default Directional Cables. Is it a myth?

Why are so many Hi-Fi speaker cables and interconnects specifed and marked as being directional? This must be a myth. An audio cable deals with a reciprocating signal and by it's very nature should behave and measure exactly the same way in either direction. I know somebody will start on about crystal alignment and molecular structure, etc. etc., but has anybody tested the principle? Geoff.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    but has anybody tested the principle? Geoff.
    Countless times Geoff and its been discussed countless times too

Normally ends in a handbag fight, so good luck with this one fella
    My two penneth, it matters not one jot what people tell you, you have to try something yourself in your own system - that's the only true test IMO and it does make a difference.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Alan.

My recently aquired speaker cables are marked for direction. I did not notice so installed them the "wrong way round". They are still that way and sound fine. I agree with your logic but there are others.......

and Tim they make a difference to you and some, the same is not true for every one. It is dependant on the person. It is just an opinion albeit widely held here.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Why are so many Hi-Fi speaker cables and interconnects specifed and marked as being directional? This must be a myth. An audio cable deals with a reciprocating signal and by it's very nature should behave and measure exactly the same way in either direction. I know somebody will start on about crystal alignment and molecular structure, etc. etc., but has anybody tested the principle? Geoff.
    Some interconnects are semi balanced (earth and ground connected at one end)
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanS View Post
    My recently aquired speaker cables are marked for direction. I did not notice so installed them the "wrong way round". They are still that way and sound fine. I agree with your logic but there are others.......

and Tim they make a difference to you and some, the same is not true for every one. It is dependant on the person. It is just an opinion albeit widely held here.
    Have you tried them the 'right way' round to compare. They might 'sound' better that way.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Have you tried them the 'right way' round to compare. They might 'sound' better that way.
    and they may sound
    a) the same
    b) worse due to alledged directionality due to use, burn in
    c) cannot decide if they are different
    d) keep thinking about the non directional cables

I'll leave the possible benefit for later.

I'm John.

and they may sound
    a) the same
    b) worse due to alledged directionality due to use, burn in
    c) cannot decide if they are different
    d) keep thinking about the non directional cables

I'll leave the possible benefit for later.
    Well I don't disagree with you; it was just a thought that popped into my head. It would be interesting if you could try it and report if you found any difference.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm tommy.

as a former "cable" maker , AEI cable division birtley , the copper conductor niether knows nor cares where it is pointing , the sheathing however is layed in one direction , does it make a difference , boubt it , unless the trapped air gets worked up and can't escape
    getting older and now getting wiser

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tam View Post
    as a former "cable" maker , AEI cable division birtley , the copper conductor niether knows nor cares where it is pointing , the sheathing however is layed in one direction , does it make a difference , boubt it , unless the trapped air gets worked up and can't escape
    ah but

I'm tommy.

ah but
    it is fun though
    getting older and now getting wiser

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast