+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headphone amps

I'm inthescottishmafia.

I'll add a vote for the WD 83.I have one and it's excellent.Also,impedance can be tailored to match any cans depending on how it's wired up.If you don't fancy building it yourself,have them build it for you.Will cost a little more though.

I'm Nick.

I'll be looking forward to this. I've been thinking about Stan's DAC as backend to my PowerMac and Tascam CF recorder. If it really does have that affect on headphone listening I will be a very happy man. My current headphones are £25 Sennheisers. I hope to upgrade sometime this year. As my dad says work backwards from the speakers - or headphones, in this case
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I'll keep you well informed Nick. I also have some cheapie Sennheisers although they are vastly more expensive than £25, 20% more expensive in fact! Whilst they are acceptable for plugging into my iPhone for when I go running and watch some episodes of Family Guy in bed, hi-fi they're not. The HD600s will be my first pair of proper headphones so I'll be trying lots of bits and pieces out with them.

Apparently the Creek OBH-21SE is an exceptionally worthy headphone amplifier, in fact Noteworthy Audio describe it as "the best transistor/IC headphone amplifier we’ve come across", that immediately puts it forward for audition. There's a seemingly large choice these days so I'll try out as many as I can, that's not before I give Stan's approaching DAC a whirl though.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm Nick.

LOL - In fact I think yours may only have the edge by 60p, if Amazon is to be believed

Mine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-H...1624112&sr=8-1

Yours: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-P...1624170&sr=1-1

To be honest, I like mine for general listening. The closed-ear design is good for listening at home. They are comfortable, and while they are designed for DJ use, and the bass is emphasised, it's not exaggerated. Sound is clear and the top end has space around it. There isn't any slam though and the soundstage isn't so convincing as I would like. I want involvement and visceral excitement. Is that possible with headphones?

I'm hoping.

Somehow the Amazon price changed in the last 10 minutes. Mine are now £3 more expensive than yours. How'd that happen? Do they price depending on the number of hits a page gets
    Last edited by Beechwoods; 10-01-2009 at 22:05. Reason: Amazon pricing :doh:
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm BigBobJoylove.

No idea, maybe it's due to the announcement of a fall in the inflation rate. I can't believe mine are now £17.99! I paid £29.75 three years ago!

I think slam and soundstage are the preserve of the 'proper' headphones rather than 'aimed at iPod' headphones (which ours clearly are). There's nothing wrong with my little phones, they paint a perfectly decent picture and have crisp treble and decent enough bass to boogie to the beat, but there's nothing tangible there, the sound cannot be reached out and touched so to speak.

As we seem to be in a similar situation Nick I think high end headphones are the way to go.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    As we seem to be in a similar situation Nick I think high end headphones are the way to go.
    Got to agree with you on that one. I now have a decent line up that can keep me happy for the next couple of years.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Missed this thread
    I mainly use cans for late night listening, got a pair of Sen HD250, 600, AT-900 and AKG K701

Amp is latest GSP Solo + PSU1, I've built a few diy based amps, given most away including the Kumisa III

You can get very good sound quality out of a decent headphone based rig

I'm Tony.

I have both HD600s and Beyer Dynamic DT990s and personally I prefer the DT990s when used on a decent headphone amp like the HD83. The HD600s are better for me when used on my Sony Atrac player that I take away on business trip to listen to in hotels. I found the HD600 together with the HD83 and a higher quality source to be a bit overpowering, the DT990s are more mellow and relaxing.

It's all about personal taste and system matching I guess. Both 'phones are very good. Getting the sound you like though is almost as tricky as with speakers.

Cheers,
    Tony

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Moore View Post
    Getting the sound you like though is almost as tricky as with speakers.

Cheers,
    Tony
    Too right Tony! a good headphone rig is also a good tool for testing any mods or builds you've done to the source, they are good at highlighting flaws IMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12