+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headphone amps

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Default Headphone amps

Okey dokey, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600s with Cardas Rewire (thanks to John and Steve Toy for their recommendation) on their way to me early next week. For the time being I'll use my DAC headphone output, which is fully separately staged and really rather good indeed, but my thoughts are that as my primary listening will be headphones rather than speakers I should invest in a decent headphone amplifier.

Thought, experiences, opinions and suggestions please!

Thanks.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm ILOB.

The HD600 needs to be well driven I persume you want it to link into the MAC a couple of thoughts come to mind
    If you can use RCA The world design headphone amp will produce great results
    http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/info_HD83.html
    Might be worth looking at the Headroom amps have not heard them myself but have a good rep and wide range
    http://www.headphone.com/products/he...the-home-line/
    The amp I used was the ps audio amp speak to Howard as he sells these
    A really holographic sound just lacks that bit of bass weight so for the music i really enjoy this combo was not for me but for some will be audio heaven
    http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...fier?cat=audio

Here is another one to try but have not heard

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m902/m902.htm

Rob please hear them first before purchase
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    The HD600 needs to be well driven I persume you want it to link into the MAC a couple of thoughts come to mind
    If you can use RCA The world design headphone amp will produce great results
    http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/info_HD83.html
    Might be worth looking at the Headroom amps have not heard them myself but have a good rep and wide range
    http://www.headphone.com/products/he...the-home-line/
    The amp I used was the ps audio amp speak to Howard as he sells these
    A really holographic sound just lacks that bit of bass weight so for the music i really enjoy this combo was not for me but for some will be audio heaven
    http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...fier?cat=audio

Here is another one to try but have not heard

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/m902/m902.htm

Rob please hear them first before purchase
    Cheers John! Don't worry, I always audition everything before purchase these days.

Output will be from the DAC whatever happens, probably the balanced outputs which have a lot more muscle than the headphone socket (and that's muscular enough!), however I have the necessary adaptors to convert the balanced outputs to phono so I have flexibility on my side.

I've heard about the Headroom amps, they are well reviewed and revered and are already on my 'to try but can't really stretch to right now' list. I haven't heard of the PS Audio amps though so I'll look into those. I'd not even considered a kit amplifier, I guess it's a good way to get a quality amp with less outlay - or rather more value as the construction isn't costed in. No doubt AnthonyTD will be able to help, but I have a budget to stick to!

By the way John, what are you using for your headphones?

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm ILOB.

Well used to use the PS Audio with HD600 Cardas wired but these days all I have are HD595 going through the Sony Walkman and actually really like it I tend to listen mostly through the speakers as like to feel the music in my body and just not worth it to have that degree of performance if I am not using it.
    I am sure if you speak to Howard he let you listen to the PS Audio
    Think the issue with the Headroom amps is finding someone who has one so you can have a listen first; thats why I did not go down that route
    Last edited by John; 09-01-2009 at 20:27.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I'll definitely look into the PS Audio amps, they seem rather nice from the link you posted. Cheers.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm ILOB.

Also this might be worth a try look great and has the Silk Transforers which are really good and should make this combo sound great
    http://www.sacthailand.com/
    But if you like DIY then the World Audio Design is a good bet also

I'm Nick.

I will be very interested in your opinion on the HD600's. I'm increasingly coming the conclusion that I need some decent quality headphones since I never get the chance to play music over speakers at anything more than background levels
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm BigBobJoylove.

That's my whole reasoning too Nick. It's a shame as I love listening through my speakers, they present such a wonderfully detailed sound with real punch and accuracy, but I have to be considerate to my neighbours. Still, it's only for a little while in the context of a lifetime and I have been very lucky up until now.

I've heard the HD600s on audition and they're very very good indeed. The ones I heard had the Cardas cables which is why I ordered some of those, I'm not sure how the stock cables sound so I'll have to post my findings when I know. Obviously an audition is very different to settling in with any component so I'll let mine run in for a hundred hours or so (easy with headphones, just leave them playing night and day) before I do any critical listening. What I do know of course is that they'll smack the arse of my £30 PX100s, but they were never intended for hi-fi usage anyway.

Atacama SE24 stands

It depends on how loud you guys listen to your music to via headphones. My new DAC was specially redesigned so that I could fit in it the headphone amp PCB of a headamp I hope to release later this year. So if you can hang on for a while, you'll get a chance to try out mine in the DAC, and compare it to anything else out there. But be prepared for speaker like sound stage and binaural type of listening. None of that boomy sound that seems to originate right in the middle of your head as in a traditional headphone output. I can even get a pair of K701 to produce bass on them, and that takes some doing if you know the K701. The frame of my HD650 can be felt moving about on my ears at 3/4 volume level. Is that too loud perhaps?

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Hmm, possibly! I won't make a purchase until I've heard you new DAC anyway, and the output on my DAC is exceptional as it is. Always nice to get a feel for the land though.

Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast