+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Madonna - Hard Candy, hard on cheap headphones

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Default Madonna - Hard Candy, hard on cheap headphones

Stunning album, sounds bloody amazing through speakers. Unfortunately my cheapo Sennheiser PX100s which I bought for iPod duty are a touch overwhelmed by the staggering dynamics on the album when connected to my DAC.

Roll on next Tuesday, my HD600s with Cardas Rewire get delivered then.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It's in pink vinyl on my avatar, Rob

I have it on CD and vinyl (the double album in candy pink and blue vinyl came with a free CD of the same album and a 12" single) and trust me, as good as the CD is the vinyl trounces it in terms of audio quality, particularly the 12" single. On the 1210, the bass reaches down to subterranean levels through the spendors and is much more vibrant and punchy than the CD version, although very good in its own right - if of course you like the rather cheesy music

You'll really need to get a T/T sometime, my man!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Oh dear me!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

American life 2lp has always been a ref record for me.
    excellent production and 60% good tracks
    i'd like to get music on vinyl as the cd is also superb ref material
    ---------------------------------------------------
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    Oh dear me!
    Get with it, daddy-o!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ...the bass reaches down to subterranean levels...
    I'm guessing the track Beat goes on (track 8) will have made your woofers wobble the most, there's some seriously meaty lows in that one!

You'll really need to get a T/T sometime, my man!
    It'll be a priority purchase once I've moved house, but for now I'm solely digital and my primary listening will be through my new headphones. There's loads of kit I have to buy before I get near a turntable but I will get one eventually. I still have fond memories of my Thorens/SME/Shure set-up from eons back.

Get with it, daddy-o!
    Yeah, come on Mike! Move your booty with the times baby!

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm guessing the track Beat goes on (track 8) will have made your woofers wobble the most, there's some seriously meaty lows in that one!
    Dat's da one, baby! At suitable volume it rearranges your intestines and pins you against the wall, sweating, into submission...

My favourite track though is "Devil Wouldn't Recognise You" (track 11). I love the way the bass line ebbs and flows, rhythmically, and the sweet, melodic, vocals which accompany it - lush!

However, the 11-minute long 'Peter Saves New York' remix version on the 12" single of '4 Minutes' is, oh dear, how shall it put it, 'visceral'

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Dat's da one, baby! At suitable volume it rearranges your intestines and pins you against the wall, sweating, into submission...
    I knew it! Great track, real punch*.

My favourite track though is "Devil Wouldn't Recognise You" (track 11). I love the way the bass line ebbs and flows, rhythmically, and the sweet, melodic, vocals which accompany it - lush!

However, the 11-minute long 'Peter Saves New York' remix version on the 12" single of '4 Minutes' is, oh dear, how shall it put it, 'visceral'
    I'm looking forward to giving it a thorough listen very soon.

Footnote:

*Understatement of the year.

Atacama SE24 stands

As far as I know, that particular mix is only on the 12" vinyl single, matey

Marco.
    Main System

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Sorry, I meant the album rather than that specific track. It's good to know that the vinyl releases still get 'extra' tracks on them, makes it special.

Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast