+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanted - Naim Nait 5i or Exposure 2010s or similar

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Just get yourself a Rega Brio R. It's probably better than both of these, and certainly the Nait 5i, as I've done this comparison already
    "Probably", but then I have a £300 s/h Exposure 2010S surrounded by much more expensive kit. It's a special amp! The Rega would need to be a lot better than the Nait 5i as the 2010S trounces that amp, which I've demoed.

I'm Neil.

There was a time when Exposure stuff had much design input from Kevin (Talk Electronics) but don't know if it still holds true.
    Tony Brady designed the 2010S (but kept it based on the Exposure X), he also designed the 'cult' Onix OA21 amp.

Here's a review snippet from an OA21 listing:

"Onix OA21 stereo integrated amp in near mint condition and working absolutely perfectly. Designed by Tony Brady and UK built.
    Works without fault and sounds fantastic. Often compared to Naim and John Farlowe era Exposure amps."
    Last edited by Yomanze; 25-05-2012 at 22:06. Reason: toned it down...

I'm Osvaldo.

Hi Martin,

Been reading through...
    I'd stick with the Naim / Exposure. It's the recommended setup. Also include the Nait XS on your list. Your dealer wouldn't say its recommended just like that.

Please DEMO first. You have the possibility! Do try the Rega if it's available when you demo things...

Don't rush! Remember.. as you said, your feet is tapping with your Marantz.. take your time and test first. And let me know your thoughts after

I'm Martin.

Thanks for all your help.

Looks like a mamouth demo session is in order - made easier because PJ hifi stock the Neats, naim, exposure and rega products.

I'm not going to rush as my marantz indeed sounds great with the Neats - listening to Air's Moon Safari at the moment and it all sounds incredible.

Then again if a nice amp comes up at a good price...
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Please don't murder your dealer with a marathon dem and then buy something used instead, 'cos that behaviour is not at all appreciated and if you're found out you may get blacklisted!

Hifi dave and I used to have several of these characters, who trawled round the home counties dealers getting free dems and then popping in to Dynamics in Welwyn to buy the stuff second hand. We had a list and used to compare notes and at the time in the 90's, these characters didn't have the faintest idea that we knew what they were up to - and probably didn't care either since all these dems were free!...

Seriously, if PJ can give you the time, just use the brio R as a starting point. I'm sure ot will be acceptable, even if it doesn't light your fire as the others will. Naims and Neats do seem to go well together and hopefully play to each other's strengths and that's why they're recommended. The Naim may just hold value better than the Exposure though, but this depends on how long you're planning on keeping them.

Your ears, your music, your personal vibe and we're just outsiders batting a few ideas around. Have fun and hope you end up with something you really like and can get more from the music out of it
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Martin.

Please don't murder your dealer with a marathon dem and then buy something used instead, 'cos that behaviour is not at all appreciated and if you're found out you may get blacklisted!

Hifi dave and I used to have several of these characters, who trawled round the home counties dealers getting free dems and then popping in to Dynamics in Welwyn to buy the stuff second hand. We had a list and used to compare notes and at the time in the 90's, these characters didn't have the faintest idea that we knew what they were up to - and probably didn't care either since all these dems were free!...

Seriously, if PJ can give you the time, just use the brio R as a starting point. I'm sure ot will be acceptable, even if it doesn't light your fire as the others will. Naims and Neats do seem to go well together and hopefully play to each other's strengths and that's why they're recommended. The Naim may just hold value better than the Exposure though, but this depends on how long you're planning on keeping them.

Your ears, your music, your personal vibe and we're just outsiders batting a few ideas around. Have fun and hope you end up with something you really like and can get more from the music out of it
    Thanks Dave and no, I couldn't do that to a dealer (I have a retail shop myself). By the end of the summer, Ill have the £8-900 needed to buy a new one.

If a nait 5i or exposure 2010s came up in the meantime at a good price, I may well take a punt. And if it wasn't good, I could easily eBay it. Seems that not many people sell theirs, as they don't come up too often on eBay.

Cheers,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
    If a nait 5i or exposure 2010s came up in the meantime at a good price, I may well take a punt. And if it wasn't good, I could easily eBay it. Seems that not many people sell theirs, as they don't come up too often on eBay.
    Well, I just bought a 4 month old Exposure 2010S2 from Ebay for the princely sum of £390 (£850 new) + P+P. It's coming from Greece, so hope it arrives in one piece!

Cheers,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Osvaldo.

Sweet!
    Also saw an ex-demo matching cd-player from exposure for sale on ebay uk for about the same as your new amp - half price.

As long as you don't wait as much that its taking to get my motives here hehehe... 11 days promised, 12 days and counting passed and so far the best part of the story been checking my tracking to find out the status is market as an exception because of customs bla bla..

Lol

Hope you get it soon and intact

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by osvaldo View Post
    Sweet!
    Also saw an ex-demo matching cd-player from exposure for sale on ebay uk for about the same as your new amp - half price.

As long as you don't wait as much that its taking to get my motives here hehehe... 11 days promised, 12 days and counting passed and so far the best part of the story been checking my tracking to find out the status is market as an exception because of customs bla bla..

Lol

Hope you get it soon and intact
    Hi Osvaldo,

Yes, lots of bargains to be had if you have the cash to spend...

I guess if your Motives are in customs, that means that they are safe and well Let us know when they arrive.

I took some pictures of my current setup this morning - took 3 photos and stitched them together in photoshop.

My Motives are out from the corner as much as my wife will tollerate without complaining

Shows my hifi "corner" and the open plan house. The best part is having no side walls to cause reflections, but the corner does have a bass boom problem that I'm trying to cure.

Cheers,
    Martin

My system photos

I'm Osvaldo.

Hi Martin,

You Exposure have arrived?
    My Motives are out of customs and now in South Africa in transit I'm hoping that by tuesday they'll be at they're new home..
    I totally enjoyed your open plan very nice. Lovely quick photoshop job
    My home is quite small and my GF is always at the TV so I just put my sound system in my room where I also have my mini-office

I'll post pics once I receive the Motives...

Osvaldo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast