+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: step up transformers and active head amps

I'm Guy.

Hi Jon,

The nearest thing I can think of to what you want would be one of these.

http://www.britishaudio.co.uk/blackhead.html

Otherwise look on ebay for a second hand pair of Ortofon T-5's, Sony's equivalent or a Denon step up.

Or this if you act fast

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ortofon-T-10-s...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Grinder View Post
    John

A precisely matched high grade step up transformer is far superior to any MC stage. Fact!

I can see your trying to sell your products, but please put that aside..
    From my experience of using and designing both John is quite correct. Transformers *add* to the circuit more than acceptably in my terms. I still feel people misunderstand transformers when used for voltage gain. In simple terms it is a trade off between current and voltage and an MC cartridge doesn't have much current to trade off. I am always surprised they sound as good as they do, but a well designed active gain stage in my terms wins every time.

I think this boils down to what you expect and want from the music, glass bottle afficionados tend to like what transformers do.

Thanks for the suggestions and the heads-up on the Ortofon, Guy - I have checked it out....and bid!

I'm Mike.

Default Phono Stage For A Koetsu

I may well have this problem thrust upon me if I go ahead with replacing my Lyra Helikon with a Koetsu.

The output is about the same, but I understand that Koetsus like loadings of between 85 and 100+ ohms, whereas my Lyra is very accommodating and works well into my Naim Prefix K (580 ohms) and probably most other stages.

Although Naim are bringing out a versatile new stage very soon, with 4 impedance x 4 capacitance permutations, I'd like to know of other options.

A 'Puresound' stage has been recommended (and I like the idea of a valve or two!), but I feel it's designed for mm only. The thought of bloody great transformers and what-have-you doesn't appeal, though.

The cart. will go on an SME5 into a Naim pre., and I'm not well-versed in electronics theory, if that's any help!

I'm Mike.

Default ORTOPHON T5 MM to MC in-line transformers

By the way, the above was recommended in one of the postings. I still have a pair in its original box lying around somewhere, if there's any interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I may well have this problem thrust upon me if I go ahead with replacing my Lyra Helikon with a Koetsu.

The output is about the same, but I understand that Koetsus like loadings of between 85 and 100+ ohms, whereas my Lyra is very accommodating and works well into my Naim Prefix K (580 ohms) and probably most other stages.

Although Naim are bringing out a versatile new stage very soon, with 4 impedance x 4 capacitance permutations, I'd like to know of other options.

A 'Puresound' stage has been recommended (and I like the idea of a valve or two!), but I feel it's designed for mm only. The thought of bloody great transformers and what-have-you doesn't appeal, though.

The cart. will go on an SME5 into a Naim pre., and I'm not well-versed in electronics theory, if that's any help!
    There is another fly in the ointment, it depends on how the active stages in the head amp have been designed. It is quite possible to design this to be load rejecting when designing at these low voltage levels. So some head amps need to be carefully adjusted for load and others don't. BUT the audiophile grapevine has been active on this one, so the sheep are doing a lot of baaa-ing If you want me to recommend a load rejecting one then PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    By the way, the above was recommended in one of the postings. I still have a pair in its original box lying around somewhere, if there's any interest.
    These are as good as anything transformer wise unless you are willing to spend a lot of money, and they don't ring

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    BUT the audiophile grapevine has been active on this one, so the sheep are doing a lot of baaa-ing If you want me to recommend a load rejecting one then PM me.
    You wouldn't happen to be referring to something that is shortly to be released by a certain Wiltshire-based outfit are you by any chance, Richard.....??

Quote Originally Posted by JonR View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be referring to something that is shortly to be released by a certain Wiltshire-based outfit are you by any chance, Richard.....??
    Nope don't normally listen to anything from the west country, can't understand the accent

Seriously, I think their old circuit from what I remember of it is pretty load rejecting. Perhaps they are just jumping on *another* band wagon like the cable one. When you have big staff and factory and a declining market it pays to look in all directions

Sometimes it is commercialy better just to give the customer what he wants even though you may think he is bonkers

I am in a very lucky position to do what ever I want and if people don't like it either conceptually or in reality, well too bad. Your friends were like this when JV was in charge, different beast now IMO.

Well, I think it's fair to say a lot of people miss JV, but the fact is he's dead now and meanwhile the company has to move on. I actually do like what their new offering does; the convenient load adjustment certainly adds to its appeal, IMO. The price tag, on the other hand, err....doesn't!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast