Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Hmm, well I've previously owned NVA 'sand' phono stages and they were totally lifeless and compressed both in sound and dimensionality compared to my WAD Phono II (tweaked) with Lundahl step-up Tx's which are coupled to my ancient and very low output little used Ortofon MC30. I was very happy to sell my NVA on as a package with my Linn LP12; also a product that is marketed beyond the aural truth. My TT set up was used for demonstration at the last three Bristol 'Sound and Vision' Shows in the WD room. Shed loads of best sound at the show comments and alot of gobsmacked punters when they inquired on the identity of the cartridge. Understandable considering it's vintage and at the release time, bland reviews. I've done the 'sand' phono stage thing on both MM and MC. The ears have tested it and it doesn't work. MC into trafo's may be less than ideal in theory, but to the ears it's the best, all IMHO.
Ditto Greg.

I use a WAD PII with Sowter step-ups and it's great.

Briefly ran the NVA Phono but it was very hissy and the lack of any shielding meant interruptions from passing mini cab radios and other assorted noises.