+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dalek Supreme D L's Main System.

I'm Nick.

lol Neil it looks like the Nak's your only bit of solid state kit The CR5e is a nice deck; from Nakamichi's years before the bean counters moved in and started cutting costs

I must admit that I've always wanted the 5e's bigger bother, the 7e... with it's playback azimuth control it was one of Nakamichi's top 3 decks.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Neil.

Default Hi Nick

Hi Nick

Yes the Nak CR5e is a very good tape deck. At the time I could not stretch to the CR7e, most of the reviews at the time said that CR7e was only a little bit better. Not having ever compared them I can't say if this is right or not. I suspect not, the extra set up potential of the CR7e should give it an advantage in recording and playback. Anyway I comforted myself with this right or wrong review, and was happy. I too would love a CR7e or a Dragon, but as it is manual the auto adjust of the CR7e makes it a much better machine. I know someone who has a CR7e but he wont sell it, even though he doesn't use it very much,oh well, someday maybe.

Yes most of my kit is valve, with the exception of the Moon and Marantz players. I have been a glowing glass enthusiast for most of my 20 odd years as an Audio enthusiast. The sound of valves seduced me early on, in fact my first amp was a Rotel 820a and my second an Audio Innovations series 300. the rest is history and all has valves in it somewhere.

Regards D S D l---- Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 09-01-2009 at 22:33.

I'm Nick.

If a tape has been properly recorded - or is factory duplicated - you shouldn't need the benefits of the azimuth control, but if you like to play back tapes recorded on other machines, that's when it really has it's benefits. I have hundreds of tapes recorded on old kit, and I borrow tapes when I can if they're special (radio etc, you know the kind of stuff I collect!) so the tunable azimuth control in that instance are the keys to kingdom

What I will say though is that the classic Nakamichi tape transport does away with a lot of the variables that cause poor playback of tapes from different recorders. So the decks like yours and mine that don't have playback azimuth control handle tape in a way that minimises the problems you get from tapes recorded on other machines. The pressure pad lifter in particular removes the variable of tolerances in cassette-shell manufacturing and gives the tape a far more reliable path to follow over the heads. The double capstans while not unique to the Nak by any stretch also help to give the best control of the tape across the heads. I swear that it's this that I hear when I play tapes on my ZX-7 and they sound so damn solid, crisp, and stable. Good tapes sound like CD, with or without Dolby NR. The heads may also have something to do with it, mind

It's been a while since we had a discussion about tape here on AOS. I'm getting all misty eyed
    Nick
    My system...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Good tapes sound like CD, with or without Dolby NR...
    Wash out thy mouth, you should know better, my boy... Good tapes sound nothing like CD - they are far superior (on good tape deck)!

Now, I don't want to see any more of this deviant behaviour. Is that understood?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Default I agree

Hi Nick

Yes I agree (not the tapes sounding like CD bit), the stability and focus of tapes played back on the Nak are amazing. I find that even recordings made on(normal Type 1 EQ120. TDK in the main AD) sound excellent. Chrome and Metal are better, but the results on TDK AD is very nice(better than Mini Disc etc) IMHO. While on Holiday in Scotland Dundee I managed to buy a stack of TDK SA 90 Tapes (NOS).

The shop a S/h Vinyl and CD shop had no more when I went back in late Aug last year Groucho's Nice shop, boxes and boxes of Vinyl and rack after rack of cd's. I love shops like this an endangered species.

A friend gave me a box of TDK metal and chrome recently, great guy

Regards D S D L---- Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 09-01-2009 at 23:28.

I'm Nick.

I still have some sealed Maxell XLII-S I bought when they were still available on the highstreet, but rarely record stuff now, just playback. Old limited edition tape, some of the high-end Metal ones, are collectors items now, claiming silly money sometimes

We've got a place called 'The Cassette Shop' in Bristol. It used to sell all the best tapes, now it's more video tapes, and radios. I'm not sure that he sells any compact cassette tapes these days.

Classic old-school though, like shops used to be!

Nick
    My system...

That's a cool shop, Beechy - classic 'old school' just like you say. I wish there were more like that still around!

A lot of the romance has gone out of hi-fi since its heyday (I would suggest) in the 70s and 80s…

Guys, I only use NOS cassette tapes with my CR7. My favourite is 1980s TDK SA 90. New stock tapes, even if you can find them now in shops, sound nothing like NOS (just like as it is with valves). I generally buy them from the States on Ebay. Here are some I've bought recently:

1987 TDK SA 90:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:B:BCA:US:1123

BASF Chromedioxid Maxima II:

Maxell XL-II 90:

If you click on "Seller's other items", you'll see that he has an on-line shop full of various sealed NOS cassette tapes.

I've stockpiled about 50 of different kinds now and use them mainly for making tapes up for the car from my system at home - the quality of the recordings I get with them are fabulous

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Default like shops used to be

Hi Nick

The Buggles got it wrong, video didn't kill the Radio Star, but Digital has killed the way shops used to be. In fact is killing them DEAD.

Sad Days, Zavvi have closed 27 shops, who's next ?

Regards D S D L---- Neil

I'm Neil.

Default Tapes

Hi Marco and Nick.

Yes the Maxell and Basf you list are good, I have some un used kicking around but I always went for TDK

I always felt they were better. I found the sound to be more even through out the frequencies.

Regards D S D L---- Neil

Ps I have a number of Photos I took at the 2006 and 2007 London hi-fi shows (Sept). They were to be part of Show reports for the website the shop I used to work for but they never saw the light of day. Would you guys like to see them ? (the good ones )

The Buggles got it wrong, video didn't kill the Radio Star, but Digital has killed the way shops used to be. In fact is killing them DEAD.

Sad Days, Zavvi have closed 27 shops, who's next ?
    Indeed. Since music became a disposable commodity (computer downloaded files) it's been downhill since then, not necessarily in a hi-fi sense, but as far as the music buying experience itself being special like how it used to be - especially the really cool shops that used to exist both of a hi-fi and music nature. That's what I've got most against computer audio: the sheer lack of tactility or 'human' experience.

It’s sad days indeed, as far as that aspect of a genuine audio/music enthusiast's life is concerned. I'm not sure that the all-out digi-boys 'get' this at all, or if they do they don't consider it important or relevant

Traditional second-hand record shops are all we've got left now for that 'nostalgia hit', and even they're getting very thin on the ground...

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast