+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding Parabens

I'm Santa.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    I worked for 27 years as an industrial chemist in the chemical industry and one thing that always worried me was the following:

If you take sodium or potassium nitrite and add it to hydrochloric acid the mixture will result in the evolution of a greenish gas called nitrosamine. Nitrosamine will cause cancer, period.

So, what do we preserve food with and what is present in everyone's stomach...? I'll leave you to figure out the rest.
    Mmm I knew the Chinese were up to something that's why I always go back for more...

MSG

I'm Clive.

For anyone who wants to avoid potentially cancer-causing Parabens I've found the Sanex Zero% range - shower gel, bath foam and deodorant. It's good to see a major brand doing Paraben-free.

Our local Waitrose and Sainsburys have these and some other deodorants labelled as Paraben-free as well as other nasty sounding chemicals.

Shampoo seems harder but the link below is one option:
    http://www.soorganic.com/organic-hai...c-shampoo.html

Tesco was a dead loss when looking for Paraben-free - why doesn't that surprise me!
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm John.

While I agree that it’s disturbing the crap that gets put into not only personal hygiene products but also the household cleaning stuff, I can’t help wondering why people buy the stuff in the first place.
    Deodorant.
    Those awfully nice Italian people demonstrated to us English a few centuries ago the wonderful properties of water, something we English, and according to the Italian women I have courted, the French also, had only seen fit for ducking potential witches in, and at a push, drinking.
    Why anyone would want to smear some horrible stinky chemicals under their arms in the first place is a bit odd. To attempt to stop the natural process of sweating seems odder still.
    What’s wrong with soap and water? If you want to smell like a tart there are plenty of essential oils.

It seems to me that when it comes to washing (clothes and bodies) household cleaning and cooking, if it doesn’t come in a package you can either squeeze, or spay, is laden with chemicals and doesn’t require any effort, we buy shed-loads of the shite.

It seems really simple to me, don’t buy the crap.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Martin.

I agree John. Never use deoderant an not used shampoo in years, waste of money. I do like a splash of cologne though. I suppose that's killing me slowly too...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Santa.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I agree John. Never use deoderant an not used shampoo in years, waste of money. I do like a splash of cologne though. I suppose that's killing me slowly too...
    Here, here to the smelly gits above me. I am also of the same mindset.

I think most of it is air killers than air fresheners

I'm Clive.

The Paraben-free stuff tends not to be scented. For many people who are active or can be active, washing a couple of times per day is not really practical. Even when you shower you may want to ensure your soap or or shower gel is Paraben-free. Most of it isn't, if it's scented then likely it is contaminated.

I've known a number of people who tried not using shampoo, most lasted no longer than a year but obviosuly there are some who stay the course. The point about this Paraben stuff is that we're getting very strong signals that it is cancer causing. Living through a cancer nightmare with your partner has a big effect on your outlook. I don't wish such a situation on others hence my going on about it to raise awareness.
    Last edited by Clive; 19-05-2012 at 16:26.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    I've known a number of people who tried not using shampoo, most lasted no longer than a year but obviosuly there are some who stay the course. The point about this Paraben stuff is that we're getting very strong signals that it is cancer causing. Living through a cancer nightmare with your partner has a big effect on your outlook. I don't wish such a situation on others hence my going of about it to raise awareness.
    I understand your point is serious, Clive and I totally agree we should at least be aware of these things. Incidentally re the shampoo thing it gives me contact dermatitis so I had no option - it took quite bit more than a year for my scalp to fully adjust...and you feel a bit like a manky sheep for the first 6 months. Worth it, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    - it took quite bit more than a year for my scalp to fully adjust...and you feel a bit like a manky sheep for the first 6 months. Worth it, though.
    I suppose that's how our Retriever feels!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I didn't read the 1 in 8 bit so I apologise. Only the 1 in 9 part.

Even Sainbury's own brand of hand wash we have home says Paraben free.

I remember in Maths at school our teacher saying 1 in 3 is the statistic but that was for all cancers. That was a fun lesson...

As they say 9 out of 10 statistics are made up on the spot.
    Who was it who said "You have lies, damn lies and statistics" ?
    The statisics say that for 99.9999% of us life can be terminal.
    But its not yet been established as 100%. Geoff.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Who was it who said "You have lies, damn lies and statistics" ?
    The statisics say that for 99.9999% of us life can be terminal.
    But its not yet been established as 100%. Geoff.
    For 100% of us life will be terminal. Of that I have absolutely no doubt.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast