View Poll Results: Album Club 15.05.2012. Radical Dance Faction, Borderline Cases, 1990

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

2 15.38%
  • 2/10

3 23.08%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 7.69%
  • 5/10

2 15.38%
  • 6/10

0 0%
  • 7/10

2 15.38%
  • 8/10

1 7.69%
  • 9/10

1 7.69%
  • 10/10

1 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 15.05.2012 - Radical Dance Faction (RDF) 'Borderline Cases', 1990

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Martinh View Post
    It's playing on the office system again - everyone here likes it too.

I think you need to live near Reading and be under 46 1/4 years old to appreciate it

Martin
    You must work in a cool office! Best I get is to listen to it on headphones. Kind of subversive given where I work
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Simon.

I used to own Wasteland.

It has the dubious honour of being the worst album I have ever spent money on.

After giving it to a mate, he then gave it me back as he thought the same as me. I decided to take a hammer to the cd and case to make sure I never had to listen to it again. Ever.

Just noticed on amazon they have one used for £46 - still glad I took a hammer to it as I'm sure if I'd kept it I may have done something stupid like tried to listen to it again.

No surprise I haven't tried listening to this I don't care if it's better than Wasteland it brings back too much anger and hate.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

After reading Martin's post I was intrigued, and as I'll give anything a listen I did so.

To my surprise I actually enjoyed listening to the four YouTube clips on offer. This is not my normal cup of tea, but the intelligence of the lyrics coupled with a relentless, driving bass beat worked for me.

At times I was reminded of Ian Dury and the Blockheads, at other times Talking Heads.

Very much of the '80s and needs to be played loud!

However I'm not sure I could listen to a lot of this: my heart and the neighbours wouldn't be able to take much.

Even so I'm going to give it a middling 5/10.

Well done Nick.
    Barry

I'm Nick.

Thank you Barry - I'm really pleased - it really makes it worthwhile sharing here!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Paul.

Not realy my thing but it does have it's merits. Not sure about the vocals but I did like the dub bass backing. Actualy apart from a dance track style keyboard on track 1 this could have been from 1979. I assume the words having some political or locality related connection with the listener may have a lot to do with perception. Worth 4/10 as it's not something I would listen to more than twice.

I'm Barry.

Liked this straight from the first track, great beat throughout and the vocals are just as catchy/hypnotic whatever. Wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but I'll add it to my Grooveshark favorites. 7/10

I'm Nick.

Good stuff Barry

I must be a bit bonkers because as well as the two proper copies of this I have on vinyl I've also got a white label as well And CD
    Nick
    My system...

I'm John.

Hmm, thinking mans Ska perhaps.

Not a problem listening to it but I’m not sure I would go out and buy a copy.
    I’ve checked out a few other tracks I found and overall I have the same reservations I have with a great many other Ska style bands; they produce a few tracks I really like and the rest just fades into a beat that doesn’t make me want to concentrate on the lyrics and with this band the lyrics are rather important.

5/10
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm Neil.

Hawkwind, meets, PIL, meets Suicide.... sort of.

I don't like the vocalists voice, sorry Nick. I don't think it will grow on me either.

That's a no from me.

but its given me an idea for my upcoming stint.
    Regards Neil

I'm Nick.

I'll be interested to see what inspiration I've sparked Neil
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast