View Poll Results: Album Club 15.05.2012. Radical Dance Faction, Borderline Cases, 1990

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

2 15.38%
  • 2/10

3 23.08%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

1 7.69%
  • 5/10

2 15.38%
  • 6/10

0 0%
  • 7/10

2 15.38%
  • 8/10

1 7.69%
  • 9/10

1 7.69%
  • 10/10

1 7.69%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 15.05.2012 - Radical Dance Faction (RDF) 'Borderline Cases', 1990

I'm Nick.

Default Album Club: 15.05.2012 - Radical Dance Faction (RDF) 'Borderline Cases', 1990

I'm sure this one will be even more popular than my last proper Album Club submission

For me this is an absolute Classic, an album I've loved from the moment I heard it, way back in about 1991. It's the debut album by Radical Dance Faction, a band from Hungerford / Reading, led by a lyrical genius called Chris Bowsher. The band had been around for a number of years before this album came out, and had self-released a couple of excellent tapes and built up a strong live following through festival, squat parties and proper gigs.

RDF as they were known were part of a scene based around Reading, which included a number of bands with whom they shared members, such that the lines defining which band was which was easily lost. People say they came out of a band called Military Surplus, and Military Surplus got there first with a proper release, on 7" in 1987 on Bluurg records, but the Military Surplus lineup comprised most of the core RDF membership, and continued to play gigs through the 90's alongside the main band, so to be honest it could be argued that Military Surplus were just an alter-ego. In 2004 the bands reformed for occasional shows under the combined name Military Surplus RDF which made a lot more sense.

Anyway, RDF was Chris Bowsher's band, and it's his voice and his lyrics that drive this record. The beautiful vocals of Linda Goodman are the perfect foil, and the musical foundation displays a real musicality and maturity not often seen in similar 'punk / ska / dub' bands.

The standout tracks here are Hot On The Wire, Chinese Poem, Borderline and Surplus People.

Hot On The Wire was written by Chris about his experience of that day in 1987 when Michael Ryan killed 16 and wounded 15 in what was to become described as 'the Hungerford massacre'. It's an intense track, one that sent me off to read more about the events. Chris was quoted briefly in the book 'One Bloody Afternoon' by Jeremy Josephs.

Chinese Poem is about Tiananmen Square.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Dance_Faction
    http://www.myspace.com/radicaldancefaction
    http://www.myspace.com/militarysurplusrdf

The full album is available for streaming at Grooveshark:
    http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Bord...+Cases/7596879

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

MartinT Guest

Sorry Nick, this is so far away from my taste in music that I feel unable to comment any further

I think we've discussed before, but it's always interesting to review, the fact that some of us listen to words & lyrics and consider them essential, while others prefer to listen to the sound of the music. I'm definitely in the latter category.

I'm ChrisB.

I don't know this or anything about it.
    And now I'm rather intrigued and just a teeny bit frightened after Martin has said what he's said!

I'm Martin.

Hi Nick,

This is brilliant stuff - I'm on my second listen and it's not even 10:00

Reminds me of the late 80s, when I was a teenager.

Only problem is that the guys voice makes me think "Eric Idle does The Specials".

Nice one,

Martin
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm Nick.

Martin,

I'm really glad you're enjoying it. It is well worth picking up on vinyl or CD. Discogs is a good place to look. There are two versions on vinyl both identical content but one with an earlier white cover and one with the black cover in the image above.

As you might imagine they were a great live band. I saw them around 1993 and they played a blinding set for over 2 hours. It was in a little pub in Peckham! I saw the reformed lineup in 2004 and that was probably even better, with an extended lineup including Steve Swann from Military Surplus who was also the leading light in the Revolutionary Dub Warriors. Their stuff on On-U Sound is well worth getting for an even more straightforward psych-dub sound.

RDF's second LP 'Wasteland' may be of interest too.
    Nick
    My system...

I'm ILOB.

Sorry not really my thing but glad you pushing the boat out on album club
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

It's definitely looking like its going down well
    Nick
    My system...

MartinT Guest

LOL - glad you're taking it well, Nick

I'm Martin.

It's playing on the office system again - everyone here likes it too.

I think you need to live near Reading and be under 46 1/4 years old to appreciate it

Martin
    Martin

Source: Sonos CONNECT DAC: Rega DAC Amp: Rega Brio-R Speakers: Neat Motive 2.

My system photos

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    LOL - glad you're taking it well, Nick
    I'm used to it!
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast