Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Boot Sales

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    Thread drift is epic
    It's what AoS is famous/notorious for!
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Sods law at a car boot sale. (Seller looks unkempt and the items look to be fished out of a skip) Bargains?

Me..... How much is that old unit there...is it something to do with a music centre....looks a bit old (playing it down)

Them...Ah thats the Quad 33 (pick an example) sir. A classic design......first built in.....this was specially custom ordered by the previous owner who I knew personally....... we have treasured this in the family for years...daughter needs an operation....blah blah

me thinking....... (oh shit)....I will pop back in a bit as Ive just got to see my other half
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 30-04-2019 at 06:49.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Sods law at a car boot sale. (Seller looks unkempt and the items look to be fished out of a skip) Bargains?

Me..... How much is that old unit there...is it something to do with a music centre....looks a bit old (playing it down)

Them...Ah thats the Quad 33 (pick an example) sir. A classic design......first built in.....this was specially custom ordered by the previous owner who I knew personally....... we have treasured this in the family for years...daughter needs an operation....blah blah

me thinking....... (oh shit)....I will pop back in a bit as Ive just got to see my other half
    You would be lucky to see Quad gear in a boot sale. The only decent items I have seen have been a Tandberg portable reel-to-reel machine, some B&O gear, and a classic Connoisseur record player (no, not the BD1 or BD2). Sadly all of them were in a pretty terible state cosmetically, so their performance would be in doubt.

You do see several 'mini' systems for sale, but nothing special.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Yes I exagerate for comic effect but it has happened where Ive wanted the casing off a cassette deck or something and the seller suddenly knows everything about their "cherished" item. Not that cherished from what I can see. Sods law is mostly in play

I have seen one old Quad power amp on a tarpaulin in a field (it looked previously dumped)...rotels and stuff but it generally looks too damaged to inspire a purchase.

Ive no real faith in car boot sales which is why I rarely go to one

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    I do that! Always "How much is the record player" or "the stereo"!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Anto.

I probably dont need any more shyte than I already have , so I doubt that unless I take more than I return with ,car boots a no no
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Martin.

I could do a pretty impressive car boot sale with the mountain of tat I've accumulated in the past 20 years. Even if I was almost giving it away the sheer amount of it would generate enough cash for a foreign holiday.

Need to get a bird who has a car.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    I do that! Always "How much is the record player" or "the stereo"!
    Yes and than Ive got some follow up lines to play it down even further...daughter wants to plug it in to her cheap karaoke player or something to make out I havent got a clue what the item is. Depending on how I read the situation, I could be spouting any old rubbish about Dobly on my amstrad system.

I will be frowning at the item. If I play the game very well they will be begging me to take it off their hands. If the seller ups the game I could still claim ignorance but raise my offer based on the sellers "advice"

If the seller hasnt a clue...Bingo!.....the cobwebs on my wallet will get shifted. I wont always do that and sometimes offer a very fair price. Anyway we all know that getting a bargain like that is a rare event
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 30-04-2019 at 17:40.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I could do a pretty impressive car boot sale with the mountain of tat I've accumulated in the past 20 years. Even if I was almost giving it away the sheer amount of it would generate enough cash for a foreign holiday.

Need to get a bird who has a car.
    Might be cheaper to just get a car and forget about the bird.

At a car boot I went to a few years ago, there was a Rotel RP1000 direct drive turntable and a pair of Celestion Ditton 15XRs, both very tidy and in good working condition. They went for about £25 each.

How do I know this? Because I was the idiot selling them! Talk about regret, I'd pay three times that to get them back
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    ...a Rotel RP1000 direct drive turntable...
    /Nerd mode on/

The RP-1000 was belt drive

/Nerd mode off/

I’ll see if there are any bargains about his weekend as I’m doing the annual clear-out car boot sale with my sister.

There won’t be much audio on my stall as the stuff I have for sale is a bit above car boot sale standard, but I’ll have a rummage in the loft and see if there’s anything up there I’ve forgotten about!

Don’t laugh - it’s happened before...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast