+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Boot Sales

I'm Martin.

I bought a lovely Marantz integrated amp for £15 once - that's the only hi-fi I've ever got from a boot sale. Bronze coloured with VU meters. Had an intermittant fault on one channel but I got it fixed for £20. Lent it to a mate as a stopgap when his Audiolab 800A packed in - that was in 1993, he still has it...

TBH I didn't think much booting went on any more what with eBay and so on. People go on about places like Cash Convertors selling stolen goods - well they don't have nothing on a boot sale.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post

At least you had the bus fare home.
    nah - we went home in the car and they came along later with the cash and collected it. It was a posh area, Nantwich IIRC. Posh boot sales were the best.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Keith.

I've never ever been to one
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    I've never ever been to one
    I was going to say you don't know what you're missing, but going on what others are saying, these days it won't be a lot
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm stu.

I do a couple a year and always sell a fair bit to other car booters before the gates open.
    Some of them resell the same day at a mark up.

Have had a few bits of hifi over the years but it is less and less now.
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Dan.

Default .

Hi

Love an old car boot i never miss them.

Sometimes the odd jem might come up but nothing lately

All dealers etc are in there before anyone gets a look in.
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    nah - we went home in the car and they came along later with the cash and collected it. It was a posh area, Nantwich IIRC. Posh boot sales were the best.
    I have subsequently discovered that a friend of mine is preparing for a car boot here in Chelsea. There are sixty spots and a waiting list to get ON the waiting list!
    I discovered this as I questioned why there were a mountain of boxes marked Gucci, Armani, Dunhill etc. all down the hall She just said "oh for my car boot sale"
    Now that's a car boot I would like to go to!!! (un)Fortunately not in London over the weekends.

I'm Paul.

i might start going again to search for vinyl, it strikes me there may be people who want to get something for their LP's but can't be bothered to list them on ebay individually.

I personally don't like the whole 'vulture economy' thing, it strikes me as a little unfair. I thought there were strict rules and start times at all the booties round my way, but i guess people must park up elsewhere and wander on site in anticipation of stall holders emptying their gear. Don't you have pay more to be there for the first hour of trading? How can people be there even before its officially started?

For the first time ever the other month I wandered into a proper auction house near me. The place was choker with the lowest of human skank. didn't live up to expectations at all - i had visions of antiquated, middle england, fueled by watching 'flog it', antiques road show, and all the other bollocks on TV. how wrong was i.
    Paul.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    All dealers etc are in there before anyone gets a look in.
    True, but my experience suggests that, in hi-fi terms, if it looks a bit old and hasn't got "Technics" or "Bang & Olufsen" written on it, they ignore it. Even the latter often gets left alone because if it's not working "there's no-one who can fix it any more"!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    True, but my experience suggests that, in hi-fi terms, if it looks a bit old and hasn't got "Technics" or "Bang & Olufsen" written on it, they ignore it. Even the latter often gets left alone because if it's not working "there's no-one who can fix it any more"!

So true.
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast