+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got me a REL

I'm colin.

Nice buy Mike. Rel make great subs though ive no idea why they recommend corner room placement. In my experience that doesnt work.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Rel make great subs though ive no idea why they recommend corner room placement. In my experience that doesnt work.
    It can, but the speaker & enclosure combined need to have a very low Q. The idea is that as the frequency goes lower & the speaker response drops off the reinforcement from the corner boosts things to a flat response.

It can work, but you really need to have the sub producing frequencies that are lower than the lowest room mode Not an easy thing to achieve...

In my 4 x 4M room that would be below 40Hz.

You'd want the sub to roll off at about 4 - 6Db per octave below the lowest room mode as that should render a pretty flat output
    Last edited by Reid Malenfant; 12-05-2012 at 21:38. Reason: more thoughts
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm colin.

Cheers dude for that clarification.
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    £44 Mike - brilliant - part of CAC 2013?
    You never know, maybe if i do a 5.1 system

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm ChrisB.

Well done Mike - a fine deal if ever there was one.
    Personally, I'm still wandering around the house muttering "£5.50! £5.50! £5.50!" which was the price I paid for a pair of big old AR 44 BX standmounters the other week. They've become my new headphones, sitting either side of my desk, squirting sounds into my ears from about two and a half feet away.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    You never know, maybe if i do a 5.1 system
    I've got some Gale surrounds and a centre speaker you can have for a nominal £1 In original packaging too...
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Yup at last proper gut wrenching Bass, Ok the REL I've got isn't that big a Q50 to be precise, a single 12" cone, no reflex porting and a modest 50 watt RMS amp, but my lounge is small and I've got a pair of Mordaunt Short MS45Ti's as my main speakers, so for music at least not really needed.
    A 12" driver, non ported box, 50watt RMS amp and built with quality is a bargain at that price.

As it's got a few years on it it will be well run in and working well but I'd recommend rotating the driver to allow for some sag.

Cheers
    Andrew
    HT fan
    AVR Pioneer THX Ultra2+ 7.1 Class-D ICE Amps, Speakers M&K S-150 THX/LCR-55, Subs M&K MX-5000THX /MX-125THX /2xV75, TT Kenwood KD-1600, CD Players Kenwood 6+1Multi, Classic Technics Class-AA Optic-out, PVR Phillips, BluRay Players Sony, DVD/SACD Pioneer, TV Panasonic 50" 1080 Plasma, Media Player WD HD-Live.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

There are REL's and there are REL's. The Q50 isn't one of their best IIRC. Think boom bang a bang, rather than a deep tuneful augmentation of bass notes..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

The old Audio Pro 412 or whatever the number is can be found sometimes for around the same.

I've a Rel QBass that I found on thrown out - not tried powering it up yet (feel it needs opening up and sniffing before I do - to find burnt out things rather than for pleasure!). Is that the same as the Q50?

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    There are REL's and there are REL's. The Q50 isn't one of their best IIRC. Think boom bang a bang, rather than a deep tuneful augmentation of bass notes..
    Come on David, give Mike his moment of happiness!
    Bluesound Node 2i
    Audio Analogue Pucinni SE
    B&W DM607 s2
    Chord Shawline X speaker cable
    Klotz ic’s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12