View Poll Results: So what did you think???????

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 Total crap an offense to my ears and system

2 12.50%
  • 2/10 Dross of the lowest order

1 6.25%
  • 3/10 I've heard better X Factor rejects

3 18.75%
  • 4/10 And you call this music

1 6.25%
  • 5/10 Passable as background music

1 6.25%
  • 6/10 There's somthing about this I like

6 37.50%
  • 7/10 Maybe I'll be ordering this of Amazon

0 0%
  • 8/10 A top notch album and an artist i really like

1 6.25%
  • 9/10 I've gotta get more of this, she's awesome

0 0%
  • 10/10 Can music get any better than this

1 6.25%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ALBUM CLUB 08/05/2012 Candy Dulfer "Saxuality" 1990

I'm ChrisB.

Sorry Mike this is really not my cup of tea - it's the funk that the sax is set against that so turns me off. She's obviously a very good musician, but I'd rather not hear the jabs of synth, the growly fretless bass and the roto-tom laden drumkit.

I couldn't call this jazz - it makes me think of the sort of stuff that Chris Frankland used to use to peddle his Linn / Naim 'the tune is everything' loblocks in Hi-Fi Review in the late 80's.

I'm being generous in giving it a 3/10 and I honestly couldn't listen to it more than once - I even managed Britney more times than that.

But it's great that you like it - don't let me or anyone else stop you!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'm afraid I couldn't get on with this at all In fact I found it a real struggle to get to the end. I may have given it more room in the 90's when I played Kenny G at dinner parties, but I have not played him for donkeys years and don't have the stomach for him anymore - this sounds the same to me. Too pop for my tastes and I love Jazz too, but we are talking Tord Gustavsen Trio style Jazz (thanks to Werner).

This to me is 'lift' music - sorry Mike, but I am grateful for the knowledge, as I do enjoy learning as much as I can about music, warts an' all, but its just not my thing.

I'll go with Chris and also give it 3/10, but that's not to say I have heard any X-Factor rejects to judge it by
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ChrisB.

Just a thought - those who do like this might also like David Sanborn.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

How can you mention Mingus's 'Ah Um' in the same sentence as this travesty!

This is the sort of thing that gives Jazz a bad name. Probably comes across better if seen live, but quite frankly it was 10 minutes 4 seconds worth that could have been better spent.

1/10 and that's being generous!

Sorry
    Barry

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    How can you mention Mingus's 'Ah Um' in the same sentence as this travesty!

This is the sort of thing that gives Jazz a bad name. Probably comes across better if seen live, but quite frankly it was 10 minutes 4 seconds worth that could have been better spent.

1/10 and that's being generous!

Sorry
    Quite simply Barry she is a top saxophonist, if you don't like her music that's down to you, and as i said if like me in the late 80's early 90's jazz wasn't your bag, it opened the door to a genre, plus i do like the kickin bass on tracks like "heavenly city"

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Barry.

This is my worst kind of music I'm afraid, to a critic of the genre it might be a 10 but to me 1/10.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Quite simply Barry she is a top saxophonist, if you don't like her music that's down to you, and as i said if like me in the late 80's early 90's jazz wasn't your bag, it opened the door to a genre, plus i do like the kickin bass on tracks like "heavenly city"
    Quite simply Mike it ain't Jazz mate. It is what it is, a Jazzy/Soul/Funk/Elevator Music hybrid. This does not make it bad. I gave it 6 as I liked some of it and there is some great playing. Giving it 1 just because it's not 'proper' Jazz is unfair IMHO. However I can understand the incredulity expressed at comparisons with Mingus. To be honest a lot more enjoyable than some other Album Club contributions.
    Last edited by Audioman; 17-05-2012 at 13:48.

I'm Keith.

I bought this when it came out, but didn't play it much at the time. In fact, I knew the signs were bad when I looked for it in my XBMC library and found that I hadn't bothered ripping the CD - one of only half-a-dozen or so of nearly 3,000 that never got ripped. I have now dug the CD out of storage and ripped it to my music PC.

Really not keen on it at all - echoing most of the other opinions here that it's very much 'jazz lite' and the funky overtones really start to get on my nerves by about half way through. Only 4/10, I'm afraid.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Quite simply Barry she is a top saxophonist, if you don't like her music that's down to you, and as I said if like me in the late 80's early 90's jazz wasn't your bag, it opened the door to a genre, plus I do like the kickin bass on tracks like "heavenly city"
    Hello Mike,

Agreed, I was somewhat trenchant in my comments. True she can play saxophone, but I really don't like her style at all.

I also misunderstood the scoring: thinking it ran from 0 - 10, I gave a 1. I should have scored it 2. Is it possible to change my scoring?

Anyway if she (along with Charles Mingus) introduced you to the wider world of jazz, then that is no bad thing.

Apologies for any bad feeling.

Regards
    Barry

I'm John.

In theory, given the sax and the funk style beat this should be right up my street.
    No doubt she can play, but somewhere in all this lot the knack of stacking brass on a funk bass line has got a bit lost.
    It doesn’t quite funk and like the others, I don’t think its close enough to jazz to score on that front.
    It’s not that it’s bad, it just isn’t good enough as a sound style to get me grooving along.

3/10
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast