+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we seeking the first signs of a culture of un-greed in our industry?

I'm ILOB.

Here are a few worth considering also to the list
    The SAC Power amp although reasonably expensive in performance terms this eaisly beats my Gamut D200 an half the price new
    http://www.sacthailand.com/

The Terminator Just think in sound terms audio bargin To my ears this totally outperforms a SME5 and is nearly a fourth the price Not everyone design icon but in sonic terms pure magic
    http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm

Agree with Marco around the World Design gear the phono stage is a lovelly bit of kit
    I think there are number of Passive design pre amps that perform at a very high level for not crazy money
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Whilst I have been actively promoting my TC-7510, I have kept my trap shut about my PCOFC digital coax cable or my glass fibre TOSLINK. Both are at bargain basement price when you compare their specs against anything similarly specified. But it isn't that I am not making a profit out of them. I am just aware of the mark up some/most/perhaps all of the 'high-end' leads have embedded in them.
    But the greed is endemic in our industry. I was reading the comments made by someone on another site who complained about the fact that folks were switching to cheaper gear or buying 2nd hand. His livelihood depends on £20K speakers and £10K amps. Fine if you are loaded, but I know of one chap who bought a £10K CDP and then spent the next 6 months trying to off load it. Even at the last noticed price of £2,900 there were no takers.
    This got me thinking. Maybe it as a badge thing for many of the audiophools. To be able to post a pic in a forum gallery showing all that expensive gear stacked on top of each other.
    I had a few visitors round over the new year. One of them looked at my TT and asked why I still had it in my rack. He hadn't seen anyone play vinyl for more than a decade. Then he looked at my NS1000M and commented that Yamaha speakers were no good. I should get some KEf or B&W. I quickly realized this guy was being educated by what he read in hifi mags.

Howard, I think you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater on this and generally over-reacting. If you now choose to pull the offer that is your choice and I'll take no responsibility for you so doing. It is an excellent offer but the fact remains that it is limited to those who will only need one pair, not because they only have one source (those with two or more sources would still derive benefit) but because they run pre/power amps.

On a number of occasions I've tried mixing interconnects between the sounce/pre and pre/power and the result is usually deleterious. This is hardly a good way to evaluate a new product, now is it?

I'm Howard.

My contribution to this thread is at an end. Thank you.,
    Well, hello.

Oh dear. [shrugs shoulders].

In this spirit of altruism is someone kindly going to donate one loudspeaker?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Howard,

With respect, I think that you're overreacting, erm, 'somewhat' on this one. This is an excellent thread which must be explored in more detail. Your contributions would therefore be most valued.

Take a chill pill (or a coffee) and come back later

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I was reading the comments made by someone on another site who complained about the fact that folks were switching to cheaper gear or buying 2nd hand. His livelihood depends on £20K speakers and £10K amps. Fine if you are loaded, but I know of one chap who bought a £10K CDP and then spent the next 6 months trying to off load it. Even at the last noticed price of £2,900 there were no takers.
    Stan, please name names - who are you talking about? That guy's business is precisely what's wrong with much of the hi-fi industry and why the business model you describe is no longer working as it once did - hurrah, I say!

What you're doing with the Beresford DAC is much more representative of what genuine enthusiasts want and therefore liable to be a much more successful business model!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Stan, please name names - who are you talking about? That guy's business is precisely what's wrong with much of the hi-fi industry and why the business model you describe is no longer working as it once did - hurrah, I say!
    You have Crossed swords with him in the past.

LOL. I think I know who you mean! But I'm surprised he's come out with that kind of stuff on a forum - which one was it?

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    LOL. I think I know who you mean! But I'm surprised he's come out with that kind of stuff on a forum - which one was it?

Marco.
    I'll PM you the link. Your old mate Andre started the thread as it happens...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast