+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we seeking the first signs of a culture of un-greed in our industry?

I'm Howard.

Default Are we seeking the first signs of a culture of un-greed in our industry?

Yes, I think we might be. I certainly hope so. The Green Home's Black Mamba speakers cables (which I now use throughout my demo room) is a case in point. http://www.usedhifishop.co.uk/index....index&cPath=13

The low cost high performance interconnects I mentioned a while back is another example. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1335 ***

The Beresford DAC is another.

The new high value range V-series from Musical Fidelity (no, I'm not a dealer) is yet another example. A DAC for £99 + VAT, MM/MC phono stage for a similar amount – apparently. http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ.../overview.html

And I like to think my own Damiel power cords which – because of increased sales leading to increased productions runs is shortly to see a substantial price reduction. http://www.stereonow.co.uk/damiel.html

All in all I think this is most encouraging. Hopefully the first signs of a culture of un-greed in our industry are appearing. And not before time. Or ….. perhaps …… just in time, depending on your perspective of course.

Suggestion #1

Might I suggest that all of us keep a look out for other examples of un-greed and perhaps highlight them here to the benefit of all of us? Not discounted products, but products which are brand new and from day-one have a terrific RRP. Thank you.

Suggestion #2

Let's not get sidetracked as to why there is a trend to un-greed, if indeed that's what it is. Let's just be pleasantly surprised, and in a positive spirit stay on this thread at least entirely focused in find more in a similar vein.

In the spirit of the spirit I mentioned earlier, I have persuaded the interconnect maker to provide 10 pairs at a seriously discounted price – and only for AOS members.

There is a 90 day sale or return. The discounted price (and it is only for these 10 pairs) is £25.00 per 1m stereo pair and UK postage is included FOC. I have been asked to limit this to just one pair per person. So if you want a pair, just phone me on 0208 447 8485. Thanks. Howard.
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 07-01-2009 at 13:03.
    Well, hello.

I'm Keith.

This year we have managed to negotiate a 20% reduction in prices across the Allnic amplifier range , excellent products at competitive prices, that's how it should be.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Might I suggest that all of us keep a look out for other examples of un-greed and perhaps highlight them here to the benefit of all of us? Not discounted products, but products which are brand new and from day-one have a terrific RRP. Thank you.
    Hi Howard,

Apart from what's been mentioned already, here are a few which I think come into that category:

1) A PRIME EXAMPLE: Technics SL-1200/1210. Even in unmodified form it blows lightweight entry-level designs from the likes of Pro-Ject and Rega out of the water, and when fully modified by KAB or Sound Hi-fi, it's transformed into a genuine high-end T/T that can compete with the many so-called 'superdecks' on the marketplace at often ridiculous prices.

2) The Denon current range of MC cartridges: DL-110, 160, 103 (and its variants) - all offer superb sound-per-pound value and are ideal examples of the "un-greed" you mention. The AT OC-9 (at the old UK price) and 33PTG (from the Japanese market) also come into this category. Many so called 'hi-end' MC cartridges offer very poor sound-per-pound value in comparison.

3) The new range of Jelco tonearms (SA-250ST and SA-750D) - quite phenomenal value for money and offer performance on a par with some of SMEs top designs at a fraction of the price!

4) A.N.T Audio phono stages - quite superb for the money and are amongst the best solid-state phono stages I have heard - better than the likes of the entry and mid level Whest (and others I could mention), again at a fraction of the price!

5) The Puresound A30 integrated valve amp and P10 phono stage (also Heco loudspeakers) - same applies.

6) World Designs D.I.Y valve kits and loudspeakers.

7) Mark Grant cables - more on this later.

8) Cambridge Audio and Rotel's range of hi-fi equipment.

Given time, I'm sure that I could think of much more...

This is where it's at now for 'enthusiast hi-fi'. The unscrupulous in the industry will continue to fleece the badge snobs and the gullible. Knowledgeable and experienced people (like me) however want top-notch performance at realistic prices. We don't want to pay for someone's overheads from having a fancy showroom in a 'prestige' location or for nonsense like 'prestige value' attached to badge snobbery - sonic performance, decent build quality, realistic prices and great service is all that matters! The latter is extremely important.

That and the type of gear represented above is precisely what The Art of Sound is about. People are starting to 'wake up and smell the coffee' when it comes to some of the rip-off hi-end' products that exist on the marketplace, entertaining instead the use of the myriad of excellent and realistically priced equipment and ancillaries which is available now, some of which is mentioned above. We're very happy for AOS to facilitate that process and the continued championing of excellent equipment which meets our discerning judgement criteria

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Howard.

All good stuff there Marco. Thank you. Re what AOS is about, you are preaching to the converted.

Without I hope being too pedantic, is the Technics you mentioned still in production or is this a bargain from a bygone age? I ask because (a) I though that Technics had ceased as a brand and (b) my thoughts were directed towards new items at realistic prices.

Might I also suggest that you and perhaps others put the appropriate link alongside each recommendation? I for one would certainly find that useful.

Thanks

H

PS

I don't have a fancy showroom in a 'prestige' location. I did. And now I know better.
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 07-01-2009 at 16:03.
    Well, hello.

There is a 90 day sale or return. The discounted price (and it is only for these 10 pairs) is £25.00 per 1m stereo pair and UK postage is included FOC. I have been asked to limit this to just one pair per person.
    A bit of a chocolate teapot then to those of us (Marco and myself included) who run pre/power setups and would therefore need two pairs to derive any benefit at all. With respect this is a lovely marketing exercise, the kind I wholehertedly support, but excludes too many of us unfortunately.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    A bit of a chocolate teapot then to those of us (Marco and myself included) who run pre/power setups and would therefore need two pairs to derive any benefit at all.
    Now hold a minute. Either you are trying to wind me up or you are pulling my leg. Either way, I don't like it!

The maker is NOT a charity!

1. The maker is selling these at cost to AOS members

2. Naturally they want to avoid some greedy sod buying the lot and thereby depriving 'n' other members from benefiting. How bad is that?

Get a grip Steve. Hardly worth your invective surely?

The offer is no more of a chocolate teacup than you are! Okay?

If you and/or Marco (I presume here you are speaking on his behalf) find this offer not to your liking – in your exalted positions – then I and the maker are happy to pull the offer.

What does anyone else think i.e. should this be pulled because the guy on Mt Olympus feels slighted?
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 07-01-2009 at 16:12.
    Well, hello.

Howard, simply requiring two pairs (or none at all) does not make one a greedy sod. My grip of the situation is as tight as needs be. The offer is thus reserved for those with integrated amplifiers. That's absolutely fine as long as we are aware of it.

Hardly worth your invective surely?
    Invective? What, where?

Steve (feeling a bit like Oliver Twist after his first meal in the workhouse.)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Oi, you two, keep me out of this one!

Howard,

Without I hope being too pedantic, is the Technics you mentioned still in production or is this a bargain from a bygone age? I ask because (a) I though that Technics had ceased as a brand and (b) my thoughts were directed towards new items at realistic prices.
    I'm surprised you think that given the level of discussion about Technics T/Ts on here!!

Nope, they're still sold brand new in their 1000s. Look - you can even buy them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=all

I'll do the links you requested later

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Howard, simply requiring two pairs (or none at all) does not make one a greedy sod. My grip of the situation is as tight as needs be. The offer is thus reserved for those with integrated amplifiers. That's absolutely fine as long as we are aware of it.
    I don't like your tone and I don't like the sentiment either. Frankly, do you really think your readers are so dim as to not realise the restrictions? How about between a Transport and DAC, DAC and pre amp? Anyway, irrelevant now.

Offer now pulled. I'm phoning those that left voice mails for this offer to explain. Fortunately, no card payments processed yet and so no refunds.

Congratulations!

Meanwhile I'm off to run the profitable side of my business. I've emailed the maker to explain that altruism is [a] seen only as a clever marketing ploy and [b] not appreciated by some at AOS.

Meanwhile, given the spirit of the thread, was it really beyond your capability to find even one positive comment - or was it you could but didn't want to? No matter Steve, I neither know nor care.
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 07-01-2009 at 16:28.
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm surprised you think that given the level of discussion about Technics T/Ts on here!
    Marco.
    A bit PFM, that comment. Strangely, I can't find the time to read every thread. Would that I could. But I can't. Yes, ignorance still exists at Stereonow. If it didn't, then what would be the point of me seeking enlightenment, hmm?
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 07-01-2009 at 16:29.
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast