+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Audiolab M- DAC versus Rega DAC

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's my opinion these days that if DAC's sound very different from each other, then one of them is hobbled in some way to make it sound more "impressive." twenty years ago, "we" were still learning about the importance of various aspects, but today, most of it seems to be done for you and I seriously doubt there's much more to give.

By the way, the Rega DAC sounds great on its USB input, asynchronous or not! No drop-outs and similar to the transports we used at the time.. I must admit to not having heard the new generation of sub £200 models yet though...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    It's my opinion these days that if DAC's sound very different from each other, then one of them is hobbled in some way to make it sound more "impressive." twenty years ago, "we" were still learning about the importance of various aspects, but today, most of it seems to be done for you and I seriously doubt there's much more to give.

By the way, the Rega DAC sounds great on its USB input, asynchronous or not! No drop-outs and similar to the transports we used at the time.. I must admit to not having heard the new generation of sub £200 models yet though...
    Most of my comments are more about DACs connected to computers, I find the trio of async DACs from the shoot out all to bear comparison to vinyl - not the same but comparable.

The Rega was still good for sure but I feel that when a computer is involved then async seems to be needed to help the computer and battery power definitely makes a considerable difference too. With a silver disk transport there's no async issue and maybe a battery ps isn't so important. My gut feel is that the DAC chip itself is only the icing on the cake, it doesn't make a huge difference to the sound.

What I have to add is that the DACs I used connected to quite decent transports back in the 90's and early noughties most definitely did not bear comparison to a good vinyl system.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

DAC's bearing comparison with vinyl???? I'd better shut up then

Digital should certainly have bass power and articulation and a proper sense of air and space if there in the recording, which is summat I find missing on cheaper or less well designed implementations, the bass taking on a "cheap Japo amp from the 70's" kind of small, flat quality, if you see what I mean. I've only heard the Rega DAC once with a laptop source, and that was Alex's computer. Sounded great to me, but we were listening to the music I must admit, not the sound

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    DAC's bearing comparison with vinyl???? I'd better shut up then
    I was very careful to say they don't sound the same! I can listen to either of my TT setups and then switch to my laptop/DAC and not feel shortchanged or like I'm listening to rubbish. JPLAY and the JKDACs & Halide DAC are needed to achieve this - these are the ones I have available to me. The Rega doesn't quite do it so well but it's close until you hear these other DACs.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm David.

S'all right I DO know where you're coming from, honest guv'nor, and I'm never likely to hear your preferred DAC in any case. I think the Rega one makes a safe good reference though, since it's not too silly money and is pretty widely available up and down the UK for demonstration

I'm Gary.

unlike the Mdac!
    There was a great thread over on Pinkfish about a Dac bakeoff which had all the usual suspects (except the Mdac) and made for great reading.
    http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=93581

Threads on the MDac I've found (particulalrly on PFM) seem to concentrate on tweaking the thing and updating firmware etc with not much on what its actually like to sit down and listen to.
    Most that do tend to concentrate on the hifi stuff rather than the more "musical" side of listening.

Could it be down to different flavours of Dac?
    Sabre Dacs (Mdac) detail trawling vs a more musical cohesive approach using the Wolfsons?
    At a comparitive priece level, is it a case of pick the flavour that suits you/your system rather than one dac being "better" than the other?

For me, I think its better to be swept up in the music rather than be concentrating on the hifi aspects.
    You don't do that at a live gig so why do it at home?
    Last edited by Gazjam; 09-05-2012 at 17:06.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    The Rega doesn't quite do it so well but it's close until you hear these other DACs.
    Well I cannot sit by and not defend my beloved Rega, I think you may have been better adding 'IMO' here and also pay regard to the system you had it paired with - just to say it didn't sound as good, without really going much further may give some people the wrong impression.... IMO
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Clive.

All forum comment is IMO or even IMHO :-)

You can read the detail of the shootout at enjoythemusic April edition.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    All forum comment is IMO or even IMHO :-)

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

For any that are interested, here is the review Clive is referring too

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...c_shootout.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast