+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audiolab M- DAC versus Rega DAC

I'm Nuno.

Default Audiolab M- DAC versus Rega DAC

Hello,
    I have the Rega Dac and I´m very happy with it, but I wonder how the Audiolab compares with the Rega? Both are similar, or , according with What Hi Fi the Audiolab "Raises the performance bar with apparent ease"?

I'm Simon.

They sound a little different.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Bill.

Default M-DAC Convert

I went over to the dark side a few months ago and bought an M-DAC. Though I haven't heard the Rega, I certainly can compare it with my Caiman which has all the Tirna mods and a linear PSU.

The M-DAC was bought primarily for its feature set: remote, balanced outputs, and selectable filtering. It is also certainly a step up in terms of SQ with more detail and a greater sense of substance in the vocals and instruments. Not to mention that there is an upgraded PSU on the way.

In terms of value-for-money, it depends on your situation. I sunk about as much money into the Caiman as the M-DAC, because I paid someone to do the soldering, and it was used in my living room hi-fi where the remote was appreciated and my favourite ICs are XLR. Don't get me wrong, the Caiman is still a fine piece of kit that has found a new home next to my PC, so it's optimal VFM is for computer audio DIYers.

I really hope Stan will one day do a statement DAC that delivers the M-DAC's feature set at a lower price point and with better SQ. When he does, I'll have my chequebook ready.
    Bill P

Quote Originally Posted by CanDAC View Post
    I really hope Stan will one day do a statement DAC that delivers the M-DAC's feature set at a lower price point and with better SQ. When he does, I'll have my chequebook ready.
    My first priority is to raise the stakes in the DAC market in terms of what is possible SQ wise, without requiring a loan from the bank or lengthy discussions with the wife about the cost. Once most of us are happy that I have hit the nail on the head with the SQ with the Bushmaster, I'll continue work on the bits of the circuitry that is required to "do the other things".
    My view is that a lot of new designs have gone over to the dark side and dragged up the retail price with fancy new features, but only marginal sound improvement. I don't believe in the notion that our wallet should be subjected to a stress test just so that we can afford better SQ.

I'm Craig.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    My first priority is to raise the stakes in the DAC market in terms of what is possible SQ wise, without requiring a loan from the bank or lengthy discussions with the wife about the cost. Once most of us are happy that I have hit the nail on the head with the SQ with the Bushmaster, I'll continue work on the bits of the circuitry that is required to "do the other things".
    My view is that a lot of new designs have gone over to the dark side and dragged up the retail price with fancy new features, but only marginal sound improvement. I don't believe in the notion that our wallet should be subjected to a stress test just so that we can afford better SQ.
    Stan for PM!

I'm Simon.

Just set your sights on the Mdac Stan, if you bring that sound quality and functionality in your next dac I'm sure everyone will be more than pleased.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm gone.

I've heard the Audiolab MDAC and the Rega DAC.

I found the Rega to be pretty much neutral tonally, and an enjoyable listen.

With the Audiolab MDAC I hear a bit of a treble emphasis and some grain, too, it gets a bit insistent and annoying after a while to my ears. Excellent dynamics and bass though, and the mids are clear and lucid. It's just the top-end that's a no-no for me.

Personally, I could enjoy listening with the Rega DAC but not the Audiolab.

Just imo & ime. YMMV.

I'm a-waitin' with baited breath for the Bushmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    I'm a-waitin' with baited breath for the Bushmaster!
    I look forward to your impressions of it by this time next month .

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Personally, I could enjoy listening with the Rega DAC
    That's been my experience too Jerry - not to take anything away from the MDAC but I found it too bright and detailed for my liking, the Rega has IMO a more organic and analogue presentation. Horses for courses I guess and a lot will depend on the rest of your system, but the two Rega's together (DAC and Brio-R) work very well indeed.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Clive.

The Rega was present at a shoot-out recently, John was there as well as myself. The Rega was good but the JKDAC32 walked all over it. The owner of the Rega sold it the next day.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast