+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Could this be a 'giant-killing' tonearm cable?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Mains Cables R Us View Post
    "First impressions are quite superb, with the 223.5s having the beautifully wide-open infectious musicality and filigree detailing of the awesome 423.5 Phono Litz tonearm cable, currently in use on my Ortofon RS-212D tonearm, on the Techy. This cable deftly unlocks the densest of mixes and also lays bare the dynamics and realism of the finest recordings, thus making for a sonically beguiling cable partnership that doesn't break the bank."

and you were not getting all that with the MG cable then?
    Not quite to the same degree, as Mark's aren't solid-silver cables, and so have a different, but equally valid, style of sonic presentation. The 223.5s do the 'solid-silver cable thing' superbly well, but ensure that the end result isn't too 'hi-fi' sounding. They're a really lovely, natural sounding (and very musical), listen!

However, I do still prefer the G2000HDs between my preamp and power amp, and between my DAC and preamp. It's simply a synergy thing

The aluminium bodied Eichmanns provide better shielding from interference, in my experience, than the polymer versions, when used in analogue (turntable) applications. I use the polymer-bodied ones elsewhere in my system, to excellent effect.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Yannis is also sending me some of his 222-Connect Litz, to try, which is very similar in construction to the 223.5-Connect-Litz.

The difference is that the former uses larger, 22AWG conductors, and the assembly contains two hollow teflon air-tubes, twisted along with the Litz conductors (in order to add space with air dielectic and keep the capacitance low).

Details here: http://www.back-promo.co.uk/html/222connect-litz.html

It'll be interesting finding out if those can raise the bar even further.....!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The aluminium bodied Eichmanns provide better shielding from interference, in my experience, than the polymer versions, when used in analogue (turntable) applications. I use the polymer-bodied ones elsewhere in my system, to excellent effect.

Marco.
    I'm really not convinced they do provide better shielding Marco (and I have the aluminium bodies on my Eichmann plugs). Aluminium isn't great at shielding, they cover a very tiny part of the cable and they aren't connected to ground; they do look nice though .
    Account Deleted

I'm Neal.

I suppose there's a possibility of them making things worse depending on the type of cable grounding scheme employed...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Deleted.

Is there? I don't think there is much possibility of them making any real difference one way or the other.
    Account Deleted

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    I'm really not convinced they do provide better shielding Marco (and I have the aluminium bodies on my Eichmann plugs). Aluminium isn't great at shielding, they cover a very tiny part of the cable and they aren't connected to ground; they do look nice though .
    Is there? I don't think there is much possibility of them making any real difference one way or the other.
    Any evidence to back up these claims ?

SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Hi Mark,

I'm really not convinced they do provide better shielding Marco (and I have the aluminium bodies on my Eichmann plugs). Aluminium isn't great at shielding, they cover a very tiny part of the cable and they aren't connected to ground; they do look nice though...
    Indeed (and you may be right), but I guess that ANY metal will provide better shielding than plastic, or in this case polymer, which I suppose is why Eichmann make two different types of bodies for their plugs, for use in different applications, with both still being non-magnetic

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neal.

Maybe not but if the configuration is using RCA connection for a 'balanced' input and the screen is taken to preamplifier earth via a flying lead then the body of the RCA plug could be connected to the negative wire of the cart. It could pick up hum or RFI if the field is strong enough. It may not be likely but it would be better practice to ensure the body is not conductive.

---------------------------------
    Posted using Tapatalk
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Deleted.

Perhaps, but in the case of the Eichmann the return 'grip' element is plastic (other than an embedded metal 'finger') and therefore the cover (metal or plastic) does not contact any conducting elements.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Any evidence to back up these claims ?

Well Andrew, I'm not sure what sort of 'evidence' you expect; you are happy to believe that connectors and cables make a difference (I'm not saying I disagree with this), but there is no hard (scientific) evidence that they do.

I have tried a number of RCA connectors with metal bodies and the plastic bodied Eichmann's (also some with no body) and none of them had any impact on shielding that I could discern. However, the construction of the cable used clearly did.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Mark,

Indeed (and you may be right), but I guess that ANY metal will provide better shielding than plastic, or in this case polymer, which I guess is why Eichmann make two different types of bodies for their plugs, for use in different applications, with both still being non-magnetic

Marco.
    Perhaps, though inside the plug there is less than 10mm of cable unshielded (assuming the cable is shielded in the first place). Eichmann don't actually make any claims regarding shielding for the aluminium bodies. I've not come across any RCA plugs that have magnetic (ferrous) bodies; even cheap ones are made from aluminium alloy, plastic or brass.
    Last edited by YNWaN; 30-08-2012 at 19:29.
    Account Deleted

I'm David.

Perhaps, but in the case of the Eichmann the return 'grip' element is plastic (other than an embedded metal 'finger') and therefore the cover (metal or plastic) does not contact any conducting elements.
    Its very hard to solder the ground / return wire so its clear when the metal body is screwed on and hard to put heatshrink round it as well, very fiddly indeed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 72 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast