+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Could this be a 'giant-killing' tonearm cable?

MartinT Guest

Guys - meanwhile, I'm having a custom tonearm cable created for me by Tellurium Q from their Black Phono cable (the product which is not listed but which I am using between my step-up transformer and phono preamp). I will have it for evaluation shortly.

I think Marco and I will need to put it up against the Yannis, especially as the TQ cable is a very reasonable £285 plus the cost of a DIN plug which they are fitting. This could be a battle extraordinaire

I'm Mike.

Let me be the first for a ticket !
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

MartinT Guest

Yep - it's been a while, Mike. I'll let you know when we've set a date.

I'm Mike.

I can bring some LPs in case you don't have enough !
    :-)
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Dave.

The TQ arm cable is available in two versions - Black at £285 and Blue at £180, both available from stock.

At present, the cable is only available phono - phono for turntables equipped with phono sockets, which doesn't apply to Mike's Aro.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The TQ arm cable is available in two versions - Black at £285 and Blue at £180, both available from stock.

At present, the cable is only available phono - phono for turntables equipped with phono sockets, which doesn't apply to Mike's Aro.
    Dave
    Glad you spoke
    How are my cables best described ?
    The Aro cable I assume is an "arm cable" which plugs into an odd, much smaller than DIN socket, around 3-4mm diameter
    I think that then goes out, direct to the BNC connections I plug into my Amp.
    So that would be a "Captive Deck Lead" ?

Mike

I'm Dave.

A cable from the arm is an arm cable.

Some, like the Aro are fixed into the arm and cannot (easily) be changed.

Others have a plug/socket arrangement ( similar to DIN ) at the base of the arm which enables cables, with that type of plug, to be changed.

Some have a short run of cable from the arm, often fixed, which is terminated on phono sockets for fixing to a plinth or turntable base. The phono cable which pliugs into these phono sockets can be changed/swapped easily. That is the type of cable TQ manufacture - phono to phono.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    A cable from the arm is an arm cable.

Some, like the Aro are fixed into the arm and cannot (easily) be changed.

Others have a plug/socket arrangement ( similar to DIN ) at the base of the arm which enables cables, with that type of plug, to be changed.

Some have a short run of cable from the arm, often fixed, which is terminated on phono sockets for fixing to a plinth or turntable base. The phono cable which pliugs into these phono sockets can be changed/swapped easily. That is the type of cable TQ manufacture - phono to phono.
    Thanks Dave
    Any idea what the socket my Aro cable plugs into is called ?

Mike

I'm Dave.

If your cable plugs into the arm base, it's called a tone arm plug, I guess.

In your case, to use the TQ cable, you would need to terminate the Aro cable onto two phono sockets, probably dangling out the back of the Linn. Then you would have extra terminations in the way of the signal.

I'm Simon.

The plug on the end of the Aro internal arm wire used to be made by Racal, and after that it was a Marconi part and then the design fell into the hands of yet another company, military communication equipment again. But I'm unsure who makes them now though they are still available in small numbers.

Might be worthwhile asking Naim who supplied them last.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast