+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The BBE maximizer

I'm Dimitris.

Default The BBE maximizer

This is a big tweek, for real. It really transforms sound, betters the stereo image, soundstage, improves clarity by restoring waves. You can search it on the net. I am using a Cambridge audio thru a BBE 482i maximizer & i am inlove with it most of the time, except when its not maching with a specific cd, overemphasizing high frequencies, makes it little harsh, so i switch it to standby. But most of the times it works and its doing a big difference on sound not obtainable by any other equipment as far as i know. Its not like adding treble or something, its a phase correction.
    I know there is people dont like it, but i think they are overcharmed by the i of being purist and dont really listen to whats happening. As i said i sometimes put it off when i think its not helping, but in most cases it does. Anyway i would like to hear what others think and debate furthermore.

I'm Dimitris.

that is" passioned with the idea of being purist", sorry about my english, ill try my best on the way

I'm Alex.

What is the principal of operation of the BBE maximiser? I know that they are mainly a studio tool.

Cheers,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Dimitris.

Hello Alex, it divides the signal with a crossover and delays the low frequencies. They claim that this eliminates the distortion created by the speakers that by "nature" play low frequencies before the highs.
    Well they use it on cymbals and others in the studio, its also integrated with many electronic products such as TVS and car audio players,comes as a product feature, and with instrument pedals.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by PELASGOS View Post
    Hello Alex, it divides the signal with a crossover and delays the low frequencies. They claim that this eliminates the distortion created by the speakers that by "nature" play low frequencies before the highs.
    That's odd? Group delay is only really prevalent in the bass region & it is more pronounced with reflex speakers. This means that the bass is produced after the midrange & treble, not before it. So in reality you'd need to delay frequencies above the bass region to bring them back into alignment, not the other way round.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Demetris.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    That's odd? Group delay is only really prevalent in the bass region & it is more pronounced with reflex speakers. This means that the bass is produced after the midrange & treble, not before it. So in reality you'd need to delay frequencies above the bass region to bring them back into alignment, not the other way round.
    http://www.bbesound.com/products/son...zers/482i.aspx
    Here is the link with a short description not getting deep at all though, so more investigation is needed to scientifically explain this. My knowledge doesnt go so deep, so i cant justify their claims , but... i surely can hear the difference in sound. The phase distortion you are mentioning is of a mechanical nature, and if i am not mistaken ( i dont remember if i 've read this somewhere in the past , its been many years now..) they are referring to a crossover phase distortion. I ll have to try it again with my Focal Sopras and i have a feeling its going to be too bright now compared then when i used an MAudio RS1 , sopra are way cleaner. By the way its me "Pelasgos" i have two accounts, i guess i ll have to erase one...

I'm kenny.

I have a BBE 882i Maximizer installed, I'm very happy with it. It also has an adjustable bass filter and an adjustable subwoofer output level.

I'm John.

I know little about the BBE principle really but I did play about with the dreaded in car stereo thing many moons ago and had a headset that integrated this. It worked quite well in terms of helping to get a good listening position at the drivers seat if I remember correctly.

I suppose timing and delay were important in that regard.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home built PC driving Adam Audio 7 Active Monitors from Asus Xonar Essence STX.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I seem to recall that Aiwa were either involved in BBE or had some kind of license to use it on their systems - midi systems IIRC; that’s shows how long ago I recall it from. A ‘BBE’ button appeared on quite a few of their devices, and I had an Aiwa cassette player with BBE and some kind of bass enhancement system too.

Made a nice sound from memory. Not hi-fi but certainly good enough for small headphones.

I'm Peter.

Wink

Hi Dimitris

Better late than never.
    I used this in a nightclub in the early 90s, it sounded good, made a dull recording sound more interesting and generally added a bit of sparkle & shine. It certainly complimented & enhanced EDM/ 90s rave music.
    There was additional enhancement for the bass range too. It would make the bass sound more rounded or fat and kinda make it a textured growl if you overcooked the setting, similar to a DBX 120 Sub Harmonic Synthesizer.
    Is it "pure" or " hi-fi" ? probably not but it's fun and in certian applications a worthwhile tool. Think it might be inspired by the original studio enhancer: the Aphex Aural Exciter, now there's a smart (cheeky) model name. Every studio should have one :-)

+ Reply to Thread