View Poll Results: How do you rate Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells'

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 - And Richard Branson can 'eff off for funding it.

0 0%
  • 2/10 - Run for the hills!

1 2.94%
  • 3/10 - Have you heard the demo? It's even worse.

0 0%
  • 4/10 - I kept the copy they gave away with the Daily Mail.

2 5.88%
  • 5/10 - Bits are OK, but it's a bit grandiose at times.

2 5.88%
  • 6/10 - Brings back good memories of the 6th Form Common Room.

1 2.94%
  • 7/10 - I'm not really a 'Prog' fan but I like it.

4 11.76%
  • 8/10 - I think it's a great album, but not so sure about his others.

15 44.12%
  • 9/10 - Fantastic, but I wish it had been a Double Album.

4 11.76%
  • 10/10 - So incredible I bought all the sequels. And the 'Best Of'

5 14.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 27.03.2012 - Mike Oldfield 'Tubular Bells', 1973

I'm Nick.

Default Album Club: 27.03.2012 - Mike Oldfield 'Tubular Bells', 1973

One from the subs bench this week, and an album which shouldn't need any introduction. But is it actually an album, a life's work, or a dead horse that seems to get flogged every 8-10 years when Mike Oldfield checks his bank balance?!

I must admit that I love this album. It's about the only one of his that I do like, but it's great music, and it at the very least set the scene for virtually every one of Oldfield's subsequent releases. At my most cynical, I'd say that everything he's ever released since, is a reworking of the ideas on Tubular Bells.

It was pretty much ground-breaking when it was released. Technically, though rough around the edges, it's use of multitracking and dependency upon a single performer for virtually all the parts was a new thing. It was the album that launched Virgin Records, and it's doubtful that without it Richard Branson wouldn't be the household name he is today.

Oldfield was reportedly unhappy with some of the technical aspects, and did a fairly straight re-recording of it in 2003. It's a shame he chose to get John Cleese in to do the Master of Ceremonies piece. Far better would have been to use the original multi-track of Viv Stanshall. Not content with that, in 2009 he remixed the original and flogged that to a desperate and needy public. This is on top of the 'Orchestral' Tubular Bells in 1975, Tubular Bells II in 1992, Tubular Bells III in 1998, The Millennium Bell in 1999, The Best of Tubular Bells in 2001 and The Complete Tubular Bells in 2003. That horse must really be hurting by now.

Despite all this though, it's a great original album. I have the 'Boxed' set on vinyl (very thin vinyl, but sounds ok), and the SACD reissue, with the original Quad mix on, which does sound great in multi-channel.

As an aside, it's ironic that for an 'albums' artist it was the use of the main theme in The Exorcist, and it's subsequent edited release as a single that transformed Oldfield from a narrow appeal to bedsit hippies, to a part of the English cultural psyche...

I love the live performance on the BBC's '2nd House' as much for the stellar cast of accompanying musicians, including half of Soft Machine (Karl Jenkins and Mike Ratledge), and half of Gong (Steve Hillage and Pierre Moerlen).

Spotify links to 1973 original mix:
    http://open.spotify.com/track/5gF8obnp73ewJK7HxvdTl2
    http://open.spotify.com/track/1rTSaxHhe9LUuy4jVgREI7
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Steve.

Well it had to happen sometime didn't it?

I have been a fan of Mike Oldfield since I heard him as a teenager, and have I think virtually all of his output bar the more wishy washy later ones..

Tubular Bells is of course a true classic, and you could argue that it's success lead indirectly to the success of others on the then instantly successful Virgin label. I love this album, and many of those that followed. Great choice!

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm ILOB.

I think for me 5 describes it best there bits I really love and I do also find it grandoise at times.
    I tend to perfer the original rather than the newer versions.
    I kinbd of want to give it 6 but 5 fits so much better for me
    Opps pressed the wrong button should of been 5 not 4
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

From Tubular Bells, to trains, planes and banks.

8 from me. Vinyl still gets an airing after wearing out a tape in the 70's.

I think I played this and Dark Side Of The Moon every night for about a year, until someone gave me a copy of Rubycon. Still 3 of my favourite albums.
    ATB

David

I'm john.

Wonderful album but what came later was IMO better. Better played and better produced. Ommadawn is a better album but MO had to start somewhere. The 2009 remix for me is THE version for newcomers to listen to. Much clearer and better overall sound. I have the SACD of the original and a few vinyl copies too..so I must like it. 8/10..
    John.

I'm Paul.

Excellent Album. 8/10 from me but I like some others better. Agree Ommadawn is best of the early releases. Also like some of the more commercial 80's stuff. Moonlight Shadow is still my fav Oldfield track.

I'm Keith.

Oh well - here I am, having at last got Spotify on my main system (using Spotimc plug-in for XBMC) thinking I'm now set up to listen properly when someone chooses an album I haven't got for Album Club - and what happens? The first pick is an LP I've owned for 30-odd years.

I'm not sure what the year was when I bought my copy of Tubular Bells (it's not one of the early copies with the black and white label, but has the full-colour Roger Dean 'twins' label and the stamper codes are A4/B9), but it couldn't have been later than about 1975/76 I wouldn't have thought.

Of course, I play it regularly and am very familiar with it all, but will take a fresh listen before casting my vote.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Nobody.

Your lucky you got 2/10 from me

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Great choice Nick - I think I've about 10 different copies of this on various formats... including a DVD-A rip I've never played - I also have just about all his other stuff, including II & III... This is also the first time that an artist has made a second appearance in Album Club - for those that missed it, Mark (Reid Malenfant) gave us Songs of Distant Earth back in November - Week 15. Looking forward to a listen with "fresh" ears.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by keiths View Post
    Oh well - here I am, having at last got Spotify on my main system (using Spotimc plug-in for XBMC) thinking I'm now set up to listen properly when someone chooses an album I haven't got for Album Club - and what happens? The first pick is an LP I've owned for 30-odd years.

My "proper" turn again next week, so looks like a challenge! But don't worry, it won't be Britney again!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast