+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Technics alternatives to 1200/1210

Default Other Technics alternatives to 1200/1210

Would anyone be able to suggest any other Technics decks in current production as a cheaper alternative to the 1200 and 1210 ? These cost 550 euros over here which is a fair bit more than my mate wanted to spend.

I'm afraid there are no other Technics TTs in production currently. Actually there is no other gear manufactured by Technics currently other than the SL1200.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Would anyone be able to suggest any other Technics decks in current production as a cheaper alternative to the 1200 and 1210 ? These cost 550 euros over here which is a fair bit more than my mate wanted to spend.
    Ebay. c. 250€-350€ for a good example.

Otherwise get one sent from England. Empire direct has them, or had them, at £315, or about 350€
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

We have been busy discussing the 'badge' issue. Is your friend after an outstanding turntable, or a turntable with a Technics badge?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

SL150 from the seventies possibly with a Nima, Hadcock or somesuch.

The SL1600/17001800 with a sprung suspension may be worth a look if they're cheap.

The early Quartz decks - 1300/1400/1500MK2's had similar arms but the cueing mech can fail and the current one is different. The drives are great though and ripe for tweaking. I don't know the 1600/1700/1800mk2's

The 1300/1400/1500 mk1's had lightweight plinths and resonated badly, athough if this can be dealt with, the decks are good.

This firm changed models every several months or so at the time.

The cheaper ones aren't really in the same ball park, although some of them are sort of Dual 505 or possibly Rega 2 standard
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Found this on ebay interesting, any thoughts !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220274909366

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

If it works ok, Chris, it'll be very good - with the right arm it should be in the same sort of ball park as my modded 1210

Techincs used to sell that model without an arm as it was aimed at the Japanese audiophile market, and not DJs. The current SL-1200 and 1210 are different in that respect being much more commercial mass-produced products but which are still derived from the SL-110 and SP-10. It underlines the fact that the motor unit is the real quality part of the Technics decks and not so much the 'free bits' that come now with the current 1200 and 1210, which are mainly concessions to appeal to the DJ-ing market.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Thanks Marco' you do know your stuff' i would have taken a chance with it but as you may know hopefully i will have the Timestep tommorow and will be slightly nervous but looking forward to hearing it, but be that as it may i have grown to love this little Japanese marvel of engineering and will not be going back to ye olde english belt drive or should that be scottish Gramophone.

I'm Peter.

These are not that uncommon, a few months ago a seller on ebay France had 3 for sale at the same time. I don't know for certain but I thought that the SL110 and the SP10 mk1 were closely related. If so, then the SL110 wouldn't have the Quartz lock.
    Last edited by Peter Stockwell; 28-01-2009 at 10:50. Reason: For clarity, and maybe to show my ignorance?
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.