View Poll Results: Please rate this album from 1 to 10.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 Ear grating Irish popy pish.

2 12.50%
  • 2/10 Too much Jingly Jangly MOR

1 6.25%
  • 3/10 Just listenable but can't stand the singer.

1 6.25%
  • 4/10 OK but can't listen to it twice.

2 12.50%
  • 5/10 Worth a second listen.

1 6.25%
  • 6/10 Realy nice album but wouldn't buy.

1 6.25%
  • 7/10 Lovely tunes and would purchase CD.

3 18.75%
  • 8/10 Excellent sublime music.

4 25.00%
  • 9/10 Not a classic but one of my favourite albums.

1 6.25%
  • 10/10 Fantastic classic pop.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Club - 20.03.2012 - The Cranberries 'Everybody Else Is Doing It..' (1993)

I'm Paul.

Default Album Club - 20.03.2012 - The Cranberries 'Everybody Else Is Doing It..' (1993)

The Cranberries - Full title - Everybody Else Is Doing It So Why Can't We ?

At the time not my usual choice in music but was tempted by the limited vinyl edition and the catchy hits. An album that can be described as Irish Brit Pop famous for the hit 'Linger' but it is full of excellent songs. Also well produced with great drums and deep bass. Dolores O'Riordan sings with a strong Irish accent that may not be to everyones taste but the catchy tunes and sublime arrangements draw you into this album. I have just purchased their comeback album but yet to listen which reminded me how good this was.

http://open.spotify.com/album/1pyh6iM7r1lvWgab6BEMMs

This is the Original album - better SQ than the 'Complete Sessions' version below.

http://open.spotify.com/album/6AR5l9eEiU5gMPv2wT1L9A

The album was available on vinyl as well as CD and came in a black sleeve with the CD booklet inside. Initialy numbered limited many more pressed due to demand so it is not as rare as claimed. Unfortunately crazy asking prices of £90 upwards at present. The vinyl is superb sounding if you can find it for sensible money BTW.

I'm Barry.

Love Linger and always meant to investigate The Cranberries further, now is my chance

I'm Keith.

Wow, not played that one for years. Looking forward to giving that a spin later (not on vinyl, sadly).
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

MartinT Guest

I only have the CD but have loved this album for years. O'Riordan's strong accept doesn't bother me, in fact it gives real character to the songs. Linger is an all-time classic but all the songs are listenable and Dreams is another cracker.

Thanks for the excuse (as if I need one) to play it again.

I'm Steve.

I have liked this for years, and I give it 8/10.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

MartinT Guest

8/10 from me too.

So who gave it 1/10 and didn't comment on why here?

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    8/10 from me too.

So who gave it 1/10 and didn't comment on why here?

It wasn't me this time, honest.

I'm still cringing but persevering to the end. I'll vote if I get there.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

I'm ILOB.

Not really my thing but good catchy pop

I am afried 4 sums it up for me
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    It wasn't me this time, honest.

I'm still cringing but persevering to the end. I'll vote if I get there.
    Yea own up you coward. Should have selected option to list voters ! I picked this partly because I thought it would polarise opinions. Also a lot of people who I believe would like it must have passed this over at the time as lightweight pop. Seeing the Cranberries on Jules Holland (he has been going that long) convinced me otherwise. BTW their new album 'Roses' is almost as good or could be even better with time.

I'm ChrisB.

Nope, it's not for me, this one, I'm afraid.
    If it weren't for Album Club, I doubt I'd have got past the first play, but I persevered and listened to it 3 or 4 times. It's playing again now & I just can't engage with it at all.
    I don't know whether it's Spotify or the accent (which I doubt, having been going to Ireland regularly for the last 20 years) or is it just me, but the singer doesn't sound like she means it. I prefer a bit of emotional commitment in a vocalist & this just sounds like she's singing the words from an autocue, having never seen them before & not knowing what's coming next.

That'd be a 2 then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast