+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4K is now on sale

MartinT Guest

Now all we need is the matching broadcast service, and without the massive compression that has wrecked BBC HD, for instance.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

If you read the blurb a bit deeper you'll find it only does the 3D stuff (without the glasses) at 720P, but it can do it for about 7 different positions in room. Apparently it has facial recognition & adjusts the picture to make sure you get as good a 3D image as possible for a good few people

As I say, I'm not interested in 3D presentations. You can get a pretty good reproduction of depth as long as you feed a good signal to a decent 2D TV imho. Cut the gimmicks & let us at that 4K image is what I say, I reckon 3D will be dead in the not too distant future
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Now all we need is the matching broadcast service, and without the massive compression that has wrecked BBC HD, for instance.
    Bad enough with standard Freeview, let alone HD - I dread to think, but I haven't watched TV for over two years Today I got in touch with TV licensing & confirmed that no license is needed here for another two years...

Send your inspectors round if you want
    Bests, Mark

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    You can get a pretty good reproduction of depth as long as you feed a good signal to a decent 2D TV imho.
    That's it exactly, Mark. 3D is just a gimmick whereas true hi-res 2D is superb. Witness digital projection at some of the cinema complexes (like the Reading Showcase) where the picture looks stunning and makes you feel almost giddy with detail.

I'm Dominic.

Hi Martin, you really are p**sed at the F1 saga with sky and bbc. I can understand why. Like I said, next sky will be demanding the rights to the Tour de France. Imagine F1 in 3D

Natalie

That's it exactly, Mark. 3D is just a gimmick whereas true hi-res 2D is superb. Witness digital projection at some of the cinema complexes (like the Reading Showcase) where the picture looks stunning and makes you feel almost giddy with detail.
    Hehehe, don't worry as I know Martin

HD is a funny thing, you can view it on a say 42" TV like I used to & everything is pin point sharp, but if you explode that up to 120" like I can with my projector, all of a sudden you see even more detail - even though it isn't quite as clear or sharp as on the smaller screen

Yet you can see things you didn't on the smaller one in more detail Only thing I can think is they were a little too small to really make out on a smaller screen, but on a bigger one what was a tad difficult to make out becomes more obvious.

4K with a suitable source will be frankly incredible imho
    Bests, Mark

MartinT Guest

Actually Natalie, to be fair to Sky for a moment, their HD picture on the F1 channel is pretty good as they obviously use less compression than the BBC. I can't really fault their first F1 effort last Sunday, the red button facilities and Sky Sports app on the iPad were very good. However, I don't want them getting their mitts on Wimbledon, for instance. That would be a disaster.

The problem with most HD broadcasts is that it doesn't offer the sheer resolution that was promised in early test transmissions because they're more concerned with squeezing ever more channels of crap into the available satellite bandwidth.

The problem with most HD broadcasts is that it doesn't offer the sheer resolution that was promised in early test transmissions because they're more concerned with squeezing ever more channels of crap into the available satellite bandwidth.
    Do I hear DAB anyone

Same crap... Lets give them bad bandwidth but loadsa channels
    Bests, Mark

I'm Dominic.

I've never really got the HD thing, although our tv is 1080p, but I wouldn't mind trying one of those 4D tellys, I just cannot justify paying £7000.00 for a bloody tv. Like I said we will just have to be patient, unless some people on here have a spare £7000.00 that they can spend on a 4D tv. I mean, you can buy a small car for £7000.00

I was also impressed with the F1 on sky, especially hearing Mr Brundell he was superb, and of course our Jenson.

Natalie

I'm Dominic.

One of the things that does get to me with the sky channels, is the channels that have things like How to paint? or south African soaps. What's all that about. I actually started watching this South African soap and got in to it, I scared myself for a second. And then you have all the plus one channels as well as ITV 1,2,3 and 4 or BCC 1,2,3 and 4. I mean how many times do you have to watch things like Cracker or Wire in the blood. Don't get me wrong, they were good programmes. Saying that, if you had a 4K tv and bloody Fitz from Cracker came out of you screen, you bloody crap youself

Natalie
    Last edited by Dominic Harper; 19-03-2012 at 23:33.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast