+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sickly Castle Conway II's

I'm Mike.

Hope it's only fuses, and to be honest it seems a bit odd that they make no sound at all, if there had been a problem with the drives it would had to effect all units in each speaker and as memory serves they have 1 bass 3 mids and 1 tweeter per enclosure, hmmmm

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm ChrisB.

My Pembrokes used to go dead as a nit when the fuses failed - all drivers.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    My Pembrokes used to go dead as a nit when the fuses failed - all drivers.
    Well here's hoping that's all it is, and i'll be counting myself very lucky if it's only fuses just hope they sound better than they look

I'm Nobody.

There not Conway 'II' they are the Conway 'I' the same as mine but yours are the Queen Anne version with the period legs & grill, they did the same for the 'Howard 'I'..great speakers..

Re: Crossover 5 Caps/5 Inductors all hard wired (NO Fuses)..The midrange unit has it's own Enclosure in the form of a large diameter tube that spans the full depth of the cabinet..

Last edited by Rare Bird; 18-03-2012 at 13:27.

I'm Mike.

Them's the boys Andre and you're right they are Conway I's, just got em home, fcuk they're heavy but there's nowt wrong with them, the bass cones will need re foaming but apart from that just cosmetic stuff really. Ive plugged em in and give em a whirl, i think the crossovers will need running in a bit, but they make noise and it sounds good so far

I'm Nobody.

Nice one Mike

I have the crossovers to recap yet..

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by F307 View Post
    There not Conway 'II' they are the Conway 'I' the same as mine but yours are the Queen Anne version with the period legs & grill, they did the same for the 'Howard 'I'..great speakers..
    Ah, so that explains it! Cheers Andr'e

Decent speakers in what looks like a georgian style enclosure... Ok so Anne was earlier but wtf, they still look baroque or rococo to me
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mike.

not a look that impresses me, i don't own a rover p4 or a pipe, smoking jacket or slippers either so they kind of stick out a bit in my house, the good thing is i don't think any of the drives need replacing and only the bass drives need refoaming, i've give em a bit of a whirl before the foam completely disintegrated and from that brief listen, i think these are going to be worth keeping, that 15mm cone tweeter they use is just awesome, smooth and detailed, didn't really turn em up and didn't really want to push the bass cones anyway but it's lookin good so far.

So next job is to get the foam rings ordered, and refinish the cabs, i've already started to sand them back and the damage is only very light so i'll get them looking like new, BTW does anyone know if there's a place in the UK where i can get the replacement foam rings from, i've looked all over the net and all the places that sell them seem to be in America

I'm James.

Couldn't agree more about the tweeters, nicer than kef etc of the period. IIRC they are actually mylar which is the diaphragm material of ESL57

Not in the UK but always had good results using foams from these guys : http://www.goodhifi.com/

Delivered within a week of ordering & very helpful - They stock far more than is listed online, well worth sending them an email with the exact dimensions you need.

I'm Brendan.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I recently acquired a pair of Conway Mk2 and I am stunned at how good they are. Great detail in the mid and high frequencies and plenty of bass for me. As said in an earlier post they are rather large but if you have the space and can find a pair in good condition I highly recommend them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast