+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mu metal and the 1210 PCB

I'm Andrew.

Default Mu metal and the 1210 PCB

I'm in the process of yet more mods to the 1210, yep its that time of year again. This time I got round to thinking about the magnetic assembly on the platter. I have a MN copper bound platter with the magnetic assembly housed as it should be directly under the platter. BUT! Will this produce a magnetic field directly over the PCB and thus introduce some element of EMI into the PCB??? Would it not be better to cover the whole PCB in Mu Metal or something similar?????????? Forgive me if this sounds like a stupid idea but I suppose things cant move forward unless silly/crazy ideas like this don't get mentioned!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    BUT! Will this produce a magnetic field directly over the PCB and thus introduce some element of EMI into the PCB??? Would it not be better to cover the whole PCB in Mu Metal or something similar??????????
    I prefer to listen to music instead of worrying over such trivialities.
    I've even managed to spend half an hour or so playing guitar, which was good, because I've spent the last three days working South of Watford, and as such I have been abroad (well, far away from the North Country, where men are men and sheep are perpetually worried)
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Simon.

You'd be better off making the pcb remote than trying to shield it. Far easier to eliminate any potential issue completely rather than applying a band aid. This of course assumes that the proximity of the pcb and the motor cause any issues.

To be honest I'd assume proximity of motor to stylus is a greater issue than motor/pcb given that the cart is effectively a very sensitive magnetic field sniffer. Certainly removing a Valhalla from my old lp12 improved the noise measured from the cart output. Placing the Valhalla directly under the motor had no adverse noise effect. Seemed like a worthwhile thing to check at the time.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    I've even managed to spend half an hour or so playing guitar, which was good, because I've spent the last three days working South of Watford, and as such I have been abroad (well, far away from the North Country, where men are men and sheep are perpetually worried)

I'm always weary when i go up north Chris , worth it for the beer though
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Attention to detail provides better sonics. And I enjoy "worrying" as I'm a tweek geek at heart

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    You'd be better off making the pcb remote than trying to shield it. Far easier to eliminate any potential issue completely rather than applying a band aid. This of course assumes that the proximity of the pcb and the motor cause any issues.

To be honest I'd assume proximity of motor to stylus is a greater issue than motor/pcb given that the cart is effectively a very sensitive magnetic field sniffer. Certainly removing a Valhalla from my old lp12 improved the noise measured from the cart output. Placing the Valhalla directly under the motor had no adverse noise effect. Seemed like a worthwhile thing to check at the time.
    You cant isolate the PCB how's the platter going to spin , hence covering the PCB with Mu Metal (which would isolate the PCB). I have a copper bonded platter so that takes care of magnetic fields travelling up through the platter to the cart.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Simon.

Can't you pull like 90% of the pcb out leaving only the motor and stator parts, and just have em on longer wires, or is it all one pcb for everything?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Motor drive & control as well as everything else is on a single PCB that surrounds the open frame motor on a 1210, apart from the standard regulator, transformer & other odds & sods.

If you had the chance to look inside of an Aiwa AP2600 you'd find that the control PCB is totally seperate from the motor drive PCB which happens to be buried inside of a steel enclosure to screen it.

There is some logic to what you are attempting to do, but screening the whole lot might not be the way to go. If you can screen the motor drive circuitry from control circuitry then it might benefit the overall sound
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Can't you pull like 90% of the pcb out leaving only the motor and stator parts, and just have em on longer wires, or is it all one pcb for everything?
    NO! Besides how would you screen anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Motor drive & control as well as everything else is on a single PCB that surrounds the open frame motor on a 1210, apart from the standard regulator, transformer & other odds & sods.

If you had the chance to look inside of an Aiwa AP2600 you'd find that the control PCB is totally seperate from the motor drive PCB which happens to be buried inside of a steel enclosure to screen it.

There is some logic to what you are attempting to do, but screening the whole lot might not be the way to go. If you can screen the motor drive circuitry from control circuitry then it might benefit the overall sound
    Thanks, a sensible reply at last Mark, can I asked how you came to this decision?? I'm intrigued why you think screening the motor-drive circuitry might be beneficial. Surely all components would benefit from EMI protection
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Well the motor drive circuitry is feeding square waves to the motor coils. These act like transmitters the same as any coil will if fed with a steeply or should I say quickly rising voltage. It's the same as clipping an amplifier - you get harmonics!

I should have mentioned that the AP2600 motor is a single unit as well, built into a steel case, so that is also screened
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Well the motor drive circuitry is feeding square waves to the motor coils. These act like transmitters the same as any coil will if fed with a steeply or should I say quickly rising voltage. It's the same as clipping an amplifier - you get harmonics!

I should have mentioned that the AP2600 motor is a single unit as well, built into a steel case, so that is also screened

Thanks for that! Looks like the 1210 guys had an eye on screening at every turn.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast