View Poll Results: Pale Saints - The Comforts Of Madness

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10 - Good lord, it's Pants

0 0%
  • 2/10 - Hope my girlfriend doesn't think I actually bought this.

1 9.09%
  • 3/10 - Begone baggy jumper and floppy fringe.

2 18.18%
  • 4/10 - Hmm. I'm not sure about this.

0 0%
  • 5/10 - BBC 6 on a Sunday afternoon.

1 9.09%
  • 6/10 - Not bad, but if I wanted segues between the tracks I'd have bought Dark Side Of The Moon

2 18.18%
  • 7/10 - Really rather good. Better than My Bloody Valentine anyway!

3 27.27%
  • 8/10 - Fantastic. I never knew what I was missing.

0 0%
  • 9/10 - Genius. Indiepop heaven.

1 9.09%
  • 10/10 - It's opened the doors of perception!

1 9.09%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Album Club: 13.03.2012 - Pale Saints 'The Comforts Of Madness'

I'm Nick.

Default Album Club: 13.03.2012 - Pale Saints 'The Comforts Of Madness'

My contribution to this week's Album Club is my second-favourite album ever. By a band you may have never heard of. And if you have, you may not have thought much of them. Think again.

'The Comforts Of Madness' was released in 1989 and was the first album released by Leeds band Pale Saints. At the time, they were lazily lumped in with other acts on their record label, 4AD, labelled as 'shoegazers' and pigeonholed alongside My Bloody Valentine and Chapterhouse.

I got into the Pale Saints off the back of their SNUB-TV appearance in early 1989. I taped that at the time, onto trusty Betamax, and transferred the audio to cassette, which got a lot of play. Some time later a friend taped me a copy of The Comforts of Madness and I was hooked. Compared with all the other 'shoegazing' bands of the time, this was complex, multi-layered stuff, odd tempo changes; pop moments colliding with avantgarde and truly scary interludes!

This album has melodies, and I think its this which has allowed it to stand the test of time.

Production-wise, the album is maybe a bit thin. It's from the years before the loudness wars and it wasn't mastered to peak terribly high either. And it had some very odd dynamic peaks. But musically it is one of my all-time faves ever.

Some years after I first heard the album I upgraded my tape (which had Sofahead on the other side, funnily enough) to CD and I still have that CD now. I also sought out their early singles, a flexi they did for a fanzine with one of their demos on, and an odd German LP which had another of their early demos on. I must be a big fan. I realised that for me it was the early Pale Saints that fascinated me - the band with Ian Masters. Ian left part way through the recording of their second LP. The second LP seemed to be missing all the oddness of the first. He took his inspiration to subsequent projects like ESP Summer and Spoonfed Hybrid. His oddball take on indiepop is clearly evident on his later material. I especially like the way he injects random noise into otherwise pastoral tunes, in an almost random fashion

I also own an original Pale Saints t-shirt, which I bought as used from the band's second live guitarist. I never got to see Pale Saints live but my t-shirt has

Pale Saints were a fab band who burned brightly for a few years, but still command a small and loyal following 20+ years later.

Spotify link: http://open.spotify.com/album/0nIWyOR3JgBnVsJgKQxyWt

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

I actually quiye like what I am hearing good review
    A pity about the production but thats my only negative so far
    Good choice
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

It was actually produced in two separate parts by two different people, John Fryer and Gil Norton. One of the producers had worked with The Wedding Present and I can hear aspects of that production style in this. The deficiencies of the production aren't really apparent on Spotify, but the CD, LP and cassette frustrate me

I'm glad you're enjoying it John. It's an album that rewards a listen through as a whole.
    Nick
    My system...

I'm ChrisB.

Blimey, I've not heard this for years!!
    Class A #1 left-field Beechynoise.

I never got myself a copy after I lost my cassette though. We'll have to sort that out. Spotify for now though!

I'm Nick.

I thought it would be something you'd know Chris, after your Boo Radleys LP from a few months ago. Wish I'd seen them live. I've a fair few live tapes now, but it's not the same Did you get to see 'em?
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Barry.

Who?What?Where?How?When?

I'm Nick.

Eh?!
    Nick
    My system...

I'm Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Eh?!
    Sorry , my way of saying "don't know this one"

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Well here's a band totally new to me, never even heard of them so for that alone I'm intrigued.

First couple of bars I thought hmmm, but now it's going it's great, 'You Tear the World in Two' is fantastic, great bass line which reminds me a lot of Hooky (Peter Hook). There's lots in here for sure, 'Sea of Sound' could be Fleet Foxes and it makes me wonder how many musicians have this in their collection, as I can detect a lot of possible musical influence here? Considering it's from 89 it really sounds fresh and not out of place at all 23 years on. Shame I missed this then as it's something I would have surely liked in 1989.

I'm going to enjoy this
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Did you get to see 'em?
    No, not at all. My only knowledge of them is this album & 'Barging Into the Presence of God' (an EP) which were on a C90 recorded for me by a mate. The remainder of the tape had something by Pickettywitch on it - chalk & cheese or what?!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast