+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Recipes for scrumptious and reasonably healthy food

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Good old fashioned beef stew with dumplings, boiled Charlotte potatoes, Chantenay carrots, brocolli and peas, washed down with a 2007 Californian Cabernet Sauvignon of modest pretensions.

Decanting wine, because of the larger surface area the wine is exposed to, permits a shorter breathing time for the wine. If the wine is a particularly good vintage, I will allow an hour sometimes two for the wine to breath en boutille.

Cheers
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sounds great, Barry. It's just the right season for stew. I think we're going to be 'road-testing' a new recipe for Cassoulet tomorrow in preparation for the Toyster's next visit, authentic Toulouse sausages and all...

He's a bit of a connoisseur, so it has to be right

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sounds great, Barry. It's just the right season for stew. I think we're going to be 'road-testing' a new recipe for Cassoulet tomorrow in preparation for the Toyster's next visit, authentic Toulouse sausages and all...

He's a bit of a connoisseur, so it has to be right

Marco.
    Ah Cassoulet - Steve's in for a bit of a treat. Takes a while to prepare but is well worth the effort.

If it doesn't sound too pretentious, the best cassoulet I have ever tasted (and I could never achieve the same result) was in Paris and in Antananarivio, Madegascar.

Regards
    Barry

I'm InSpace.

Default Dry Potatoes with Ginger and Garlic (Sookhe Aloo)

This is more of a 'side dish' or 'snack'... but bloody tasty!
    • 1lb 6oz (ish) potatoes
    • 2" by 1" piece fresh ginger - chopped
    • 3 or 4 large cloves garlic
    • 3 - 4 tbsp. water
    • 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
    • 3/4 tsp. salt
    • 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper/chili powder/chili flakes
    • 1 tsp. fennel seeds (more won't hurt )
    • 5 tbsp. veg. oil
    Boil potatoes in their skins, cool completely, peel and dice into 3/4 inch cubes. Puree the ginger, garlic, water, turmeric, salt and cayenne in a blender and make a paste. Heat the oil. Add the fennel to the very hot oil and stir a couple of times.

Then add the paste and stir for a couple of minutes. Finally add the potatoes and stir until they have a golden brown crust on them. The paste should stick to the potatoes and form the crust.
    Eat!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Default Kashmiri Rogan Josh

1 tablespoon whole fennel seeds
    25fl oz (720ml) plain yogurt
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil
    ¾ inch (2cm) stick of cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon whole cloves
    3lb (1kg 350g) stewing lamb cut into 2 inch (5cm) cubes
    2 ½ teaspoons salt – or to taste
    4 teaspoons bright red paprika mixed with ¼ -1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 ½ teaspoons dried ginger powder
    1 ½ pints (845ml) water
    ¼ teaspoon garam masala

Measure out the different spices.
    Grind the fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar or grinder until fine
    Heat the oil in a large pot over a high heat. When hot, put in the cinnamon and cloves. A second later, put in all the meat and salt. Stir the meat and cook, still on a high heat, for about 5 minutes.
    Now put in the paprika and cayenne (It is the cayenne which gives the dish its “heat”. I usually put in a teaspoon but feel free to put in more or less depending on your taste buds.) and give the meat a good stir. Slowly add the yogurt, 4-5 fl oz (100-150ml) at a time stirring the meat vigorously as you do so to prevent 'curdling'. Add all the yogurt this way.
    Keep cooking on high heat until all the liquid has boiled away. Alas, this phase of the cooking requires close attention and the diminishing liquid will also tend to splatter making a mess of your cooker.
    Add the fennel and ginger.
    Now put in 1 ½ pints (846ml) water and again reduce the liquid on the high heat until you have a thick, reddish brown sauce. Again, I fear there will be splattering but it won’t take long to clean up the top of your cooker.
    Add the garam masala and serve with Basmati rice and a relish. Enjoy!

Whoever finds the cinnamon stick wins a prize!
    Last edited by Mike; 14-11-2009 at 14:07.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Nice one, Mike. Sounds fab. I'll pass them onto my resident chef!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

There's more....

I'm doing a complete meal!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Ooooh... Then do carry on, Raymond Blanc

Marco.
    Main System

I'm InSpace.

Default Spiced Basmati Rice (Masaledar Basmati)

• Uncooked basmati rice measured to the 15 fl oz (425ml) level of a measuring jug
    • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
    • 1 small onion, finely chopped
    • 1/2 fresh hot green chili, finely chopped
    • 1/2 teaspoon very finely minced garlic
    • 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
    • 1 teaspoon salt (a bit more or a bit less depending on saltiness of the chicken stock)
    • 1 pint chicken stock
    Pick over rice, and place it in a large bowl. Wash rice with several changes of water. Drain.
    Pour 2 pints of fresh water over the rice, and let it soak for 30 minutes. Transfer to a sieve, and let drain for 20 minutes.
    Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until onion has lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add rice, green chili, garlic, Garam Masala, and salt. Stir gently until all the grains have been coated with oil, about 2-3 minutes. If the rice begins to stick to the bottom of the pan, reduce heat slightly.
    Pour in the stock, and bring the rice to a boil. Cover with foil and a tight-fitting lid, and reduce heat to low. Cook 20-25 minutes more then allow the pan to stand undisturbed for 5-10 mins. Mix gently with a fork and serve.
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ooooh... Then do carry on, Raymond Blanc

Marco.
    Madhur Jaffrey if you don't mind!... for they are based very heavily on her yummy recipes!
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast