+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zavvi gone bust

I'm ILOB.

I miss the interaction of real people too and fear for the few music retail shops left; as music gradually moves more and more to the net this model will become less viable. I remember when I usd to go into Tower Records or HMV when the whole place was taken up with music over the years DVD and games has slowly taken over. In the last 3 years most of the albums I wanted I have only been able to get from the net so in some ways I have been forced out of local music shopping by market forces I live in London where it should be easy to get the music I want from the big shops but for me this is not the case. Its ok if you taste is mainstream but my taste have never been mainstream
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

I really used to look forward to going to Tower when visiting London; it was a browsers paradise, with stuff there that you couldn't find anywhere else - the indie and alternative sections were great, as were the folk and jazz sections. About 4 or 5 years ago they stripped out the inventory and started stocking large volumes of fewer titles. Then they shut up shop and Virgin took over - more of the same. I've not been back for 2 or so years...

London still has it's fair share of great independent shops. Sister Ray, Rhythm Records, some of the Camden Lock places. I miss browsing places where there is a vitually nil possibility of coming across something special!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

I guess what gets me even more is the slow but gradual erosion of live music venues
    I used to go the Marquee at least twice a week. Still plenty of venues here but more to close in the near future like the Astoria and Astoria2
    Sorry should be spreading Christmas joy!!
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12