+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd hand, DIY and luvvin it!

I'm mike.

Default 2nd hand, DIY and luvvin it!

It doesn't cost the earth to build a decent system, which, given that our mice are so poor they taken in lodgers, is really just as well.
    Absolutely every bit of this is pre owned or hand made, The TT which I rebuilt recently (thread in DIY) is the classic TD150 MK2, Tandberg badged, with the SME 3009 S2 imp arm and Shure V15 MK3 cartridge. No surprises but an excellent combination and I think would not disgrace itself in expensive company.

By rusty_bearing at 2012-02-28

The arm I rewired in copper Litz through to a small panel made from aluminium sheet. This has two phono and 1 earth fitting to make it easy to change IC's, cunning eh? The IC's themselves are made from Klotz AC110 cable with neutrik connectors.

By rusty_bearing at 2012-02-28.

Its been made Linn size and used hinges found. Lid was by a plastics company and made to size. The feet are the bits left after using a 45mm holesaw on some oak, threaded bar gives adjustment and some 6m ball bearings mean minimal contact with the rack. On some bits from Vic at Transfi to stop it slipping.
    Naturally there's one of Stan's Gaitored Caiman creations in here, bought from an AoS member who regretted selling in the end. Roksan Candy DVD (used) as transport and a Musical Fidelity X150 amp (ex demo) at the heart of it all.

Speakers are PMC GB1 which I got from a lad in Liverpool with Black Mamba cables bought , yes, on AoS!
    The rack is one I made some years ago when I had a garage come workshop, now we run a bicycle repair company so I've been exiled to a shed in the garden

AoS has been a great source of info since I joined it not so long back, so give yourselves a pat on the back and have one of these from me

I'm Dave.

Nice system you've got there. I'm intrigued by the choice of Shure V15 Mk 3. What is that like and what is its sound like then? I have a Thorens turntable and it might go with it very well.

I'm paul.

That plinth looks so much nicer than the standard thorens.
    I've just acquired a td125 with siii arm(fixed headshell) with v15 which I've just ordered a SAS stylus for.
    Bass Plonker

I'm mike.

Thanks guys....
    The shure sounds very clear and open to my ears, I often find I'm sitting quietly with a coffee and hearing very subtle detail in the music. It's had very low use so in the interest of resale value (reality has to be considered) I've stashed the original stylus and got one from Ed Saunders in the US.
    I would have liked to try the Jico SAS but with import charges and VAT I couldn't justify the cost. Supposed to take the Shure to the next level.

I'm told the 125 is more desireable than the 150 and very well made, what it sounds like I couldn't say, cetainly they attract a higher price.

Anyway for me the journey starts again, this time with a Lenco L75.........

I'm paul.

Actually for what it is the 125,s are remarkably cheap at the moment,one went on the bay for £280 with an sme on it too.
    Should imagine they'll start creeping up now the 405 have got really expensive.
    Did you polish the platter up yourself,looks very nice.
    Bass Plonker

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The 125 isn't as easy to set up suspension wise, unless you have three good springs. All is not lost though, since LP12 springs, which are very good these days, work perfectly - NOT with a 150/160 as the suspended mass is lower.

ONLY look at a TD125mk1 though, as all the mk2's I've seen have sloppy main bearings and don't sound as "together" as they otherwise should..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The 125 isn't as easy to set up suspension wise, unless you have three good springs. All is not lost though, since LP12 springs, which are very good these days, work perfectly - NOT with a 150/160 as the suspended mass is lower.

ONLY look at a TD125mk1 though, as all the mk2's I've seen have sloppy main bearings and don't sound as "together" as they otherwise should..
    Well Dave some tips on setting up the suspension would be gratefully received,unfortunately I've got a MkII but I'm not going to worry unduly about that as I'm sure it won't sound horrible.
    Bass Plonker

I'm mike.

Yep, platter polished on the bench grinder with a Cotton wheel and some buffing paste, I've got enough to do loads as it didn't come in a small size!

Looked at 125 as a possible but I got the 150 so cheap I couldn't resist, didn't know that about the 125 bearing though Dave......

Set the springing up on both decks as per LP12 I would imagine?

I'm Marc.

you've made a very smart job of that 150.

I'm mike.

Thanks Marc. Enjoyed doing it. The plinth is version number two, wasn't happy with no1, partly dimensions didn't work for the eye, partly it had gone ever so slightly out of square which frankly was always going to annoy me intensly as these things do

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast