+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Tube Dampers for 12AX7/12AU7/EL84"

I'm Mark.

Default "Tube Dampers for 12AX7/12AU7/EL84"

Hello All

I have been using sets of tube dampers for 12AX7/12AU7/EL84/6922, these are high mass rings that fit over the valve, 2 per tube. The results have been good and consistent, see here;
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ies%26_fvi%3D1

Any other experiences with tube dampers?
    I have previously used the Tubesox by Ensemble, another good product although they are considerably more costly. There are also a couple of sets of the higher mass SoniKLEER on their way to A/B against the standard version.

Best Wishes
    Mark Bartlett

I'm InSpace.

Hi Mark,

I'm currently using 'EAT Cool Dampers' on the small signal valves with good results, they also add a degree of screening. I use Pear valve coolers on the ECC83's in my phono stage with even better results with respect to screening, without these on the phono stage I can tell when I've got a mobile phone in my pocket if I get close!

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm gone.

I wonder if I am suffering from early-onset hearing deficit?

I've tried tube dampers/rings several times over the (many) years - and could never hear any difference with them on. Those corrugated finny Pearl damper things might have kept operating temperature lower, I guess, so prolonging tube life ... ?

Any replies to this post, please speak up - it's me hearing, you know, it's not what it used to be in me younger days .... Not that I could hear any differences then, either!

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    Hi Mark,

I'm currently using 'EAT Cool Dampers' on the small signal valves with good results, they also add a degree of screening. I use Pear valve coolers on the ECC83's in my phono stage with even better results with respect to screening, without these on the phono stage I can tell when I've got a mobile phone in my pocket if I get close!

Cheers...
    Hi Mike

I had forgotten about the Pearl Coolers, and have not tried the EAT Cool Dampers, certainly more to experiment with.

Kind Regards
    Mark

I'm InSpace.

Personally I think the screening effect is more pronounced than the damping effect. Of course this may depend on several things, eg. how effective (or not) any equipment rack in use is at isolating vibration. And whether or not there are any screening requirements in the area the equipment is located.

Cheers...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Andy.

Default Tube Dampers

Hi Mike

I would give these a try, have used them before and liked what they did. My last set went when I sold a Pre Power and forgot to remove them, big mistake. Will be investing in some more when I have the inclination to do so.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/index.htm

Andy - SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm Neil.

Default Valve/tube Dampers

Hi Guys

I must say that I like the Tube Rings that Pm Components/tube shop sell. http://www.tube-shop.com/uk/prod_tuberings.asp

Just ask for Steve Turner.

I previously used dampers by a company whos name I forgot ( I got them about 18 years ago). They were good but the Kevlar webbing inside the sleeve would stick to the body of the valve, so when you removed them you lost some of the Kevlar fabric. They both shielded and damped, as the body covered about half of a pre -amp tube (ecc 88, 83 etc ). Any one recall what these are. Black flexible sleeve ( tube) cut open so it can expand, and slide over the valve, with Kevlar webbing inside ?

Regards D S D L ---- Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 10:20.

I'm gone.

Everybody seems to imply that they make a worthwhle sonic improvement, but any description of same is lacking. Can someone give me a clue as to what I failed to hear?

I'm Neil.

Default Hi jandl100

Hi

IMHO I feel they give a little bit more focus to the sound. Its subtle most times but with some tubes the effect seems to be a little bit more obvious. Certainly with phono stages IMHE I feel that the noise floor is reduced a little bit. The Dampers that cover more of the tube are better at this as they both damp and shield. Some dampers also apparently ( ? ) act as a kind of chimney to take heat away. Or so I am led to believe, but have no experience with the Pearl dampers so I don't know if this is true or not. These ( design ) always looked very fiddly to me .

Keith of Purite Audio has a range from Allnic Audio that look very interesting. I think he's due to get them in soon.

http://puriteaudio.co.uk/ Keith's business.

http://www.allnicaudio.com/eng/produ...e=003002000000 details of the Tube base dampers.

Regards D S D L ---- Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 10:20.

I'm gone.

I used the Pearl corrogatory rubbery things on eight 6550 tubes in my Lumley M120 monoblocks. Not cheap - and a total waste of money as far as I was concerned.

Have also used smaller rubber ring tube dampers on input valves - to the same devastating lack of effectiveness.

And those ceramic rings from Golden Dragon (?).

I must get my hearing aid looked at ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast