+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CABLES

I'm Neil.

Default Cables

I wrote this awhile ago. Fits in better, in part with this new discussion, I think.

So have a read for first time or as a reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by D Louth View Post

This is a hot one, on some forums the equivolent of pouring petrol on a fire. Not here it would seem.

cabling is one issue that so far we can't get away with out. Even one box set ups need cables to the speakers.

When I first got into audio about 19 years ago, either I was innocent in mind or perhaps open minded but I could hear that cables made a difference to the sound. In my ignorance, I was unaware of the possible reasons for this. Unlike now, but I still have an open mind. Lets face it taking a pile of cables home to try is a lot easier than other bits of kit. However fitting some of the ridiculous creations out there to your kit is another matter. Cables that look like things you would find used for tying up ships to the plain strange. Any one remember Coogan Hall a hollow copper pipe, with an outer screen that didn't touch the cable(pipe except at the plugs). It was a good cable but unless you fitted it very carefully it would crack. I always wondered about the effect on the pipe when you bent it. Did that change the sound. Same goes for any cable does bending and shaping change how it sounds ?

I have tried many cables over the years and up until recently had never been able to subcribe to the one brand cable loom. However having a chat with someone in the cable business a possible answer to this came up. The answer is consistency. Many cable companies who claim to make cables don't( unless fitting plugs can be called making). Many seek out and try cables, select them, label them and claim to make them. Even within a range say model x the interconnect and speaker cable are not the same cable even though that claim is made. Just dip into the RS catalogue/range made(which is huge). I am by the way not saying all cables are picked out of the ones RS make (there are other sources of cables out there). Now I don't have a problem with this. If time and trial is put into listening and selecting fine but the price should bear that out. To ask to much is a bloody cheek. Now if you make it or at the very least make/design and ask someone else to make it then you can claim to make cables. There are very few out there who do this, very few( you would be shocked about who does and doesn't. Legal reasons prevent me from saying. But you know who you are. SHAME ON YOU).

So when I have tried cables in the past I have ended up with make X for linking source, make Z for speaker cable and so on. Only in the last few months have I found an exception to that with Atlas Marvos. Atls make Marvos from the same cable so the range of cables are consistent, through out. This goes for all their cables that I have tried. They design and have their cables made for them. No catalogue use here. So thats one issue that needs to be known, are the cable material used consistent within a range, my experience would suggest no, except in a few cases.

The other issues of length of material, type of material(silver, copper etc), type of plugs, Resistance and capacitance all make a difference to sound and vary with products in your system, as they too have these issues relating to them. This makes group tests a bit of a waste of time, as you will mostly get varying results with the same cables but different kit used and if you use one make of kit and many cables. This is a bit like group tests with speakers. Same room used will affect the results. Some speakers work better in some rooms rather than others.

How a cable will work in your set up, will depend on your kit. You will just have to try it and see how it sounds. Is it wrong to use cables as a tone control. Well that will depend on you and how badly mismatched your kit is.
    If you have a well balanced system then cabling should be a bit easier to select. I have only rarely heard cables that can completely destroy the sound of a system and work with only a small range of kit. Most have a basic sound and are not as dramatic. But dramatic ones do exist. So the post one above is not wrong, just I haven't come across this to the same extent.

Most of us will select cables to match a sound preference or we will go with what is hot at the moment( sometimes without trying, very foolish). We all know what the hot 3 are Nordost, Chord and Kimber. I feel that you should consider cables at the very least in a similar way to picking the rest of your system when you are buying a complete new set up. If you are playing with cables as upgrades then you will have to just suck it and see and be prepared to be surprised at what works and what does not. But it is important to remember that many changes are just that and not improvements. The sound improvements cables can make is quite often subtle. Though not always, Ureka moments do exist. One thing you should also bear in mind is have the cables been run in fully. I know this is an issue too but most if not all cables benefit from running in IMHE. Also even if used they may also need a period of settling in (this is different to run in)-I don't understand that one but it can happen. Any suggestions as to why. Current needed to get the material loosened up to allow easier signal flow, perhaps ? Maybe thats BS, just an idea.

Above all have an open mind.

Regards D Louth
    It worked. Brilliant. Sorry, but I could not seem to quote this on to this new thread. Can that be done ?

[Done - Beechwoods]

Regards D S D L---- Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 10:17.

This reminds me of when I started developing the THOR range in the late 90's. After nearly two years of R&D and many £ notes being spent, I was asked what guarantee I could give the company that I was on to a winner. I offered to resign if I didn't get a 5 star WHF award with any lead our MD wished to pick and submit for review. He picked the SCART lead and it dully got a 5 star award. Then he brought in these guys from a company called MIT to see how they could help me. They couldn't. I was ahead of them in my R&D in a number of areas.

I'm Paul.

Interesting link

http://www.ultracad.com/articles/propagationtime.pdf

Not all cable marketing is bollocks
    ~Paul~

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cawley View Post
    OK Guys, I'm here now! I think although were wrong, that we call interconnects cables, and vice versa.

Before diving in, what was the C**** cable and what was the RS part number, and what magazine/issue was it in.

When we get to the end of this thread, the world will be a different place!!

Regards

Dave
    Quotes,
    got some coax of a local dealer ages ago who said it was the same as C**** or T******** cant remember,attached a pic sounds like the stuff you're after though it's got 7 strand core
    its labelled URM 67LE

the belden cable can be found on this page, it is near the bottom code number 9913f7 in the RG-8/U section.

http://www.belden.com/pdfs/03Belden_...s/06.67_71.pdf

Ecoflex 10 Coax Cable
    It is a 10.3mm diameter cable.
    Center Diam 3mm pure stranded copper
    Dielectric: - PE-LLC Foam closed cell.
    Foil:- 100% Copper with Plastic backing
    72% Copper wire Braid
    Bend Radius: - 40mm minimum repeteable.
    Outer Jacket: - uPVC Type 5 UV STABLE

C**** O******:
    Conductor: 12 AWG Silver Plated Copper
    Strands: 19 x 0.45mm
    Dielectric: Teflon (PTFE)

PTFE Equipment wire:
    RS Part no: 526-8403

Conductor AWG12
    Strands 19 / 0.45mm
    Conductor Material Silver-Plated Copper
    Conductor Insulation PTFE

£73 +VAT 25m

Ecoflex15
    Inner 7 x 1.55mm copper wire
    Dielectric LLC-PE Foam
    100% Foil Screen with PE Plastic backing
    72% Copper wire braiding

£4.25 a meter

Just examples of C**** speaker cable alternatives, according to fora, as for magazines, well as I thought was clear, a reviewer said it was known that cable manufacturers re-badge stock stuff, at least eight manufacturers he knows of, but refused to comment further as it may upset the apple cart.

For the record I have defended C**** cable, sent email to Nigel, but never received robust evidence from anyone of claims being genuine or not.
    Last edited by Mike; 21-12-2008 at 22:51.

Quote D Louth,
    I have tried many cables over the years and up until recently had never been able to subcribe to the one brand cable loom. However having a chat with someone in the cable business a possible answer to this came up. The answer is consistency. Many cable companies who claim to make cables don't( unless fitting plugs can be called making). Many seek out and try cables, select them, label them and claim to make them. Even within a range say model x the interconnect and speaker cable are not the same cable even though that claim is made. Just dip into the RS catalogue/range made(which is huge). I am by the way not saying all cables are picked out of the ones RS make (there are other sources of cables out there). Now I don't have a problem with this. If time and trial is put into listening and selecting fine but the price should bear that out. To ask to much is a bloody cheek. Now if you make it or at the very least make/design and ask someone else to make it then you can claim to make cables. There are very few out there who do this, very few( you would be shocked about who does and doesn't. Legal reasons prevent me from saying. But you know who you are. SHAME ON YOU).

Shame you cannot name, but good to see confirmation of what I was told.

It is quite true that a lot of companies do not design their own cable. I spent many years designing cables for other companies as part of my job with my former employer. What did upset me is that a mega US company with a big name ended up buying a range of products from the same company in China with whom I was doing some ground breaking R&D work. If you look at my old site at http://www.thoravinterconnects.co.uk and look at some of the specs of say the phono connector I designed, you might pick up a few details that are very similar to things a US company patented. I can't offer proof of foul play, but I have my doubts.

There is a lot of technical stuff on that old site of mine that makes for god reading.

Stan

I'm confused. It was said on the other thread, that a C**** cable was reviewed and that it was identical to a RS cable. Did I remember this correctly from a few days ago?

What was the review (magazine issue), what was the C**** cable and what was the RS cable?

Thanks

Dave
    Last edited by Mike; 21-12-2008 at 22:52.

I'm gone.

Legal reasons prevent me from saying .....

Yup, absolutely - let's all remember we need to stick by this. No names etc! It's all too easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment.

I'm Paul.

The PTFE cable from RS is possibly the same as the C**** cable. There seems to be no way of checking that the spec of the copper used is identicle though.

Lets put things in perspective though:

Th RS cable works out at £6.86 per meter when used as a speaker cable (2 conductor).

This is not twisted so you have to do that yourself which is unlikely to be as acurate as as if it was done by a manufacturer and you would then have to put the silicon jacket on to stop the twists moving.

This means that you have to pay another £8 or so for the extra twisting and coating which is a little steep.

But then consider that you dont normally buy 25 mtrs of cable, usually 10 at the most for a non bi wire. So you would expect to pay a but extra for that.

Then think that you usually pay more for buying from the high street and the higher cost associated with well known brands and you are not really that far away. This higher cost is something that you find in all market areas, not just hifi.

And all this is relevant if the spec of the copper is infact the same.

What is more relevant though is if the RS stuff sounds the same, or better.
    Last edited by Mike; 21-12-2008 at 22:52.
    ~Paul~

I'm InSpace.

Legal reasons prevent me from saying .....

Yup, absolutely - let's all remember we need to stick by this. No names etc! It's all too easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment.

Yes please!

Unless, of course, anyone has unequivocal proof!. Even then, 'on your own head be it'.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast