+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge Alignment

I'm paul.

Default Cartridge Alignment

After an interesting chat with Dom this afternoon I now know that there are two types of cartridge alignment.
    Now I cant remember what they were called I could google them and look them up that way but I dont think I would learn quite so much that way so I thought I would put it up here for a bit of a conflab.
    I think I'd like to get an alignment gauge ,I thought I had one but God knows where it is (and he won't tell).It would be good to check things out.
    My cartridge is a Linn Troika and its sitting in a RB300 arm.
    Sounds quite good but the sound does seem to get a tad sweeter 1/2 way through the side.
    After my chat with Dom and having a bit of a listen this afternoon I do believe its time to move things on a bit regarding the old turntable which is in fact a Roksan Radius.
    I was going to whip the cartridge out and send it to Dom for a check but after having a look it do appear that the leads on the cartridge have been soldered to the arm leads,(bugger)
    So there we go chaps (and chappess)
    Bass Plonker

I'm Jostein.

I would try one of the protractors on the Vinyl Engine site:

http://www.vinylengine.com/library/rega/rb300.shtml

After setting the right alignment with the protractor, set the tracking weight to the maximum recommended. Then check that your cartridge is clean, brush it lightly if it is dirty, and then keep your vinyls clean and everything will sound just fine.
    My hifi system:

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MKII, Ortofon 2M Bronze cartridge, Mike New bearing, MCRU PSU (c), Oyaide HS-CF headshell, Oyaide MJ-12 TT mat, Vantage Audio Copper mat, Isonoe Isolation Feet, Isodek IF-2 isolation platform, Furutech Monza LP stabilizer, Herbie's Hal-O JR damper Phono Stage: Hagerman Cornet 3 (prototype) Amplifiers: EAR 868L Preamp, Transcription Audio 211 Heaven Power amp, Bob Carver Cherry 180 power amp CD Player: Ear Yoshino Acute Tuner: Magnum Dynalab 90T Speakers: Vandersteen 2CE SigII, Townshend Audio Super Tweeters, Transcription Audio Speakers Cables and stuff: LFD Audio interconnects and speaker cables, Mark Grant G2000HD, BlackCat Electronics, Van Den Hul Clearwater, Black Rhodium mains cables, Black Rhodium mains block, Finite Elements Resonator, Townhsend Stella Speaker stands, Pro Audio Bono hifi rack, Herbie's spike gliders, Herbie's Ultravox and Hal-O tube dampers, Super Black Hole CD mat Record Cleaning Machine: Loricraft PRC4

I'm Keith.

Hmm. Baerwald, Stevenson and Loefgren are the three main alignment solutions. The general idea is that because the record cutter is parallel tracking and most tonearms aren't, distortion is introduced. The alignment of the cartridge can minimise this distortion.

Stevenson's method is to align the cartridge so that the distortion at the end of the side (where it's effect is worse) is minimised. I can't remember which way round the other two are, but one aims for the lowest average distortion across the whole side whilst the other aims for equal distortion at the beginning, middle and end of the side.

Individual manufacturers' protractors are usually either one of these three or close to. Rega's is more-or-less Stevenson for example. Also the arm length and cartridge body size can have an effect - it might not be possible to get some cartridges far enough forward in some arms (eg. the Technics arm for example) to get Baerwald alignment.

Always worth playing with this kind of thing to see what works best for you. There are lots of free protractors available to print off at Vinyl Engine.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm paul.

Thanks for that,the cartridge has been set as far forward as it is possible to go so I suspect theat they might have been aiming for Baerwald.
    I'll have a look for those guages later thanks.
    Looking at the turntable now and I really like the look of the Michell Gyro .ho hum more money but if your going to use it you may as well enjoy how it looks.
    Bass Plonker

I'm Dominic.

Hi Paul. Glad I got you thinking about your turntable setup.
    There are better and cheaper alternatives to the Gyro, unless your buying on looks!

I'm Lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Harper View Post
    Hi Paul. Glad I got you thinking about your turntable setup.
    There are better and cheaper alternatives to the Gyro, unless your buying on looks!
    I'm looking for a new TT in that price range so do please tell Dom. Better and cheaper than the Gyro.... I'm listening with both ears!
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

I'm paul.

I am open to suggestions but as a 17 year old a (couple of years ago)I saw a Michell Hydraulic and it was the most beautiful turntable I'd ever seen and I've always wanted one ever since.
    Bit like a Harley Davidson,there are better but nowt comes close for looks.
    Bass Plonker

I'm Dominic.

Garrard 401? Waiting for the backlash lol

I'm paul.

I'm sorry mate but that does as much for me as a promise of a bj off Susan Boyle.
    Bass Plonker

I'm stu.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffbox View Post
    After an interesting chat with Dom this afternoon I now know that there are two types of cartridge alignment.
    Now I cant remember what they were called I could google them and look them up that way but I dont think I would learn quite so much that way so I thought I would put it up here for a bit of a conflab.
    I think I'd like to get an alignment gauge ,I thought I had one but God knows where it is (and he won't tell).It would be good to check things out.
    My cartridge is a Linn Troika and its sitting in a RB300 arm.
    Sounds quite good but the sound does seem to get a tad sweeter 1/2 way through the side.
    After my chat with Dom and having a bit of a listen this afternoon I do believe its time to move things on a bit regarding the old turntable which is in fact a Roksan Radius.
    I was going to whip the cartridge out and send it to Dom for a check but after having a look it do appear that the leads on the cartridge have been soldered to the arm leads,(bugger)
    So there we go chaps (and chappess)

I thought they were a quite well rated deck?
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast