+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TT Drive Catagories in Analog Art

synsei Guest

Default TT Drive Catagories in Analog Art

I thought it might be a sensible idea to include three stickies in the Analog Art section dedicated to the three distinct drive systems found on turntables. This would make it a lot easier for those with a specific type of TT to find advice tailored for their needs. Of course, it would be even more useful if there was an entire sub-forum dedicated to this cause. Could this be implemented?

I'm ChrisB.

I'm not sure how it could work - for example, where do you draw the line for threads about direct drive TT's? Just discussions about drive systems maybe, or all threads where they are discussed. I wouldn't want people to miss valuable info about an arm or a cartridge just because it appeared in a thread about someone's Technics TT.
    I'd suggest it might just help perpetuate the myth about DJ turntables just at the time when it's beginning to be dispelled.
    Personally, I'd like to keep the DD crowd reminded that other equally valid options are available (heh heh heh heh!)

synsei Guest

Take a look at Vinyl Engine Chris and you'll see it actually works very well. Arms and stuff tend to be dealt with elsewhere on the forum. If a sub-forum could be devised then stuff common to all TT's could be easily catered for anyway

My feeling on the matter is that those with TT's other than Technics won't feel entirely left out in the cold if this idea is implemented...

I'm Simon.

Don't most regulars just 'view new posts' so categorisation makes little difference?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Don't most regulars just 'view new posts' so categorisation makes little difference?
    Yes, I do. Or Today's Posts from the quicklinks.

synsei Guest

I fear my point is being missed

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by synsei View Post
    I fear my point is being missed
    That could well be the case!
    When you say:
    My feeling on the matter is that those with TT's other than Technics won't feel entirely left out in the cold if this idea is implemented...
    Do you mean that you think non Technics owners already feel left out in the cold?

Location: Podgorje, Gorenjska, Kamnik, Slovenia, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Local group of Galaxies...

I'm Blaz.

I think the forum really doesn't need even more subdividing into (more or less) vague categories. What would be really useful is a sticky FAQ about Technics Sl1200 MkII, with short answers and links to threads that debate the issues in detail. This forum has wealth of informations about Tecchie, but most of it got buried into several categories or hidden inside very long topics...
    Digital source: Squeezebox Touch
    Analogue Source: Technics SL-1210, AT-95E cartridge
    Amplifier: XTZ A100 D3
    Speakers: XTZ 99.36 MkII

Pezzer Ritter Wenne Knecht!

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    That could well be the case!
    When you say:

Do you mean that you think non Technics owners already feel left out in the cold?
    To an extent Chris, yes. Permission to be blunt. Even though I now own an SL1210 mk2, as a Thorens owner I've occasionally felt that belt drive decks are frowned upon somewhat on here. This forum is called The Art Of Sound and there are many, many ways and means to enjoy that sound. As someone who will soon be enjoying a wander along one of the various paths which ascend the SL upgrade mountain, I do worry that potential members browsing AoS as visitors just might perceive us as somewhat of a one trick pony, rightly or wrongly.

The vast majority of TT advice dished out on AoS by some very experienced and knowledgeable people refers to the SL series. This is great, if you own an SL. The problem as I see it is that all this advice rather dominates the Analogue Arts section and it can get quite overwhelming. Placing TT advice into dedicated drive system categories creates a one stop discussion shop for that particular type of TT, thus making it more convenient for those browsing the forum for TT advice to easily identify where the best place might be to search for it. Sure, one could use the 'search' facility but it still leaves the forum looking a little inelegant. As it stands, first impressions of the Analogue Arts section are skewed towards Technics TT's and the SL in particular. I suppose the question I am posing is whether we are all comfortable with that or whether, perhaps, we'd like to see a slightly less partisan approach? If this system is employed then Analogue Arts will be able to breath, after all there are amps, tuners and other non digital bits and pieces to discuss as well
    Last edited by synsei; 15-02-2012 at 01:57.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bwaze
    I think the forum really doesn't need even more subdividing into (more or less) vague categories. What would be really useful is a sticky FAQ about Technics Sl1200 MkII, with short answers and links to threads that debate the issues in detail. This forum has wealth of informations about Tecchie, but most of it got buried into several categories or hidden inside very long topics...

Which would be fabulous for Techie owners, but what if you own a Pink Triangle, Linn, Systemdeck etc?

Bwaze's post illustrates the problem perfectly...
    Last edited by synsei; 15-02-2012 at 11:40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast