+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The activation email

I'm Confused.

Surely this is a simple software problem? - I am no expert on PCs but I find it difficult to believe that posting in the rest of the forum cannot be disabled until after a post of a minimum number of words has been posted in the Welcome area.
    Alternatively is AoS too big to allow this to be manually controlled by the Mods/Duty Mod (if such a position exists).
    If all else fails build in some sort of delay between Welcome post and next post to allow the mods to authenticate - it might restrict the flow of members but it would do a bit to encourage only serious members to get involved, rather than 'serial enrollers' (zero posters, of which AoS does seem to have rather a lot IMO?)
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Alternatively is AoS too big to allow this to be manually controlled by the Mods/Duty Mod (if such a position exists)
    One of the issues we're trying to avoid, Dave, is polluting all manner of threads with polite reminders to go to the welcome area, which is what currently happens.

I'm Clive.

I too think using the forum itself to police this is better, eg making profile fields mandatory and placing a min number of characters if possible.

I bet most people don't even read the automated email on joining.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

synsei Guest

It might be helpful to place a message on the registration splash screen stating this requirement, that way you catch those who don't bother to read the email

synsei Guest

I know this is an old chestnut but the message in the welcome email requesting that members introduce themselves etc, etc is clearly not getting through. I have been monitoring the situation for months and the failure rate is far too high to suggest the problem is with the newly registered members themselves but is actually a systems failure. Isn't there a way to direct new members into a group which only gives them posting access to the Introductions thread, then upon posting an introduction they are then automatically transferred to the members group?

I'm Nick.

We could do that, but it's a bit draconian... I see the current policy operating on a 'gentleman's honour' basis, and to be honest, I think most new posters do now work with it rather than against it; we have a healthy number of new members 'Welcome' posts each day, with a minority who ignore the policy or forget in the excitement of wanting to pop their forum cherry!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

synsei Guest

I hear you Nick. Not sure which is worse to be honest, plonking them in a separate group until introductions are posted or the constant "Would you mind awfully popping into the Welcome section and telling us a little about yourself..." routine. Both methods smack of a parent berating a mischievous child. Perhaps an automatic reminder PM would help along the lines of:

"Welcome to The Art Of Sound. Don't forget to introduce yourself and tell us a little about your system and taste in music here before you sample the delights of the forum... "
    Last edited by synsei; 31-05-2012 at 20:08.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I think the ones who mainly seem 'to forget' are those that just pop in to either try and sell or buy something. It amazes me the lack of tack some folk have and that they feel totally comfortable doing this. I don't think you will ever got these people to comply and once they have what they need, you never see them again.
    Last edited by Tim; 31-05-2012 at 20:14.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I think the ones who mainly seem 'to forget' are those that just pop in to either try and sell or buy something. It amazes me the lack of tack some folk have and that they feel totally comfortable doing this. I don't think you will ever got these people to comply and once that have what they need, you never see them again.
    Which is where my initial suggestion might work because most of them won't bother going any further...

I'm Nick.

It's a good idea, and one that merits some discussion. We did think about the reminder PM thing, but we have PM'ing deactivated until a member has posted a few times to avoid spamming / other mischievousness, so that meant new members couldn't get a reminder PM!

I'd be interested in what the general opinion was on making the board 'read only' to new members until they've posted in the Welcome area. It could be done easily.

Perhaps some newer members will have a view? How did they feel about our 'Say Hello in the Welcome Area' policy? What about those who had to be reminded? How did that make them feel? Did they mind?
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast