+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The activation email

I'm Keith.

Default The activation email

As more and more new members fail to follow the request made in the activation email, maybe it needs to be worded a bit more strongly. Here's my suggestion:

|+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |
    | P L E A S E - R E A D - B E F O R E - Y O U - M A K E - Y O U R
    | F I R S T - P O S T - T O - T H E - F O R U M!
    |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

| V E R Y - I M P O R A N T
    |
    | Thank you for registering with The Art of Sound
    | We think we are more than just a just a forum; The Art of Sound
    | is a proper community of real people and we'd all welcome the chance to get to
    | know you a bit better.
    |
    | So...
    |
    | *** YOUR FIRST FORUM POST M U S T BE MADE IN THE WELCOME AREA ***
    |
    | where we would like you to say 'hello', giving your proper first
    | name, basic location, something about your system
    | and something about your favourite music.
    |
    | You will be assured of a warm and friendly welcome!
    |
    | *** ANY POSTS YOU MAKE BEFORE YOU HAVE COMPLETED YOUR
    | *** INTRODUCTION POST IN THE WELCOME AREA WILL BE REMOVED
    | *** BY ONE OF OUR FORUM LEADERS!
    |
    | Thank you!
    |
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Nick.

Thanks for your suggestion Keith. Its interesting that it irks you like it irks us! I wonder what everyone else thinks?
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm sorted.

Don't think it's too much to ask given how useful & entertaining the forum is

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Thanks for this Keith. As you will have gathered from me posting it earlier, it is a tedious job being a first post policeman, so anything we can do to improve matters (without scaring off genuine enthusiasts, of course!) is needed, I think.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

MartinT Guest

It's only common courtesy, but some new 'members' dive into the sales areas in their first post, ignoring the activation message and without so much as a hello

I'm ChrisB.

When writing those posts you have to tread such a fine line between grumpiness & friendliness! It's tricky.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    When writing those posts you have to tread such a fine line between grumpiness & friendliness! It's tricky.
    +1 but the rules of the forum are the rules of the forum. If people wish to join they should read and accept the rules. If they cant be bothered to follow suit like the rest of us then they dont belong. This is great for autoregulation of the forum.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Keith.

Couldn't the vbulletin software be the policeman?

Create a usergroup "New Member" for all newly registered users. Set vbulletin to promote members from "New Member" to "Junior Member" when their post count equals 1. Ban members of "New Member" group posting on all forums other than "Welcome".

Assuming of course that vBulletin can do this
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Nick.

We've had that same discussion behind the scenes Keith! We do a similar thing to restrict PM functionality below a certain threshold of posts, to avoid Spamming and the like.

Something like what you're suggesting is being worked on, though maybe not quite so draconian
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Bob.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    We've had that same discussion behind the scenes Keith! We do a similar thing to restrict PM functionality below a certain threshold of posts, to avoid Spamming and the like.

Something like what you're suggesting is being worked on, though maybe not quite so draconian
    A LOUDER welcome email encouraging or forcing me to go toward the Welcome area would have probably drawn my attention to the requirement rather than skim over it IMHO.
    However much I might object to being channeled, if it is clearly a prerequisite, it would not irk any more than realising my own stupidity after NOT complying....

Restricting capability to post a message until that is done, if technically easy to apply, would reinforce the point TBH.

Then all you are policing is the detal, such as why Mickey Mouse is living in Pseudopolis, with a passion for playing vinyl via cryogenically treated metal to glass tubes to Triffids, and other such improbabilities....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast