+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some of Jerry's CD Spinners

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Un-repentant box swapper...
    LOL. You see, that's just fine when you're honest about it!

It's the box swappers that deny it until they're blue in the face and who claim to be genuine 'music lovers' that do my head in

We know a couple of those, don't we Snaps?

Nice collection of disc players and DACs, Jerry.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

It's the box swappers that deny it until they're blue in the face and who claim to be genuine 'music lovers' that do my head in

Marco.
    ATB

David

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Well ..... I'm a music lover, too.

Here's a pic of some of my CDs .... ... the cabinets extend up to the ceiling.

I've about 2,500 CDs all told, plus about 150 concert DVDs (they're on the right in the pic) and 600 or so minidiscs with live concert radio recordings.

So, yes, a hifi box-swapper - but a music lover, too

Two great hobbies, that are nicely inter-related.

Wow - that's quite some list of kit Jerry! I'll bet that Burmester sounds pretty awesome, wonder what could be replacing it...

Lefty

I'm gone.

The DAX Decade has already replaced the Burmester plus an Audio Synthesis Passion8 passive pre.

Different, not sure about better ....

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Well ..... I'm a music lover, too.
    Absolutely, Jerry, and don't get me wrong I never insinuated otherwise.

There are some "box changers" I know who own, shall we say, considerably less music than you have

Personally though I think too much emphasis is placed on the number of CDs or LPs someone owns to determine how much of a music lover they are.

There is an element of truth in this of course, but I would contend that someone who owns, say, 500 CDs of various music genres, and plays them all regularly, is as much of a music lover as someone who owns 5000 titles and only listens to a fraction of them.

It's the fact that music is being played and enjoyed by someone regularly, and that the musical content of their collection is varied, that are the most important factors not the actual number of CDs or albums owned in total. In turn, someone with 2000 titles of the same musical genre, say, Prog Rock (sorry Andr’e!) would that necessarily class them a ‘music lover’ in the true sense or merely just a lover of one particular type of music?

Of course, if you've only got 10 CDs and they're all audiophile test discs you might have a problem!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Jerry, You've got me all intrigued now about the Audio Synthesis kit. Is the DAX-2 any good? Would it be an improvement on the Beresford? If not, what other DAC's do you think better the Beresford at around the £500 (secondhand) mark?

Lefty

(I also didn't get on with the Benchmark DAC 1. It was a bit too clinical and dry for me)

I'm gone.

Hi Lefty

I've not tried the DAX-2, it may or may not be the same DAC as in my new DAX Decade. I am certainly very pleased with the Decade - it's a substantial improvement on my Beresford Mk3 (as I mentioned, I don't get on with the new M6/3 - it's too "hifi" for me - I enjoy the Mk3's more relaxed musicality).
    Then again, a previous poster here says his Beresford has handily bettered his DAX Decade ... so, I reckon you've just got to decide for yourself! Sorry. And given your Avatar of Mr Hendrix, I can safely assume, I think, that our musical tastes are very different!

Other DACs up to £500? Well, there's loads around of course, most of which I haven't tried! All these things are very much a matter of taste anyway. If it was me, buying new, I'd be tempted by the fairly new PS Audio DAC3 - oops, but that's £800, so not a lot of help! If you can get hold of a MF TriVista21 for £500 that would be a bargain.

Must admit that as a box-swapper, my approach is to see what's on the 2nd hand sites, do a bit of research a la Google, and just go for something that looks interesting!

Not very helpful, am I?!

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Not very helpful, am I?!
    On the contrary, that was an extremely helpful post You make a good point about different sonic tastes. It's almost impossible to get an exact idea of one's sonic priorities via a forum. All we can do is compare kit that we have both listened to and post our views. To that end, we both had similar appraisals of the Benchmark DAC 1 and your call on the Beresford (although I've never heard the MK3) was certainly a good one.

My main reason for wanting a good DAC is to use with my SB. The Beresford is currently doing a sterling job and I guess I just wanted to see what else is out there. If I put my sensible hat on, I think the best thing to do would be to save up for a SB+ or Transporter. I'd then keep the Beresford for Freeview and other duties.

Lefty

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12