+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: <sigh> Digital to Analogue

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    You have a ground loop caused by your power brick being earthed. Find a way to disable the earth on it, with a laptop this SHOULD be safe. I have the same with my laptop. I created a 6 inch extension lead with no earth connection. Or use a galvanic isolator on the USB.
    I can easily remove the eart and you are right, it should be fine. The annoying thing is that the laptop itself gives a slight hum without the power supply plugged in. Any suggestions for a galvanic isolator for the USB?
    My whole grand Digital Plan is falling at the first hurdle here

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by northwest View Post
    I can easily remove the eart and you are right, it should be fine. The annoying thing is that the laptop itself gives a slight hum without the power supply plugged in. Any suggestions for a galvanic isolator for the USB?
    My whole grand Digital Plan is falling at the first hurdle here
    Cheap 'n cheerful one here, it works as long as fullspeed usb is all you need, won't work with hispeed.

http://electronicsshop.dk/?id=1038
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Cheap 'n cheerful one here, it works as long as fullspeed usb is all you need, won't work with hispeed.

http://electronicsshop.dk/?id=1038
    K have ordered one. I'll let you know how I get on with it.

I'm Clive.

K have ordered one. I'll let you know how I get on with it.
    I hope it sorts your hum out! In one setup I tried it stopped a strange sound I was getting, an interaction between dac and laptop switched mode power supplies running at the same frequency.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Bob.

Work intervened

So tomorrow I have time. Definately gets much worse when I plug the power brick in
    Unplugging the USB cable and any sign of a hum goes away. Bloody annoying.
    However, on the bright side I have waded through a couple of Terrabytes of digital files and I actually have nearly four hundred Gigabytes sorted now, only another onethousand two hundred odd gigabytes to sort now
    So how on earth are you doing that with 2 by 200Gb drives then?

I have never tried doing what you are with a Netbook, only a full laptop, but apart from processing power, there is no reason to assume the netbook should be any less effective. The interference should soon be easily resolved as Clive pointed out.

You will get there, then you can start experimenting....

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbasrah View Post
    So how on earth are you doing that with 2 by 200Gb drives then?

I have never tried doing what you are with a Netbook, only a full laptop, but apart from processing power, there is no reason to assume the netbook should be any less effective. The interference should soon be easily resolved as Clive pointed out.

Bob, I have 2 x 250Gb actually that I just use to temporarily store data in, I also have a box full of LaCie/Netgear/various other hard drive enclosures with drives in them ranging from 250 gb to 1TB. For the record I have a shed full of computers, some working, some not and if anyone fancies a 17" touch screen for their collection (this has just given me an idea) drop me a line. I have LOTS of computer stuff. Not all windows either - Mac, Sun and even a NEXT cube. That is aside from the telecomms gear. VoIP concentrator with 8 lines anyone?

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbasrah View Post

And for the record. I am using the Netbook because it was an "essential" component of my HiFi, so now I have no portable computer I just HAD to replace it with an iPadII. You see the thinking here?
    It worked for me

I'm Bob.

Thumbs up

And for the record. I am using the Netbook because it was an "essential" component of my HiFi, so now I have no portable computer I just HAD to replace it with an iPadII. You see the thinking here?
    It worked for me
    And there was me thinking SBT was a Logitech device....It's actually a human device...Sneaky Bloody Tike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910