+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best amp for IMF TLS80's

I'm Rob.

Default Best amp for IMF TLS80's

Got a pair of these to have a play with while my horns are being sprayed.
    What sort of amp do these speakers need,currently using a MC2 Mc450.

Also on the look out for some 8 ohm Celestion HF1300's and the fabled HF2000's and the stands

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Hi Rob, would that be an MC^2 pro amp? If so it'll have no trouble driving the TLS80s

While they have a fairly low & constant impedance in the bass, they do like a bit of control, so just don't turn things up too high & I'm sure they'll get along famously

Obviously they won't be the last word in midrange & treble clarity, but they sure as hell should be fun together
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Rob.

The MC2 seems to work quite well with IMF's got a high damping factor of around 400 and 100 is supposed to be recommended.
    liking the sound,different to my horns though.
    better I dunno !

have some AER MD3's arriving soon for the Oris 250's,looking forward to that

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The mk1 TLS80's were severely under-damped and the amps they and us used were the mid 70's Crown D series - D150 was extremely popular we found and sold MANY sets of these (with IC150 preamp).

These days, the MC2 should be excellent, now vintage AVI amps (damping around 1000 or more) perhaps, but Quad amps sound stodgy and Naim amps just sound lacklustre with these.

The mk2 TLS80's had low stands, extra damping inside and the later ones had TDL drivers (this is before IMF went out of business and TDL were "just" a drive-unit manufacturer). These, together with the RSPM IV's, were far more amp friendly and any good modern amp with some headroom and a tidy bass should work just fine IMO.

I'd love to hear an MC2 amp. I'm told they're rather good in a "top notch SS" kind of way
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rob.

Thanks for the info Dave.
    I finally sold my Hedlund horns and before the guy picks them up thought I'd better connect them up tonight.
    Couldn't be bothered with all the faff of wiring in my 2A3 amp so just connected the MC2
    What a shock sounds great ,daft huge SS amp on Lowthers,shouldn't work !

+ Reply to Thread