+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what happened to the bright new digital age then. Same as free nuclear power ?

I'm Bob.

Talking So what happened to the bright new digital age then. Same as free nuclear power ?

Finally hacked off at being pushed into yet another storage issue for the DVD player alongside the VCR, cassette, etc., the notion for HTPC coincided with a screwed up desktop about 18 months ago, and so began a journey into media which centred on one central theme... HTPC

All modern media (sorry vinyl lads) is digital and can be stored efficiently in a computer, and what happens to the audio and video can be farmed to areas specific to that task. ie - No DAC, DTS, RGB, HDMI, or anything else required on the optical drive, just a data stream to convert to a more compact file on the hard disk, no regional issues and no security that cannot be circumvented.

Gone are the dedicated CD, Minidisc, Laserdisc, DVD, SACD, BD, along with the raft of measures to ensure media could not be copied, regional coding, licensed onboard decoding, etc. All that was demanded by the media industry in dictating how and where the product was used, is no longer of relevance, which is quite liberating.

Besides the obsession of having new toys, and a tidy rack of boxes, it surprises me that so few here are not on this particular trail?

I'm John.

Having read your post Bob, are you suggesting that all media should be freely available (gratis)? Just wondering.

John
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Having read your post Bob, are you suggesting that all media should be freely available (gratis)? Just wondering.

John
    Not at all John.
    I do not object to paying for media (although I do disagree with the scandalously high pricing), but I do object to being told where and how I may play it, and that I must purchase new boxes to add to the loft space when I only need one tiny part of that box !!!

EG - Bluray on the HTPC is region free by default, not (generally) on the hardware settings of the player.
    Last edited by bobbasrah; 21-01-2012 at 18:33. Reason: EG

I'm John.

Okay, quite see your point now. Thanks. I am not quite as far as you with digital storage, in fact only just thinking of getting a BR player.

John

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm Bob.

No worries.
    My old system sits next door, and all I have in the living room is a big black box (wireless keyboard and mouse), a DAC, a dusty but redundant DVD player, a few USB drives for backup, and a receiver. Minimalist, and absolutely functional.
    FYI, all my BRs are ripped to 1080 if good or 720 if ok, taking up a fraction of the space, and can select anything from music to a video on screen.
    Perhaps I lose out on the ceremony of loading an LP CD or BD but I don't miss it.

I'm John.

Yes, I can see the attraction of just pressing a couple of remote control buttons, but I don't think I could give up my vinyl.

John

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I was having a similar conversation this afternoon. I can't help being an antiquated boring old fart, but I do like to handle my media () and it's this, together with the wonderful larger artwork on an LP sleeve, which has kept this format going I believe - looking at a picture on a screen just isn't quite the same for an oldie like me...

You know, B&O had the idea twenty years ago when they introduced the touch-screen and two way Beolink 7000 remote system. IMO it was way before its time and abandoned a few years later (just as Quad were dipping their toes that way and collapsed as a UK owned company largely because of it I think), but indicated the way for what can be done today with I-pads and similar, wireless operation and an NAS hidden away somewhere...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Richard.

Can't remember the last time I listened to my vinyl, reel to reel, cassette, CD collection. I now download off the net for free and listen to my favourite music on my Ipod.
    Richard

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

While I can see the convenience of a single box solution I can also see massive disadvantages

If my CD transport goes wrong I can still spin CDs in my universal player, the same with my upsampler & DAC etc.

With a single box if it goes wrong you can't listen to or watch anything until it's fixed

It's a bit like modern cars, older cars used to be fixable at the roadside, now to even find the fault it'll need taking to the nearest garage & plugging into diagnostic equipment

Obviously having not experienced an HTPC I can't comment on picture or sound quality, it's all the messing about a la audio PC that puts me off, as well as reliability issues & the pita if it goes wrong & leaves you with nothing.

While I'm sure these things make a good bit of sense to those who are proficient in computers, they'd just leave joe average in a whole pile of crap if they go belly up.

I do agree about DVD & BD region coding though, all except one of my machines will play any zone BDs & absolutely any region DVD
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonchipfryer View Post
    Yes, I can see the attraction of just pressing a couple of remote control buttons, but I don't think I could give up my vinyl.

John
    I'm almost finished rebuilding my old TD160 (don't start !) and will revisit that experience I hope shortly.
    The point about digital is that it does not need to rely on the physical act with the media once translated, but we sort of contune to accept the ritual if using a player. Having said that, don't think I've ever seen a CD or other optical player without a remote.
    Saw a remote controlled vinyl record deck once.....Can't remember the butler's name though....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast