+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garrard 301 - Whats the best method of Rivotting ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Andrew.

Default Garrard 301 - Whats the best method of Rivotting ?

I need to apply some face plates and I also need to Rivet the catch lever to the chasis? Your help as always is much appreciated.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dominic.

For the catch lever, just use a M2.5mm cap head bolt of suitable length. As for the plate rivets you could affix the plates with double sided tape and re use the old rivets for asthetics. I do have suitable rivets, but they are not easy to affix, being made from nickel bronze, they are very hard and an arbor press is needed for fitting.
    I can offer this service if needed.

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the advice Dom. I'll probably use similar bolts + double sided sticky tape to fix the face plates in place, I must admit its been a long day and I didnt think about double sided sticky tape
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

If you want to do it properly, looks like you could do it for £100 for the tools..

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

above tells you what you need (or you buy their kit - or find the stuff in the UK) and arbor presses start from £40 for 1/2 ton and £55 for a 1 ton press.

Audio Grail's ebay auctions show that they have the correct size dies and do it themselves.

Seeing as Audio Grail's 301 restorations fetch near £2000 a time, you could restore just one and sell on (at a lower price probably than Audio Grail - they have reputation!) and that will pay for your tools for your own.. (ultrasonic cleaning bath, arbor press and rivetting dies, respray etc etc - no profit for your first I'm sure but will likely cover costs if you can show your progress fully to any potential buyer).

I'm Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    If you want to do it properly, looks like you could do it for £100 for the tools..

http://www.pinrestore.com/Riveting.html

above tells you what you need (or you buy their kit - or find the stuff in the UK) and arbor presses start from £40 for 1/2 ton and £55 for a 1 ton press.
    Looks like a nice press which should do the job on the plates. The riveted on off linkage piece and the riveted serial number plate sadly might not be possible on this press however.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever.
    www.sellgarrard301.com

I'm Simon.

Just use a pop rivet gun.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Brian.

Something like this would probably do the job

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POP-RIVET-...item483fefb6e3

Brian.

I'm Andrew.

2mm nut and bolt has worked fine thanks.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Just use a pop rivet gun.
    Pop rivets have a hole in the middle, look cheap and certainly ruin the the look of a nice, just restored 301 !

I'm Gone.

Hi, Loricraft/Garrard use a bifurcated flat head rivet, which pushes in easily, holds the plate and looks correct. Why not give them a call I'm sure they would send yo a few

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast