+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Superclock in SL-1210

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol, perhaps - that would certainly be interesting and no doubt entertaining!

I think we have to remain open minded to the possibility that current technology may have succeeded to produce a more advanced and sonically superior crystal to that which Panasonic originally used.

However, we must also acknowledge that the crystal Panasonic used would've been an integral part of the original circuit, and that a turntable is very much about the sum of its parts, rather than the influence of any individual component.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

One thing's for sure: that crystal frequency seems to be unique to the SL-1210, I can't find one of that frequency from anywhere else. Would be interesting to take a dekko at Monarch's improvements. Maybe they have put it in a temperature controlled environment? Easy to put it in a small can with a resistor to create a constant temperature.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

If you want the best you need one with a built in oven I know that sounds nuts, but effectively the idea is to keep the crystal at a dead constant temperature & thus the accuracy will be maintained over various room & equipment temps.

It's not really an oven but effectively a small heater, probably a resistor & a temperature sensor designed to keep it at a set temp.

Not sure what's in these superclocks but I know they are more accurate than the common or garden quartz crystals in standard players, they maintain the accuracy as well from what I have read

E2A:- Should have read Martins post
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

MartinT Guest

Failing any other avenue, I might try the 'oven' approach.

I'm Paul.

I will be ordering some crystals shortly for a new clock design that I have running in test. I will ask the manufacturer if he can produce a suitable crystal for the SL1200.
    Paul Hynes Design
    paulhynesdesign.com
    High Performance Power Supply upgrades
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16655

MartinT Guest

Thanks, Paul! Meanwhile, I am in discussion with Mark at Audiocom with a view to whether a Superclock could be applied to the circuit.

I'm Andrew.

Great idea with regards the Superclock. I always suspected the PCB and components could be bettered. I'm watching this thread with great interest.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hynes View Post
    I will be ordering some crystals shortly for a new clock design that I have running in test. I will ask the manufacturer if he can produce a suitable crystal for the SL1200.
    Yes, awesome! As well, thank you, sir! I look forward to the response.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Great idea with regards the Superclock. I always suspected the PCB and components could be bettered. I'm watching this thread with great interest.
    +1
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

I'm Simon.

Looking at something similar for the Hercules PS, new discrete regs and better XO's/local regs. Has to be worth a tinker, and I'll measure the results at the stylus for you all to see.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Patrick.

If you are going to build an ovenized oscillator, you must use a crystal that is designed to work in an oven. They usually are not cheap.

"Cheap" crystals are usually in an HC-49/s holder. You could not pay me to use one of those. If you are going to get someone to make you a custom crystal, don't let them talk you into that holder. It will not be any better than what you already have. It very well could be worse.

Crystals are manufactured to be inexpensive, just like pretty much anything else. It is just a fact of life. But, getting someone to make a decent one is not fun. They are all geared to buying their parts from Asia, and their sole concern is price. Few companies make their own crystals, these days. So, when you approach someone about making a custom part, they usually are not interested. Their suppliers only want to make parts that are cheap and common. Trying to get someone to make a small handful, at an oddball frequency, is a pain.

We have been beating the bushes, for months, trying to get decent crystals. And at the usual frequencies, for digital audio.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast