+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frugal 3 build

I'm Steve.

Default Frugal 3 build

Bought a flatpack kit from Colin Topps at Christmas and just got around to building it. Colin's kit is a work of art in itself, truly inspiring from opening the box, biscuit joints line everything up and the quality of the finished project is then in your own hands. Sorry the pics are only from my phone.

My only previous DIY venture was the finishing of the Sachikos built by Steve (Aquapiranha), which to be honest I'm pretty chuffed with. Cheers Steve, I still owe you a weekend of unlimited vino for changing my life with your generosity. To get these accepted in a domestic environment was no mean feat!

The Frugal 3's are definately female gender and if you can't get a pass for these then you're stuck with Bose - in fact unless you've got four opposing thumbs you should get

Listening impressions to follow but obviously interesting compared to the Sachikos - 8" single driver at 6' tall compared to WAF friendly 4' driver smaller than the I-ron board. I still need to get some plinths sorted but it takes three days before anyone notices they've been put in the room. Happy Days!

[IMG]http://theartofsound.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=126&pictureid=750[/IMG
    Steve & Valerie

www.electricbeachaudio.com

If you think you know the answer already, you're not really searching

A plastic box, some glass bottles, two metal tins and some lengths of string

I'm Keith.

Very nice. I'm about to start building myself a pair. I was hoping to use toppsy's flat-pack too, but an unforseen event has eaten most of my budget (why does this always happen ?), so I'm having to downgrade to a cheap as chips, fully-diy build in 18mm mdf unstead - sorry Colin, I really wanted to put some business your way I'm sure they won't look as good as yours.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Colin.

Steve,
    Nice looking finish. Glad it all went together well.

Though they wont do the scale and dynamics of the Sachiko's they will impress. Just give the drivers time to bed in. And do experiment with the Dacron below the driver to adjust bass. I suggest starting with just a good handful of Dacron and place on the shelf.

Strange how many wives and female partners have such an large say in what they class as domestically acceptable speakers. In some cases no speaker is and then you have to reach a compromise. Sad as they may be. That's why I try to make all my speakers look like a piece of furniture and matching the wood finish to ones furniture seems to be a must.

You might want to consider a set of spiked outriggers to decouple the speakers from the wooden floor. This should tighten up the bass.

Keiths,
    No worries mate. To be honest they are a lot of work and hastle to put together as a kit and package up for not a lot of financial reward, but it keeps me busy. Just be cautious when cutting and machining MDF. The sawdust this stuff gives off is carcinogenic so do wear a face mask.
    Last edited by Toppsy; 14-03-2012 at 09:00. Reason: Added text

I'm Colin.

Steve,

The 'Outriggers' I referred to above are these:

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppsy View Post
    Steve,

The 'Outriggers' I referred to above are these:

Very pretty Colin!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Steve.

Sorry Colin but they're not aesthetically pleasing to me. No offense, it's a personal thing and I'm sure they serve their purpose admirably, but combined with the speaker shape they put me in mind of a child's hobby horse on wheels.
    Steve & Valerie

I'm Steve.

I think adding some simple granite plinths gives an authorative demeaner while still keeping the delicate appearance. Footprint increased only a gnat's each side and flush at the rear. The speaker is both decoupled and adhered to the base with sorbothene pads. The bass and the speaker are both solid yet the sound flows easily and breathes. Which is nice.

Steve & Valerie

I'm Keith.

They look great Steve.

My build's progress could be described as slow. Very slow. I need a fine day, where my dad is out at daycare and where I can spare a few hours away from working. So far in 4 weeks all those things have occured together precisely once - I got a couple of hours this Monday:

and that's it

I'll start my own build thread on here soon. I can only hope I end up with something half as good-looking as yours.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm ILOB.

Looks really nice Steve I am sure after the drivers have settled they will sound really nice
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Steve.

Thanks Keith. I bought some hours though.
    Steve & Valerie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast