+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metrum NOS MiniDAC Octave arrived . . .

I'm Bob.

Ok. It's been around 10 days of heavy use with the Octave now, and I've formed some opinions.

I'm using it currently on the end of a Squeezebox receiver in place of the Sonifex DAC I mentioned above.

The analogue outs from the SB receiver are greatly improved as you'd expect.

Comparisons with the Sonifex are interesting as this, too was a great improvement over the SB analogue out. What the Octave gives is a wider, deeper soundstage; a bit like going from 4:3 TV to 16:9. Not only that, the sound isn't as lean as it was with the Sonifex. I was going to say it was "fatter", but that implies bloat and excess - which is not my impression at all.

Bass reproduction is cleaner, faster and deeper, and just more tuneful. Midrange, eg for vocals, sax solos etc is wonderfully transparent. I mentioned above, the effect of having cleaned the audio window. Everything is just that bit closer to what I perceive to be the original sound (whatever that may be ).

One thing I have noticed is that small details have become apparent in recordings that I never heard before. Those things that are buried in the mix, and just pass you by. Rather than hearing them subliminally (if at all), the Octave allows you to differentiate them from their surroundings.

Just done a back to back with Brothers In Arms on vinyl (OM40/SL7/Era V Gold) - both into HD650s via a Graham Slee Solo SRGII. The vinyl was no slouch, but the Octave walked all over it in terms of depth (both soundstage and bass), though treble was remarkably similar.

Any downsides? Well, yes. With mp3 files it really shows up the lack of quality. An example was Vintage Trouble "Bomb Shelter Sessions". This was an impulse buy after seeing them on Jool's Later . . . Via the Octave, the sound was pretty nasty - distorted and generally rough; not a nice experience.

So the Octave doesn't gloss over anything, but given a good recording, or even a poor one mastered well - the sound is engaging and enveloping and just encourages you to keep listening. Which I suppose is all you could ask?

Obviously, YMMV, as they say - but the Octave does the trick for me.

---------------------------------------------------

Next step is to compare the analogue out from my Transporter with the digital out via the Octave. This will allow assessment of 96KHz files (the Receiver's feed gets downsampled to 48KHz by SqueezeServer).
    Last edited by morris_minor; 19-01-2012 at 10:12. Reason: added comment

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I was quite interested in this Dac but now you've said it sounds like a record player I'm not sure it's worth hearing.
    That has got to be 'quote of the year' - so far at least.

T'has fair restored my normal composure after reading some of Mr. B 's blatherings about how good adaptive USB is
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by morris_minor View Post
    To sum up my initial impressions, I'd say digital files (from my Squeezebox) have never sounded so much like good vinyl. No high frequency glare, just everything sounding "right".
    Well, the Metrum DAC is bedding in nicely, and my initial impressions have been echoed in a TNT review:

I suspect the Octave will appeal very much to people with preferences that go in the direction of vinyl rather than digital, as this is one of the most 'analogue' sounding DACs I know. Not that it sounds like vinyl, of course, but it certainly lacks everything that vinyl lovers dislike in digital, while still possessing virtually everything that digital has to offer.
    Virtually? Does that suggest that it doesn't offer everything that digital is capable of? If that is supposed to mean that there's no better digital source available, then no, because I know there are CD players and DACs that are even better. But for the asking price, the Octave is quite amazing and if you like its personality then I don't think you will be able to better it at double or perhaps even triple the money. Very highly recommended.

MartinT Guest

It looks nicely designed with a good PCB layout, something that always impresses me. No cottage industry hand-built feel to it.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    They look very nice Bob I just don't get why people design a top quality DAC & leave off an AES/EBU input & balanced analogue outputs though

If I can source a source with balanced outputs then that's what I'll go for, I think MartinT is probably of the same persuasion

Never the less I'll be interested in how it sounds, hope it's a cracker
    Dunno a BNC connection would be more desirable than an AES/EBU connection unless you are routing signals across a concert stage. :P

As for the Metrum DAC I look forward to hearing more about it.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 07-11-2012 at 23:16.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Bob.

As I just posted in another thread: "the Octave is doing fantastically well. It produces a deep, spacious, smooth sound free of any nasty digital edge and I'm dead pleased I bought it."

The new Metrum Hex should be worth hearing too, if your pockets stretch that far . . .

I'm Neil.

As I just posted in another thread: "the Octave is doing fantastically well. It produces a deep, spacious, smooth sound free of any nasty digital edge and I'm dead pleased I bought it."

The new Metrum Hex should be worth hearing too, if your pockets stretch that far . . .
    Try some piano or guitar with "attack", it'll blow you away, no oversampling / upsampling DAC can compare.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Try some piano or guitar with "attack", it'll blow you away, no oversampling / upsampling DAC can compare.
    A fairly recent download was a hi-res album from Aix (itracks) of Laurence Juber's "Guitar Noir". That is spookily tactile and "real"

I'm Richard.

Well, the Metrum DAC is bedding in nicely, and my initial impressions have been echoed in a TNT review:

Snip ..

... I know there are CD players and DACs that are even better. But for the asking price, the Octave is quite amazing and if you like its personality then I don't think you will be able to better it at double or perhaps even triple the money. Very highly recommended.
    So, which DAC do you have to buy to get a better performance than the Octave?

- Richard.
    Pioneer N-50; Lakewest MDAC Premium Fusion; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s; 2xAE subwoofers; Isotek GII Sigmas

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kimber View Post
    So, which DAC do you have to buy to get a better performance than the Octave?

- Richard.
    Not something I can really answer, though I'd think Metrum's new Hex would be one ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12