+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PL-71 capacitor replacement

I'm Bernie.

Default PL-71 capacitor replacement

I'm getting some speed drift on my PL-71 turntable and have decided to replace the 3 capacitors on the motor control board. I have some Panasonic FCs and also Nichicon Muse KZ and was wonderng which would perform the best?

Any opinions from those with more knowledge/experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Bernie.

I'm Simon.

The FC's will be lowest ESR and highest ripple, so if they are smoothing or storage caps use them.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    The FC's will be lowest ESR and highest ripple, so if they are smoothing or storage caps use them.
    Seconded, the FCs are designed for PSU caps
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Hugh.

Same problem when I had one of these decks. Just changing the power supply caps alone will not help as the circuit inside the motor itself needs doing as well. When I had mine serviced by Vantage there were more than 3 caps replaced in total along with some other parts. Ran sweet as a nut. Sold it and still running sweetly when I last heard. Nice solid deck for the money arm not too shabby either.

I'm Steve.

I changed them all - The motor board ones were a bit fiddly but doable.

I'm Bernie.

I want to do the easier stuff first and see how I go. I've replaced the switches so it doesn't stop half way through an LP now. The 3 caps on the regulator board are next. I used Deoxit on the speed adjuster pots and I'll check them for drift and replace if needed. Motor caps will be last as it seems to be the most difficult job.

Overall, it's in great condition and I want to get it looking and running like new. It's a lovely deck and I can't wait to get it sorted and actually use it!
    Bernie.

I'm stu.

Is it easy to do for a total novice bernie?
    301/Puresound 2A3/quite large Grf cab horny ones.Eminence/Coral/Le cleach

I'm Steve.

<thumbs up> The adjuster pots needed replacement on my deck too.

I'm Bernie.

Where did you get yours from Steve?
    Bernie.

I'm Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    Is it easy to do for a total novice bernie?
    If you can solder it's easy to replace the switches and caps. Just remove the panel on the base. I bought the switches from Maplins and the in/out/common terminals are different but it's easy to identify which is which with a multimeter. I replaced one wire at a time so I didn't get anything mixed up. I then put them all back in (mine has 3 switches) the wrong way round so they didn't open and close correctly. I thought I'd buggered something else up!

Anyway, after some checking of voltages with the different speed switches on and off I realised there was something seriously wrong. I went and had a look at the photo of the original switches I took (insurance) and realised my mistake. Works fine now.

I'll let you know how hard it is to do the motor caps!

Honestly, it's an easy deck to work on inside. Everything is only held in with a few screws. I'd say have a go. I'm by no means competent but, with some practice, anybody can solder a component. Get a solder pump/sucker for removal of components, which is the hardest part to be honest.
    Bernie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast