+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone had a play with Tellurium wires?

I'm Tom.

I bought some unterminated blue and had a short play last night with them. All I have at the moment to compare them against is my set of Black Mambas which I am very familiar with and the Belkins, which to be honest won't put up too much of a fight.

I cannot say there was a jaw dropping moment to be honest, but my initial perception is that they seem rather good at "untangling" music into it's individual strands, so bass is distinct and easy to follow note by note, so the timbres and harmonics shine clearly through. While treble per se is clear and crisp, it seems to have lost the air, space, ambience and depth in the recordings which I did apparently have with the Mambas. This isn't an absolute appraisal though, merely a snapshot of the cable as immediately installed and less than an hour at that.

Tonight I will have a longer head-to-head session with the Mambas plus several other cables that David Brook has kindly sent me to play with.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes, I thought similar when I heard Tony's,though it may be it's just more accurate.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    The blue is very good straight out of the packet, my main bugbear with music is sibilance...The blue really removed a degree of harshness from my previous system without throwing the baby out with the bath water.

The blue sounds very neutral, It doesn't colour the sound one way or the other...in comparison to the two belkins its far more revealing but not as harsh treble wise and overblown/ baggy bass wise.
    The van damme is brighter and far more bass laden....great for the money but not very honest and a good candidate for using a cable as a tone control .
    The atlas stuff again emphasises the frequency extremes....not much cop really.
    The chord stuff it replaced was more expensive than the blue but for me was far more coloured treble wise.
    I borrowed the blue from my dealer in glasgow, loud and clear and must admit the biggest shock was trying it in my sons system- my cast off CA dac /cyrus 1/ruark swordsman. feck... there's life in the old dog yet.

Regards Tony.
    A late reply and please don't chuck me out with the bath water, BUT..... it could fairly be argued that the no-nonsense Van Damme and Atlas cables were "correct" and the Blue you use is rolling off the frequency extremes, although this suits your ears and system better. More likely that the expensive cables are acting as tone controls because they've been designed that way? I agree about Chord Odyssey. I sold seemingly Km of the stuff, and it works a treat with Spendor S series and other spreakers with a slightly soft tone (and polypropylene bass units?). Into "faster" speakers with a snappy treble, it sounds very coloured and OTT I found...

I'll stick with my "Microphonic" baby Naim A5 cable I think. It's white, fits under the carpet around the fireplace and doesn't draw attention to itself.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Garry.

Quote Originally Posted by Effem View Post
    I bought some unterminated blue and had a short play last night with them. All I have at the moment to compare them against is my set of Black Mambas which I am very familiar with and the Belkins, which to be honest won't put up too much of a fight.

I cannot say there was a jaw dropping moment to be honest, but my initial perception is that they seem rather good at "untangling" music into it's individual strands, so bass is distinct and easy to follow note by note, so the timbres and harmonics shine clearly through. While treble per se is clear and crisp, it seems to have lost the air, space, ambience and depth in the recordings which I did apparently have with the Mambas. This isn't an absolute appraisal though, merely a snapshot of the cable as immediately installed and less than an hour at that.

Tonight I will have a longer head-to-head session with the Mambas plus several other cables that David Brook has kindly sent me to play with.
    I also bought some unterminated Blue and new z plugs about a week ago and have compared them to my Mambas. My intitial impression is extremely favourable in terms of clarity, focus and musical timbre. I also agree with Frank, Tony and Ali in that they seem to be very accurate in unravelling music into its component threads. However I am begining to hear some depth and space the more I listen, but it is still early days. I would love to hear the Black and Ultra Black at some point but that is one for future.
    "I'm of an age where my back goes out more than I do" - Phyllis Diller

Garry.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Don't all these wires come from BICC and use exactly the same copper these days?

I'll get me coat.........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

MartinT Guest

I had a good chat with Divine Audio yesterday, ordering another XLR Black pair of interconnects. I asked him about the Ultra Black speaker cables and he is going to send me a loan pair of them and the Greens. Looking forward to comparing them with my £5k Kimber Select KS-3035 (which I would love to sell due to their increased value).

I'm Martin.

Handy if you can upgrade your cables and actually gain money at the same time
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

MartinT Guest

Here's hoping. All proceeds to go to my next upgrade fund.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Here's hoping. All proceeds to go to my next upgrade fund.
    Martin check your sig you've got practically no where left to go
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

MartinT Guest

I'd like to replace my Powerplant Premier with a Perfectwave P10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast