+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thorens TD124

I'm Dominic.

Hi Simon, I'm Natalie Dom's partner. We have had quite a few TD124s here and I have to say they are one of my favourite decks. I can tell you that yours looks very tidy and in good condition from the photo's. I am going to try and get A 124 myself and make it my project, but will have to save quite a few pennies first. It will be interesting to see how you get along with yours. I look forward to seeing your progress on this and reading your posts.

Natalie

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    From the picture above, the motor looks to have its bottom bearing cap still attached by the original rivets. Are you referring to the bolts/nuts holding the top and bottom in place, in which case that's how they were originally made Whatever, it will almost certainly benefit from a re-lube job.
    Ah ok, I thought it was the main top and bottom motor covers were riveted on.
    I stand corrected.

I have a full relube kit on order from Joel on ebay, so that should hopfully be here in a few days.
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Harper View Post
    Hi Simon, I'm Natalie Dom's partner. We have had quite a few TD124s here and I have to say they are one of my favourite decks. I can tell you that yours looks very tidy and in good condition from the photo's. I am going to try and get A 124 myself and make it my project, but will have to save quite a few pennies first. It will be interesting to see how you get along with yours. I look forward to seeing your progress on this and reading your posts.

Natalie
    Hi Natalie, thanks for your post, This is a very steep learning curve for me as it is my first TT, but the knowledge and help from people here and on other sites is invaluable.

I have been very lucky the 124 is in generally good condition it has been stored somewhere damp at some point in its life as the little strobe plate was rusty and the bright work is showing signs on some pitting although this had all been cleaned before I got the TT.

So next stage is to clean and relube the main bearing, idler, stepped pulley and motor. So I'll post some more pictures when I have it stripped.
    Source: Thorens TD124 Rega RB300, Sumiko bluepoint No2., Cambridge Audio D500 Special Edition CDP, Squeeze box Touch, PC with Trends Audio USB Audio DAC UD-10 Amplification: Croft Micro 25 basic pre, Leak Stereo 20, Trends Audio Class T TA-10, Fisher X100-A Speakers:Impulse H6 Interconnects: Handmade silver and TNT audio CAT5 speaker cables

I'm Simon.

I Have been having a look at the main bearing shaft this evening there is a small scratch running around the bearing about 10mm up from the bottom.
    I can just about feel it with a finger nail. Is this something I need to polish out and if so how? Or am I being to picky?

Thanks

Simon

I'm Simon.

Default Motor shaft

Just stripped the motor this evening and just want to check with you guys if the bottom of the motor shaft is ok?
    It looks like there is quite a lot of wear from the bottom bush on the bearing shaft please see the image below:

is this ok? and if not can the shaft be polished?

Thanks Simon

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I am probably wrong on this, but since the motor spins at a fir rate of knots, the dull bit at the bottom is possibly the bit that never touches the bushings. In any case, a good soaking of the bushes on oil and careful reassembly should see you out and prolong the motor another forty five years or so before needing to be dismantled again

The main bearing will have very slight running marks on it by now, which won't be a problem as long as the bushes are kept lubricated (I think Thorens used to use a not-too-viscous turbine oil in their bearings). I've used good old EP80 with no ill effects whatsoever (I've "done" a few 124's but sadly never owned one, despite having the chance a few times in my career). The ball at the bottom of the spindle can easily acquire a "flat" and this isn't an issue 'cos it can be rotated a little to present a fresh contact surface.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by simon e View Post
    Just stripped the motor this evening and just want to check with you guys if the bottom of the motor shaft is ok?
    It looks like there is quite a lot of wear from the bottom bush on the bearing shaft please see the image below:

is this ok? and if not can the shaft be polished?

Thanks Simon
    The motor shaft runs on a tiny ball, so the marks that you can see are probably not critical, unless there's quite a bit of play between the shaft and the oilite bearing. It probably only requires lubrication and a new ball and thrust pad - you can get the parts from Joel Boutreux via eBay (see his TD124 service kit at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOEL-S-SER...item43ac8e40c5 ). If you do have a great deal of play in the oilite bearings, then these will need to be replaced, in which case I recommend Jim Campbell's motor kit ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-1...item35b83ce8a5 ) - he may sell the bearings on their own if asked.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I am probably wrong on this, but since the motor spins at a fir rate of knots, the dull bit at the bottom is possibly the bit that never touches the bushings. In any case, a good soaking of the bushes on oil and careful reassembly should see you out and prolong the motor another forty five years or so before needing to be dismantled again

The main bearing will have very slight running marks on it by now, which won't be a problem as long as the bushes are kept lubricated (I think Thorens used to use a not-too-viscous turbine oil in their bearings). I've used good old EP80 with no ill effects whatsoever (I've "done" a few 124's but sadly never owned one, despite having the chance a few times in my career). The ball at the bottom of the spindle can easily acquire a "flat" and this isn't an issue 'cos it can be rotated a little to present a fresh contact surface.
    I was thinking the dull bit could sit outside of the bottom bush, I can't really feel a groove on the shaft so it can't be that bad.

If I want to try and polish it, is brasso ok to use?

The main bearing as in the pictures further up the thread is in pretty good condition with only very slight marks on it.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    The motor shaft runs on a tiny ball, so the marks that you can see are probably not critical, unless there's quite a bit of play between the shaft and the oilite bearing. It probably only requires lubrication and a new ball and thrust pad - you can get the parts from Joel Boutreux via eBay (see his TD124 service kit at http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOEL-S-SER...item43ac8e40c5 ). If you do have a great deal of play in the oilite bearings, then these will need to be replaced, in which case I recommend Jim Campbell's motor kit ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-TD-1...item35b83ce8a5 ) - he may sell the bearings on their own if asked.
    I have Joel Boutreux service set which is very good, and have cleaned up the bronze bushes, which look ok. I haven't checked the play yet so I will do that this evening.

I'm Simon.

Ok so I've just out the motor back together. Now how quietly should this run?

At the moment with the top and bottom covers still loose. All I can hear is a whirring sound with my ear up close to the motor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast